300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1811 Laterals/Transfers

Does anybody have any information on laterals/transfers for current 1811's?

Any information that you can provide about the process and/or specific agencies would be appreciated.

Originally posted by tjacks7 View Post

Any information that you can provide about the process and/or specific agencies would be appreciated.
    Not necessarily easy to do, and definitely not automatic. I tried to do so on a few occasions a few years ago and had no luck. I was Excepted Service 1811 (GS-13) with no Veteran's Preference and no prior Competitive Service time. If you're competitive service it may be easier, if you're a vet it may be a LOT easier, but for me it was a no-go and I ultimately left federal service in an effort to obtain employment closer to family.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tjacks7 View Post

I know a few folks who have made the move from excepted service to competitive but they brought with them extensive experience and were tapped to fill a very specific billet for which they had what seemed like tailor made backgrounds.

It is agency specific. You will likely find a greater degree of success if you look at the various IG shops or higher graded positions (circa GS-13 and above) where you are more the program manager than door kicker. Also, depending on the agency, if you already have CITP down, you will potentially only have to complete their agency specific training program (post FLETC).

You will need to apply and meet all the requirements as would a new hire from outside. This includes medical, background, poly and so on. While some of your stuff may “transfer”, agencies have been known to run folks through the entire process regardless of the applicant’s current status with the G.
      If selected, you will need to accept the position and negotiate a start date in concert with your HR. The loosing agency can hold you for as I recall 90 days if your immediate departure would cause undue issues. When your EOD approaches you would resign from your current agency typically on a Friday and start with your new agency in the following Monday. Mind you that agency rules may have you riding a desk sans a gun until you roll through the qualification and such.

Bear in mind it is not always a seamless process-you have to go through the check-out process: turn in badge/credz, gun, equipment, g-ride, turnover case files, notify the AUSA, ensure your leave balances are current, get an SF-50 cut, close-out your LEAP pay, attend your going away, get read out of any SAPs, turn in building badge and so on. All the while you are expected to do your job and get moving towards the new job.

You will need to carefully examine the particular job announcement to see what the requisites are for the given vacancy and what they are looking for. Specifically some say current GS employees serving as an 1811.
      Originally posted by SSD
      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

^What he said.

Beyond that, there's not much to know, really. Agencies, typically though not necessarily the larger ones, occasionally make announcements targeting the talent pool from other agencies. The announcements may vary a bit from agency to agency and year to year, but basically the requirements are written to cast as large a net as possible: CITP or comparable, and either 3-5 years experience as an 1811 or having reached journeyman level as an 1811. The success rates, all the candidates already being 1811s, bear in mind, are typically based on an evaluation of the following factors: personal reputation, the quality of the competition, and luck.
        Last edited by Erik; 05-07-2013, 01:13 PM.

Comment

5+ years from big name 3 letter agency is what I heard most have, obviously it's also easier if your a vet and have a degree. The easiest way though is to transfer down so to speak. Going to smaller agency IG, or 1811 spot with the VA, CID army or such. I know at least two CID agents in the army who were hired basically because they could just start working and didn't need any academy time. Really though its mainly luck without that Vet preference since all your time and experience can mean jack if there is a 10 point vet applying as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul554 View Post
            Really though its mainly luck without that Vet preference since all your time and experience can mean jack if there is a 10 point vet applying as well.
            This is what I found to be true. While sgt jon makes valid points, most of the "perfect fit" 1811 lateral annoucements are made for someone the hiring agency already knows and intends to hire, not to serve as a true general annoucement where they haven't already identified their pick.
            sigpic

Comment

"...most of the "perfect fit" 1811 lateral announcements are made for someone the hiring agency already knows and intends to hire..."

For smaller agencies, perhaps. The larger one's compile relatively large lists and attempt to gather the best people from them.

Comment

I can say with OIGs we often already have an 1811 in mind or work of a very short list. I have Vets preference, but many of my buddies didn't and have lateraled to 1-2 OIGs. The key I found was to network and reach out the SAC/ASAC that was hiring. The others I've seen lateral had a buddy in the OIG who could vouch or worked a case with some of the SAs. That is not to say that 1811 from the alphabet agencies don't get hired, but i've seen more laterals among the OIGs.
                ...and is commended as being worthy of trust and confidence

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  For smaller agencies, perhaps. The larger one's compile relatively large lists and attempt to gather the best people from them.
                  But of course the larger agencies don't tend to put ou the "perfect fit" annoucements. That's more common of the smaller agencies. Not so say a larger agency won't do it if they need a very specific skill set, but larger agencies tend to post general annoucements for entry-level/non-lateral positions.
                  sigpic

Comment

Knowing several folks who have gone both routes (to and/or from large and small agencies), I agree.
                    Last edited by Erik; 05-08-2013, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I have a question for you current 1811's. I'm currently a DoD 0083 and before that was a DOI 0025. I have a Master's Degree, I'm a graduate of a basic FLETC course that could be considered equal to CITP. I did the work of a 1811 and had a few felony cases and worked along side USMS,FBI, and ICE. I have career conditional status and a non competitive status schedule A. But I'm not a Vet. I have applied for almost every 1811 position the past two years for GS7 to GS12. I have had a few interviews. What more can I do to get a 1811 position?

Comment

Continue to work felony level complex investigations which will be challenging in your current position. You and I have communicated before, but those past issues are going to very challenging to overcome, especially if they are down played. You are better off being candid about it. I've seen quite a few what appeared to be good candidates get eliminated for down playing an event. I've also seen an a former 1811 canned for DUI and some other issues (long story). He went to an 0083 just to stay federal was very candid about the incident that he was young messed up and learned his lesson. He got back to to a 6c 1801 then 1811 position, took like 7 years but he did come back from it.

LMPT is not considered the equivalent of CITP. Just sayin, and claiming that to people who know that again will attack the being candid about it. I'm not saying that LMPT guys have not done complex felony investigations, in fact many have, but they claiming "CITP" equivalent it is not.
                        Last edited by OIG1811; 05-09-2013, 12:36 AM.
                        ...and is commended as being worthy of trust and confidence

Comment

Originally posted by k9james View Post
                          I'm a graduate of a basic FLETC course that could be considered equal to CITP. I did the work of a 1811 and had a few felony cases and worked along side USMS,FBI, and ICE. I have career conditional status and a non competitive status schedule A. But I'm not a Vet. I have applied for almost every 1811 position the past two years for GS7 to GS12. I have had a few interviews. What more can I do to get a 1811 position?
                          Are you an 0083 investigator or 0083 uniformed officer?

Also, what do you mean by "I'm a graduate of a basic FLETC course that could be considered equal to CITP?" CITP is a FLETC course, and as far as I know is the only criminal investigator basic course FLETC offers.
                          sigpic

Comment

The FBI and DEA programs for special agents are the only "comparable programs" that I am aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              The FBI and DEA programs for special agents are the only "comparable programs" that I am aware of.
                              The USPIS academy is also considered CITP-comparable, and is also not at FLETC.
                              sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7455 users online. 374 members and 7081 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X