Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application: Drug History Question

Hey all,

I'm applying to a local PD and filling out the application. I'm being careful to be completely honest in answering all of the questions. The question is, "Have you ever used, or possessed for use, any form of illegal drugs, including marijuana?" I have never done drugs, but my question is would they consider taking a medication prescribed to someone else as having taken a "form of illegal drugs"? I'm sure at some point growing up, I probably have taken some medicine that one of my brothers or sisters had left over from when they were not feeling well, and I came down with the same thing they had or another instance was a year or so ago, I had an injury and someone had a pain medication left over that a doctor had prescribed to them. I believe it was vicodin, or maybe a muscle relaxer. I didn't take the medicine, because I don't like taking medicine unless absolutely necessary. But, technically I possessed a drug that was not prescribed to me (possibly vicodin at that). Am I being too picky or is this something they would expect me to put down as qualifying for taking or possessing an illegal drug. Thanks for any help.

The answer is no. Do not mention that. Keep it moving.

Comment

Don't put it down. Seriously, I appreciate your commitment to full disclosure, but you didn't take the medicine in question. If you had, I'd say put it down. But you didn't.

And for what it's worth, I put down on my SF-86 that I shared RX antibiotics with sick friends while abroad who I knew had food poisoning. I still passed my BI (and the interviewer even seemed to find it charming that I listed that). But I really don't think the situations you describe warrant listing, and they really could snag your application. Think of it this way: many women carry their birth control in their purses--should every guy who has ever held his girlfriend's purse while she goes to the bathroom have to list that he illegally possessed RX medication?

Comment

Always err on the side of disclosure because if you fail to disclose it, and it's in your head, it will trip you up on the poly.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevian View Post
          Always err on the side of disclosure because if you fail to disclose it, and it's in your head, it will trip you up on the poly.
          That's a great point. I forgot about the polygraph. Go with Trevian's advice.

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. App is filled out and ready to go!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7708 users online. 357 members and 7351 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X