Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat trained US infantry marine help!

How everyone doing, I am LCPL Price with 2/6 infantry battalion. I am currently on the military deferment list to join NYPD, I'm just curious with the immense amount of small arms training and endless other combat related training would it be a possibility to get into some sort of SWAT unit / sniper unit? I also have a secret clearance as well . Would I be more qualified for air Marshall's or other federal jobs or will they not look at me unless I do some time as a regular officer and some college. I have deployed to Bahrain and help with anti terrorism missions and training foreign countries marksmanship as well as tactics. And I currently am about to go to Japan to do some jungle warfare training as well as reactionary force regArding Korea. Just curious on what job opportunity with law enforcement best fits my job experience,

Regards ,
    LCPL price

Hey bud, I hate to break it to you, but you're going to have to earn your stripes anywhere you go before you can put in for any special assignments or tactics-related training/units. Some agencies have a exceptions, but moving from one place to another is a constant cycle of having to reprove yourself. It sucks, but it's just the way it is. Your training and experience don't make you special; there are lots of infantry guys out there with AT, DM, MBSS, etc. training. But, your training has given you a degree of experience that can only be a valuable asset to you further down the road. Work on constantly improving yourself, and make yourself as well-rounded as possible. Having a lot of military schools won't necessarily get you any further than someone else, but having the military experience, travel, cross-training, education, etc. will help you to stand out from the crowd. I know (believe me) that's pretty difficult to accomplish in infantry, and especially in the Marines.

If I were you, I'd tap into my TAP while on AD and work towards a bachelor's degree. If you're considering re-upping, consider a lat move into another MOS like Intel. You've already got all the GI Joe kill kill experience out of the way, so why not broaden your skills with a more civilian marketable background? Just some suggestions for you. Good luck to you, and thanks for your continued service.

Comment

Anywhere you start, you'll have to start at the bottom.....meaning if it's with NYPD, it'll be a beat/patrol. If SWAT/ESU is something you're interested in, than you'll need to meet the standards are following their process.

If you want to go with the FAMS, Air Marshal's (one "L") it'll be hard seeing as they aren't hiring right now and probably won;t for a while.

I guess the best answer to your question is, what ever you want to do....apply for it. Just remember this....there's many vets out there with your training maybe more who have done multiple tours, whether it be recon, anti-terrorism, training allied forces what have you. And they will be looking for jobs just like you in the same fields. Through your name in for whatever you want to do and see what happens.

Times are tough now with Fed hiring seeing we're about to get hit pretty hard with budget cuts. NYPD is a good start. Get good at whatever they have you do, make a name for yourself in the precinct, show interest and talk to the right people and go from there.

Good luck.....

Comment

Oh, one more thing, and perhaps most importantly. Don't get out just for the sake of getting out. Please don't do that. I have known too many people that were like "man, f*** this monkey a** s****....I'm getting out!", and most of them never had a plan on what they were going to do when the did actually get out. Start planning early, and apply as much as you can at least 6 months out from your EAS. After all, security clearances can take a pretty long time to clear.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJaytheGrunt View Post
          How everyone doing, I am LCPL Price with 2/6 infantry battalion. I am currently on the military deferment list to join NYPD, I'm just curious with the immense amount of small arms training and endless other combat related training would it be a possibility to get into some sort of SWAT unit / sniper unit? I also have a secret clearance as well . Would I be more qualified for air Marshall's or other federal jobs or will they not look at me unless I do some time as a regular officer and some college. I have deployed to Bahrain and help with anti terrorism missions and training foreign countries marksmanship as well as tactics. And I currently am about to go to Japan to do some jungle warfare training as well as reactionary force regArding Korea. Just curious on what job opportunity with law enforcement best fits my job experience,

Regards ,
          LCPL price

Send me a PM

Comment

Thanks a lot everyone for the useful information, can't wait to dive into this career

Comment

That's a lot of experience for an E3.

Comment

Originally posted by HollywoodJayy View Post
                That's a lot of experience for an E3.
                Might be LCpl, second award....I'm not judging

Comment

Originally posted by BigJaytheGrunt View Post
                  Just curious on what job opportunity with law enforcement best fits my job experience,

Regards ,
                  LCPL price
                  You might not even have any aptitude for police work.

After Desert Storm I was a training officer and I had a young trainee who had got a Bronze Star with Combat "V" there. 300 PFT big jock guy. Could not read or write to save his life. In the field he was mediocre with talking to the public. The worst thing was going to the jail. Inmates would just taunt him or disrespect him verbally. He became a really good firefighter.

Think about it and good luck.

Comment

Education is key. Start working on that degree NOW! It almost doesn't matter what your degree is in just so long as it is from an accredited 4yr institution. You just need to check that box. There are a lot of online programs through legit universities that you could get started on while you are abroad. I have done the UDP to OKI, Korea, Forest Light...You will have enough down time to work on this. Internet connectivity will be your only problem.

And in the end if you don't get picked up for a LE job right away at least your degree will help you get a better paying job while you’re waiting for hiring to pick up

Comment

I am already accepted in the military deferment program, and I am an infantryman, it takes a lot to pickup e4 the cutting score is outrageous a majority of marines with salt on their shoulder from combat deployments are lcpls.

Comment

yeah, promotions came a lot easier 10yrs ago. Nothing wrong with a terminal lance especially if you have no desire to re-enlist. Just make sure you get the RE-1a on your DD-214 just in case

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5597 users online. 291 members and 5306 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X