Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret Service Eye Surgery Question - VISIAN ICL

Hi everyone -

I know LASIK, PRK, RK, etc are acceptable eye surgeries for the USSS SA position. However, the doc told me I'm only a candidate for a surgery called Visian ICL which has been around since the 70s. He noted that the #1 user of these surgeries is the US Military.

I called the recruitment office for the USSS and they told me that it may not be listed because it's uncommon. This type of surgery is actually less risky and gives users sharper vision that any of the laser surgeries. The only downfall? It costs 8 grand.

Does anyone know if this is acceptable?

Thanks!

If you called the USSS recruitment office, didn't they tell you whether it would be acceptable? Before shelling out 8 grand, I would do 2 things: (1) Get a second opinion; (2) Inquire through the agency about whether the medical folks will sign off on this. Shouldn't be too hard to do...
    Good luck

Comment

One would think it were that easy, right? I called the recruitment office and the gentleman told me I'm only the 2nd person that has inquired about this and that the announcement may not have it listed because it's not a common procedure (when in fact most of the military uses it).

He transferred me to Safety & Health and after getting passed a pretty rude gatekeeper, the woman who I was trying to reach wasn't at her desk so I left a message.

Dont know who else to call

Comment

Try someone from the HR squad at your closest field office. They should be able to find out for you if you the main D.C. numbers aren't helpful.
        Don't know what else to tell ya (and I'm on the job...wish I had some magic number for you, but I don't)

Comment

Thanks for the advice Trevian. I do appreciate it

Comment

As a former USSS, if they say LASIK, PRK, And RK and nothing else, then nothing else is likely acceptable. What happens if a GS-5 clerk at the USSS gives you bad information?

The bottom line is why take the chance? LASIK is accepted, proven reliable and much cheaper. For me it's a no-brainer.

FWIW, I never even heard of the other procedure.

Sorry, didn't catch your statement that the procedure recommended is the only one that'll work for you. Get a second and third opinion. At least one of the three procedures accepted by the USSS work for most people.
            Last edited by GoldBadge; 06-25-2013, 10:56 AM. Reason: Careless reading
            They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
              As a former USSS, if they say LASIK, PRK, And RK and nothing else, then nothing else is likely acceptable. What happens if a GS-5 clerk at the USSS gives you bad information?

The bottom line is why take the chance? LASIK is accepted, proven reliable and much cheaper. For me it's a no-brainer.

FWIW, I never even heard of the other procedure.
              I wish I could get LASIK. The doc told me if I were his brother, he wouldn't let me get LASIK because my cornea is too thin. He told me this ICL procedure is actually better.

Just as some background info, the ICL procedure works almost like cataract surgery in that the surgeon puts a new "lens" in between the iris and the lens that you were born with. In cataract surgery, they take out the old lens and put in a completely new one. In ICL surgery, they essentially put a contact lens over the original lens. The recovery time is actually faster than LASIK/PRK/RK and the results are better (HD vision), which is why the Army prefers soldiers get ICL over the laser options. The surgery is even completely reversible.

Comment

Doctor also told me that many soldiers who experience IED and grenade blasts in battle haven't experienced any movement or discomfort of their eyes, which is another reason the Army prefers it.

Comment

My bad dp215, I read your post too quickly and missed the important fact.

Do try getting a second opinion from a reputable doctor. Some eye surgery doctors are able to do what others can't.
                  They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

So my application just got referred to the next step (NE region). I can't seem to get a straight answer about the surgery from ANYONE. I'm exhausting all channels. Anyone else have an idea?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7190 users online. 349 members and 6841 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X