Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Agent Blog

Hey folks,

I am a special agent who has worked for three federal agencies. I saw a ton of misinformation and disparate sources of information online. I started this website in an attempt to guide new or potential applicants through the process and provide some solid advice. Check it out, I had to put it in the weird format due to site restrictions:

www (dot) specialagent (dot) blog (dot) com

alot of good stuff on that site, thanks bro. Also if u want to update your "future agencies hiring" column, IRS CI is supposely opening up an announcement sometime this month.

Comment

You put together a nice website, but I have one comment. The most competitive applicants are not those with a degree and law enforcement experience. The most competitive are those with Vet preference, degree, and LE experience. Those with LE experience and a degree are not competitive at this point for 1811 positions. This is a fact.
      "In valor there is hope"

Comment

Originally posted by borninblue View Post
        You put together a nice website, but I have one comment. The most competitive applicants are not those with a degree and law enforcement experience. The most competitive are those with Vet preference, degree, and LE experience. Those with LE experience and a degree are not competitive at this point for 1811 positions. This is a fact.
        Very true unless applying to Postal Inspector, FBI, USSS, and other excepted service application process. Besides that non-vets will have a hard time applying to any agency utilizing category ranking system to hire new applicants.

Comment

Good stuff bro.. I will spread the word of your site..

Comment

Originally posted by Roninjin View Post
            alot of good stuff on that site, thanks bro. Also if u want to update your "future agencies hiring" column, IRS CI is supposely opening up an announcement sometime this month.
            Thanks for the info Roninjin! I will update ASAP! I really want to capture this kind of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by borninblue View Post
              Thanks for the comments. I actually wrote "The most competitive candidates are those with competitive degrees AND relevant work experience." That is why I listed all those critical skills and LE experience paragraph has a qualifier (investigative experience). In fact, in today's hiring environment, any applicant with ANY type of computer related degree is moved to the top of the hiring pile.
              Additionally, although the Veteran Preference Points help, our veteran candidates have a ton of training, excellant bearing & demeanor, outstanding civilian work evaluations, deployment experience, interview well, pass the fitness test easily, and have little to no problem with the background investigations. That said, every agency tries to balance their hiring needs with a mix of all critical skills (i.e. lawyers, accountants, computer, language, LE, military, ETC.)

Comment

Just a couple things I noticed glancing over the DSS section:
                1) There isn't a fitness test during the hiring process; and
                2) Our retirement is the Foreign Service Pension Plan, not the traditional FLEO pension.

Comment

Originally posted by 1811orBust View Post
                  Just a couple things I noticed glancing over the DSS section:
                  1) There isn't a fitness test during the hiring process; and
                  2) Our retirement is the Foreign Service Pension Plan, not the traditional FLEO pension.

Good catch and much appreciated! I tried to get special agents from those specific agencies to look over their profiles but it gets difficult to do with every agency. I will update asap!

Comment

You say 1810 on your site but many federal level positions are 1801 not 1810. 1801 SA exist within CBP IA. Uniformed police are generally 0083. Largest OIG is postal, HHS, and SSA. The rest are generally below 260 SAs. Most NRLE are below 150. Posting the size of these agencies in general will given a realistic view if manning requirements.
                    Last edited by OIG1811; 04-06-2013, 07:45 PM.
                    ...and is commended as being worthy of trust and confidence

Comment

Originally posted by OIG1811 View Post
                      You say 1810 on your site but many federal level positions are 1801 not 1810. 1801 SA exist within CBP IA. Uniformed police are generally 0083. Largest OIG is postal, HHS, and SSA. The rest are generally below 260 SAs. Most NRLE are below 150. Posting the size of these agencies in general will given a realistic view if manning requirements.
                      Thanks for the comments folks. This was the first time the site went live and I appreciate all the useful corrections. Hoping folks find the site helpful.

Comment

This is just a minor tweak, but I would suggest explaining more about the currently critical needs languages on the "Hiring Advice" page. A one-sentence explanation that the critical needs languages are constantly changing would be helpful. For example, the FBI used to deem Yiddish a critical needs language, but removed it last year. And a few years back, Hebrew was taken off and Turkish was added, only to have Turkish taken off and Hebrew re-added the next year.

Also, given how many applicants would benefit from studying FLs to increase their chances of getting a job, have you considered adding a language section to the site? I would encourage potential applicants to pick a language that they like (or that is constantly on that list, like Russian, Arabic, Spanish, or Chinese) then to try to master a more obscure CNL. Getting to a 2+ in a less-commonly taught language can take 2-3 years if you don't live in-country/have intensive language courses, and getting from a 2+ to a 3 can take another year or two.

Comment

This is awesome! Thank you!

Comment

Good blog thanks for the heads up.

It seems as very recent college graduate i have almost no chance at getting hired as an 1811. I feel i dont have enough qualifications compared to so many.

I think im going to join the military and get some experience.

Comment

Originally posted by southpaw88 View Post
                              Good blog thanks for the heads up.

It seems as very recent college graduate i have almost no chance at getting hired as an 1811. I feel i dont have enough qualifications compared to so many.

I think im going to join the military and get some experience.
                              Joining the military never hurt anyone. The military has its own LEO & 1811's for example: NCIS, Army CID, and AFOSI (enlisted-route after 3 years service w/ E-5 rank). Also, AF Security Forces and Army Military Police will get you some basic LEO experience. The education benefits and free housing with free meals makes the military and win/win situation. Good Luck!
                              The only easy day was yesterday. - BUDS Instructor

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6231 users online. 274 members and 5957 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X