300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on Private Law Enforcement Acadmies

I'm currently in the military, and my exit date is March 2015. Some of my veteran friends told me that I can use my GI Bill to go to a private law enforcement academy, and military will pay for all of the tuition, supply, and even cost of living while attending academy. Also, they told me that a lot of small agencies will hire people graduating from private law enforcement academies. So how do these work?

career31905,
    You use the post 911 G.I. Bill for these as most are accredited junior college, or in Florida a state university that have law enforcement academies. GI Bill will not pay for all the equipment, just the tuition and books while giving you housing allowance equal to E-5 housing allowance with dependents for the zip code of the school. Once you complete the academy and pass the state POST exame you become a certified officer and can apply with agencies as an academy graduate. Jobs are not guaranteed, but generally departments do hire POST certified officers above non-post certified. You need to check with the agency in which you intend to apply for their exact requirements, and with state law enforcment certification agency to see what the qualifications are for obtaining certification. You have a while before you are ready to really make the jump. Just keep in mind, when you're 9 month out from discharge, start your process with Transition Assistance program, and VA Disability benefit application.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

I used Pell grants to pay for my academy. I would look into that, personally, before I used my GI bill. Wait and use the GI bill for an actual degree, vice the certification. More bang for your buck, in my opinion.

Comment

While small agencies may hire from these open enrolment academies, these acaedemies churn out many more graduates than there are available positions. Open enrolment academies are in the business of making money; they are not in the business of worrying about whether you get a job when you graduate. It is very much a Catch-22 crap shoot.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7979 users online. 341 members and 7638 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X