300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Duty Military Transition Off Active Duty

First and foremost I have read the suggested(required) Sticky notes 1 and 2, prior to submitting this post.

A little bit of background on myself to assist anyone willing to reply to my post/questions. I am currently on active duty in the United States Navy, stationed in the Chicago-land area. I will done with my obligated active duty service to the Navy in October 2014. I currently hold a Bachelor’s Degree in CJ, and will have a current Secret Security Clearance upon completion of my enlistment. I will have completed 7 years and 3 months on active duty upon getting out of the Navy. Lastly, it is my intent to remain in the local area, from the Aurora, IL area up to North Chicago(approx. 50 mile radius from Aurora/Naperville Area).

Questions/line of action for pursuing a Police Officer Career are as follows;

1. Are there any departments that have a hiring/recruiting program in which will give a conditional offer of employment to attend an academy or for hire for the prospective department? *Side note I am aware that most departments give a one time "pass" once you get on the eligibilty list*
    2. Would having a Secret Security Clearance "speed-up" or allow me to skip certain parts of the testing?
    3. Any suggestions as to when, where I should start the tests for the departments I have interest in applying at?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance in this matter.

PO2 Wolf

I would be willing to answer any of your questions through PM.

Also, try the blueline.com. They always post tons of Chicagoland area PD hiring.
    Last edited by Robbcat; 04-03-2013, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PO2Wolf View Post
      First and foremost I have read the suggested(required) Sticky notes 1 and 2, prior to submitting this post.

A little bit of background on myself to assist anyone willing to reply to my post/questions. I am currently on active duty in the United States Navy, stationed in the Chicago-land area. I will done with my obligated active duty service to the Navy in October 2014. I currently hold a Bachelor’s Degree in CJ, and will have a current Secret Security Clearance upon completion of my enlistment. I will have completed 7 years and 3 months on active duty upon getting out of the Navy. Lastly, it is my intent to remain in the local area, from the Aurora, IL area up to North Chicago(approx. 50 mile radius from Aurora/Naperville Area).

Questions/line of action for pursuing a Police Officer Career are as follows;

1. Are there any departments that have a hiring/recruiting program in which will give a conditional offer of employment to attend an academy or for hire for the prospective department? *Side note I am aware that most departments give a one time "pass" once you get on the eligibilty list*
      2. Would having a Secret Security Clearance "speed-up" or allow me to skip certain parts of the testing?
      3. Any suggestions as to when, where I should start the tests for the departments I have interest in applying at?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance in this matter.

PO2 Wolf
      Most is this is generic information but it is a start.

1. Most departments will issue a COE. The conditions are usually successful completion of all hiring steps and graduation from the academy. If you are applying for a job that is looking to hire you before your obligated service is over you will need to address that early. Make sure you have a current DD-214 if you are vying for veterans preference points.

2. Not really. The process for a law enforcement background investigation parallels but is separate from that for a security clearance. Lots of folks have clearances that are otherwise ineligible or unsuitable for LE jobs. Likewise there are cops who for one reason or another can not be adjudicated for certain clearances. Regardless, there are no “skips” in background investigations. However the fact that you have (or should) your SF-85/SF-85, you will be at a distinct advantage when you need to provide dates of employment, references and other information as those forms have this information down already.

3. The WWW is a great tool and one you should use. Find the departments homepage and click employment opportunities. There you will find information on not just vacancies but also their process and related information.
      Originally posted by SSD
      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Sgt Jon pretty much nailed it, reason why I agree 100% is because I have your exact same resume', apart from location and everything that has been stated is pretty much of extreme relevance.

The only advice I can out lay is "KNOW" you want it, not "THINK", start early (meaning a year before you get out), and be extremely patient. As I have found success, meaning by playing my cards right I will be in potential academy status prospectively accruing 2 pay checks during the duration of my terminal leave status....

If you need more information do not hesitate to PM me.
        "The only easy day was yesterday"

Comment

Just a FYI... your DoD clearance has no bearing on any police dept. I had a TS:SCI and it didn't expedite anything. Two different ball games.

I would start applying 6-12 months out from separation. Some dept's won't even consider you until you are within that timeframe as they don't want you to waste their time.

Figure out which depts you want to apply for and aggressively apply. Good luck.

Comment

Wolf you left your rate out. There are federal agencies that specifically look for prior law enforcement, military law enforcement experience. Being retired MA2, I know you have been to sick call on more than one occasion. You can start your VA disability claim 9 months before separation, the comp and pen physical counts towards your separation physical. Take the TAP class, lots of information for transitioning military in that class, veteran benefits, federal employment information, and VA benefit information. One day of TAP is dedicated to having a rep from DAV come and look over your medical record and point out things you can claim for VA disability compensation. Pay close attention to this day. There are 3 categories of Veteran preference, 5 point, 10 point, and 10 point with 30% disability or higher.
            GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Good luck. It took me four years to get hired on a Department after I separated. Patience is key.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8361 users online. 380 members and 7981 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X