Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Department or Sheriff's Office

My current dilema is as follows:
    I am currently working for my counties sheriff's office as a support staff agent. Many of you may know this position as TAC officer/ Terminal Agent. My main duties in this area is warrant entry, civil entry, subpoena entry, report entries and basically any paperwork that comes to and from this office.
    It is a wonderful job to know that alot of this office depends on this position and it has to be done right.

The problem comes because I am a male surrounded by females because of it being a "desk" job. Thats not what bothers me but it does play a part. Im currently 23 years old and have no intentions sitting behind this computer my entire career.

I work 6pm to 6am shift and most of my nights are spent listening to dispatch/ deputies, which I love to do. I have so much interest in learning, that in the seven months I have been employed I can clearly communicate with deputies over the radio when the time presents itself necessary.

Now, I have spoke with my col. and atleast 5 out of the 7 captians we have at this agency and expressed my desire to attend the academy. I was thanked for my interest and told it could possibly be 2 to 3 years before sent to the academy. This being because of seniority of other people awaiting to go before me.

Should i risk the chance of applying as an officer to the local police dept. , which sends recruits to the acedemy much more frequently, or should I just continue my postion here and wait my turn, so to speak?

Im "itching" for the opportunity to become an officer and would just like a few opinions.

If any more details are needed feel free to ask.
    P.S. All benefits and pay are very similiar.

2-3 years? I don't have that kind of patience. Personally, I would be looking elsewhere and applying often. Loyalty to a particular agency is way overrated. Your supervisors will understand.

Comment

Go where the jobs are..2 to 3 years could turn into 5. Before you know it you get comfortable and are stuck behind the desk for the rest of you career. Again, budgets change..always take the bird in hand.
      "In valor there is hope"

Comment

+1...look out for yourself first and get your foot in the door as a LEO where ever you can. Once your sworn and get a few years under your belt you can lateral if you desire.

Comment

What risk is involved in applying to other departments?

If law enforcement is what you want to do, then by all means seek out opportunities that are out there. I know of several folks who stayed at a job that they were less than passionate about while “waiting it out” only to find themselves several years into a position that they were “stuck in”.

Do what’s best for you.
          Originally posted by SSD
          It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
          Originally posted by Iowa #1603
          And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Apply elsewhere and get your peace officer status!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5969 users online. 308 members and 5661 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X