300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring Process

I recently took the written test at my local department, the same department I have been a Police Explorer at for years, and the same department my father has worked at for 18 years. Today, I found out I placed 1st on the written test (95 of of 100) in a group of 65, all full of people with college, military service, and prior LEO experience. Through some miracle I did so well on the test that if the next lowest person on the test had all three and the preference points that went with it they could only tie me, so its safe to say I did pretty well considering. I have tested once before and did not do nearly as well, but I gained some experience off of that test.

Sat. is our PT test, and luckily I passed that easily last test, and it is only a Pass / Fail so I have no worries about that. The next step after that is to get an "Interview" packet which asks general questions to gauge each candidate, then after that there is a board interview which is basically the same thing but after these two steps there is a re-ranking of candidates from the original written test list. And after that there is the Chief's interview and job offering after a background check.

I am very nervous about the packet and the board interview process. I am planning on filling out the packet myself, then allowing officers I ride along with and other officers on shift to review it if they wish and offer advice if they were so kind to do that. The board interview is hard to prepare for considering it changes every time, but the largest theme of the questions pertain to how to handle yourself in certain situations (IE situations that range from calls for service to personal matters to how to handle situations of questionable morals) I do have an advantage however in that all of the officers and supervisors I interact with have a great liking for me and I have built a strong reputation of a person that is reliable, honest, intelligent, and respectful. And of course they all know how much I want to work along side of them.

I guess I am nervous because I know I am competing against several others who are older than me by many years ( I am 20 ) and who have more life experience. The biggest things I have going for me is the fact that most everyone at the department knows who I am and my good reputation, and the fact that I did so well on the test (I actually scored higher on this test than my father did years ago) and luckily the Chief values the results of that test very highly. Is there anything I can do to prepare myself for this entire process or to try and help keep the stress and nervousness to a minimal ?

The biggest hurdle you'll have is getting yourself to realize you can't prepare for these boards. Go in there with an open mind and pay attention. Unless someone gives you the questions before hand, you won't have a clue. Just relax. Don't go in there and make up situations, go in there and take a second before you answer. Absorb what they ask you. Use your experience as an Explorer or in your real world experiences to answer the questions. It seems like you have your mind set on this job which will make it tough for you to calm down. But throughout it all, just tell yourself to relax. If you stumble, take a second and recover. There's little to nothing you can do for these to prepare. It's all in your mind at this point.

Comment

Well that's good I suppose. I am pretty good on my feet and level headed (at least what I am told) and I definitely have my heart set on the job, it is my dream department in my home town doing the same thing my father did years ago. Ever since I was old enough to understand what my dad did to help my community that is all I have ever wanted to do was to wear a badge and serve my community.

The big thing that's helped me so far is a combination of working where i do now, ( I work security at a local college and I get to handle quite a bit of calls and situations on my own, and my ultimate boss is always impressed with my work ethic report writing and professionalism.) and riding along with older wiser officers. Usually on a slow night I am drilled on what to do in certain generalized situations to get the thought process going behind every call and how to keep myself out of trouble both in the department and legally.

Comment

Fyi I was hired

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8151 users online. 371 members and 7780 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X