300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to get into 1811's

-Was thinking about being a police officer and then attempting to apply, but was told that unless I make it to swat or another special unit my chances are low

-I have consider the military, but don't know with job in the military I should try to get...anyone know?

***Can't go straight to an 1811 job because of my lack of experience. Just graduated college (undergrad)***

Also heard I should get a masters degree (but in what?) or law degree ?

Comment

Being really qualified helps. Honestly it's pure luck.

Comment

As a recent college grad and Fed LEO I will help to answer. Your chances of getting 1811 are very slim. Most agencies now are only hiring vets. A bachelors will only get you to qualify for a GS-5 and if you have superior academic achievement (3.2 or higher) then a GS-7. Also if you have no experience then you will be deemed not qualified when you answer your KSA's. It also depends on your degree, CJ degrees are a dime a dozen and most agencies want people with experience in foreign language or taxation accounting and finance or computers.

Besides joining the military and doing time there to get veterans preference you only have 3 viable options.

Go back, get a masters degree get a job working in either one of the above three fields and wait for an agency to open up.

Get a job with the agency you want in a support or other position and network. Wait for that agency to open up 1811 slots, then use your fed status with the agency to gain a higher spot on the cert list. (currently what I am doing 083 to 1811 hopeful)

Go local PD and work the road, gain experience in court, writing and serving warrants and arresting people and you will do much better on the cert list when they open an announcement to the general public. You don't need to be in a specialty unit to make an 1811 cert although it would help. The biggest thing is being able to make the cert list on the computer, then get to the interview and prove that you know how to handle cases.

Hope this helps

Comment

Some great points made, but another route in the military is to try and join Air Force AFOSI and the Coast Guards CGIS. When I went through FLETC, half of my CITP class was military. Another option is Army CID (they don't get the FLETC training) but I have heard of Army CID agents being hired as 1811 OIG's.

Comment

Originally posted by signalfreq View Post
            Some great points made, but another route in the military is to try and join Air Force AFOSI and the Coast Guards CGIS. When I went through FLETC, half of my CITP class was military. Another option is Army CID (they don't get the FLETC training) but I have heard of Army CID agents being hired as 1811 OIG's.
            Army CID is an enlisted only option and you have to be a E-5 usually. AFOSI is primarily enlisted as well and their officer spots are very competitive and not guranteed, you just get to put them on your "wish list" of primary jobs when you submit your OTS packet. I don't know enough to comment on the coast guard. Bottom line though is you want to join the military do it, but don't expect to get one of these investigative positions right away if at all.

Comment

In addition to the suggestion to get into a support position for a given agency, I would add looking for internships/student coops while working on a masters. Get your foot in the door any way you can.

Comment

Without vet points you are at a tremendous disadvantage. Try getting into the military as a commissioned officer. An intelligence position would be helpful. But whatever you do, don't waste your money on grad/law school if your goal is getting an 1811 job.

Comment

Originally posted by krash131 View Post
                  As a recent college grad and Fed LEO I will help to answer. Your chances of getting 1811 are very slim. Most agencies now are only hiring vets. A bachelors will only get you to qualify for a GS-5 and if you have superior academic achievement (3.2 or higher) then a GS-7. Also if you have no experience then you will be deemed not qualified when you answer your KSA's. It also depends on your degree, CJ degrees are a dime a dozen and most agencies want people with experience in foreign language or taxation accounting and finance or computers.

Besides joining the military and doing time there to get veterans preference you only have 3 viable options.

Go back, get a masters degree get a job working in either one of the above three fields and wait for an agency to open up.

Get a job with the agency you want in a support or other position and network. Wait for that agency to open up 1811 slots, then use your fed status with the agency to gain a higher spot on the cert list. (currently what I am doing 083 to 1811 hopeful)

Go local PD and work the road, gain experience in court, writing and serving warrants and arresting people and you will do much better on the cert list when they open an announcement to the general public. You don't need to be in a specialty unit to make an 1811 cert although it would help. The biggest thing is being able to make the cert list on the computer, then get to the interview and prove that you know how to handle cases.

Hope this helps
                  wow, thanks!

if you had to pick which one would you pick Local PD or Military?

Comment

Best bet? Land a uniformed fed LEO job and put 3 to 5 years (or more) into it. No, it doesn't have to be with the agency that you hope to end up with. Then again, with 3 to 5 years of the view from the inside, maybe where you hope to land will be the same, maybe not. Best of luck.

Comment

Both have their pros and cons. I've worked in local pd, fed 1811 internship, and now fed uniformed so this is what I've learned.

I was a cgis intern. Mighty fine agency, would love to get back in and have been trying. But even with hooks I have had difficulty getting past the usajobs cert.

If you do the military route I would like another poster above said go with intel. It's much more applicable to the kind of work you will be doing as an investigator. Also being an mp doesn't always guarantee that you will get selected when the 1811 slots for afosi or CID or anywhere else opens up as mps make up a good portion of the applicant pool. Military investigative agencies are smaller and many are very selective. As a guy working intel or an mp you will most likely have contact with CID afosi, dcis, cgis Ncis or other agencies so not a bad way to network. Plus you will get veterans preference once your out so can't hurt.

Local le. If you work in a small county or town many will allow you to build and close your own cases. You will do everything from the preliminary investigation, to the evidence gather to writing ad serving the warrant to seeing the case through court. Sometimes you may work with the detectives sometimes you may not depends on the agency. A very good way to build the resume and something that will defiantly get you to score much higher on the usajobs cert list. Also depending on your location and your reputation you may have an option to get assigned to the jttf or other regional multi agency task force. Also extremely helpful for 1811.

If it was up to me personally I would do both, go into the military as a reservist and work local pd. come at the experience side from both angles. I know cgis and afosi reserve agents all must be current Leo's that's actually what I plan to do once I figure out my next career move.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                        Best bet? Land a uniformed fed LEO job and put 3 to 5 years (or more) into it. No, it doesn't have to be with the agency that you hope to end up with. Then again, with 3 to 5 years of the view from the inside, maybe where you hope to land will be the same, maybe not. Best of luck.

Doing that now and a lot harder then it seems

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                          I've had a uniformed fed LEO job for over 5 years now with a BA and I could not even test for the last three 1811 jobs I've applied for because I don't have vet points. The last agency flat out told me I could not test because they gave all available slots to applicants with vet pts. So if you want really want an 1811 job, get those vet points.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul554 View Post
                            Army CID is an enlisted only option
                            Errr....CID does have GS 9-14 spots around the US for Criminal Investigations and OIG Investigations. Once again, one has to have experience but they are there...

Originally posted by Paul554 View Post
                            AFOSI is primarily enlisted as well and their officer spots are very competitive
                            Errr....AFOSI does hire civilian 1811s.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                              Errr....CID does have GS 9-14 spots around the US for Criminal Investigations and OIG Investigations. Once again, one has to have experience but they are there...

Errr....AFOSI does hire civilian 1811s.....
                              I meant in regards to going into the military and trying to get these options.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9100 users online. 416 members and 8684 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X