Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again guys for the honest feedback. I had planned on going 12+ months with no income as part of the plan. That being said, burning through my savings is not optimal by any means. If I put myself thorugh the academy, that is 4 months or so. My thought is that I can then go to work if it means doing the tech thing, or what I do now as a side business of buying, fixing, and flipping cars. The car thing allows me the freedoms to work around the various testing schedules and interviews.

I have sent an interest request to the local Sheriff Dept here to learn more about the reserve program. I agree that this would be a good idea to get my feet wet to see if it's something I really want to do. I just need to better understand the requirements for getting in, time commitments, etc. if I am going to keep my current job while attempting to do so.

Comment

I was going to start a seperate thread, but figured I would ask here first. I have a question about an incident I was involved in 6 months ago, and how it might affect my ability to be hired.

It's a long story, but the short of it is that 6 months ago my father attempted to attack me while at a pub. There is a long history leading up to this, but basically a drink was thrown in my face and he came at me. I took a stance and hit him once to defend myself. In doing so, it caused him to receive 17 stitches. Officers were called, and took down all of the information, interviewed witnesses, etc. My father fled the scene, and when contacted by the officer, would not return to file charges.

After speaking with the officers they said I was free to go, since it was an act of self defense that was supported by witnesses. The next day my father went to the police station in an attempt to file charges (he was pushing for a Felony charge). When the officer told him at most it would be a misdemeanor, he was furious and proceeded to call me and my girlfriend telling me he was going to put a bullet in my head, followed by several threatening text messages. Needless to say, he's not the most mature or intelligent guy. I was sick to my stomach that it came to this, but I also know his past and what he is capable of. For reference, he tried fighting the Karaoke guy at the same bar a few months before this, and I have personally witnessed him in multiple fights.

My question is, how would something like this affect my backgorund investigation? I assume they interview family, and he will do anything possible to throw me under the bus. I would hope that the positive references from most all others that would be interviewed would cancel out this negative,but a bit unsure. Feedback is appreciated, and if there is a better place to post this, please let me know.

Comment

Sounds like a non issue. Plenty of cops with messed up parents, ex wives, kids, etc etc. A decent background investigator can read between the lines.

Comment

Your skills would be very valuable as a special agent/criminal investigator (1811). Take a look at www(dot)specialagent(dot)blog(dot)com.

Comment

Originally posted by RDM_SoCA View Post
            I was going to start a seperate thread, but figured I would ask here first. I have a question about an incident I was involved in 6 months ago, and how it might affect my ability to be hired.

It's a long story, but the short of it is that 6 months ago my father attempted to attack me while at a pub. There is a long history leading up to this, but basically a drink was thrown in my face and he came at me. I took a stance and hit him once to defend myself. In doing so, it caused him to receive 17 stitches. Officers were called, and took down all of the information, interviewed witnesses, etc. My father fled the scene, and when contacted by the officer, would not return to file charges.

After speaking with the officers they said I was free to go, since it was an act of self defense that was supported by witnesses. The next day my father went to the police station in an attempt to file charges (he was pushing for a Felony charge). When the officer told him at most it would be a misdemeanor, he was furious and proceeded to call me and my girlfriend telling me he was going to put a bullet in my head, followed by several threatening text messages. Needless to say, he's not the most mature or intelligent guy. I was sick to my stomach that it came to this, but I also know his past and what he is capable of. For reference, he tried fighting the Karaoke guy at the same bar a few months before this, and I have personally witnessed him in multiple fights.

My question is, how would something like this affect my backgorund investigation? I assume they interview family, and he will do anything possible to throw me under the bus. I would hope that the positive references from most all others that would be interviewed would cancel out this negative,but a bit unsure. Feedback is appreciated, and if there is a better place to post this, please let me know.
            There are two sides to every story, but this strikes me as a large red flag. If I'm a background investigator I'm going to wonder what really happened here. Were you drinking? How much did you have to drink? How does a drink thrown in a face warrant a punch that requires 17 stitches? If the cops told your father they were willing to charge a misdemeanor for this then it implies that some criminal act was believed to have been committed by you. In most cases requiring 17 stitches to someones face is going to be felony assault and having this happened only 6 months ago is a big deal. Now some investigation can be done to show this not to be the case but would I really want to do all that work for a non-degree holding, non-military, non-prior LE applicant when chances are I have tons of more qualified applicants with squeaky clean backgrounds?

Remember not being charged with a crime and not having committed a crime is not the same thing!

Comment

Huge bump here sorry!! Whatever ended up happening with you Sir?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5177 users online. 204 members and 4973 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X