300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is there only GS12 or above positions being advertised

I have been reviewing usajobs for about a year now. And there has only been 6 times when a decent federal LE job was posted. I qualify for GS 11 or lower positions and have graduated from a FLETC CITP equivalent course. My course was the Land Mangement Police Course. I have over 6 years of federal LE experience and have a Master's Degree. I'm getting very frustrated that I can't get hired for a decent federal LE job. My current Air Force Police Officer job will be furloughed or completly enliminated in the coming months. I had a hard time getting this current job or any of the better jobs all because I'm not a veteran. Can anyone tell me why there is not more GS 11 or lower positions being posted.

The economy sucks and like you said veterans are everywhere with the wars dieing down. Many are just a qualified. You will nevertheless see a fair amount of GS 9-10 jobs each year. Entry level announcements GS 5-9 come around maybe once every one/two years for major agencies. The FBI has one every 6 months. That is the basic scheme of things. It's not ideal in your situation but if your in a pinch and want to keep the federal law enforcement retirement clock going, BOP appears to be always hiring and they hire quick if they want you. 1811 positions can take years to process.

In the past two years I have seen (based on memory) mass hiring announcements for entry level 1811s for the following: ATF, FBI, DEA, ICE, USSS, Interior -land management investigators?, Indian Affairs, and the IRS. (Many of these guys are still processing and waiting to be hired).

Aside from that, there are periodic 1811 jobs posted (from a variety of agencies) with 1 to a few positions open at the 9-10 level every few months. I'm assuming these are internal announcements, poaching of unhappy 1811s from other agencies, or they already have a candidates in mind.

I hope this helps and good luck to you.
    Last edited by semper03; 03-13-2013, 12:56 PM.

Comment

I dont know where you're looking but there appears to be a bunch of jobs in the 0083 series that are not GS-12.
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by k9james View Post
        . I qualify for GS 11 or lower positions and have graduated from a FLETC CITP equivalent course. My course was the Land Mangement Police Course.
        CITP & LMPT are not equivalent courses. LMPT has more training than CITP, but it is missing a few surveillance and case work classes that would get you the CITP certification. FLETC does that so now if any LMPT grads want to take an 1811 slot, they must go back through CITP. Complete waste of money and time, but FLETC runs on enrollment. When you have the only ball in town you can play whatever game you want.

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
          I dont know where you're looking but there appears to be a bunch of jobs in the 0083 series that are not GS-12.
          I think he's talking about 1811 gigs. You are on point with the 0083 positions, they are all over the places and pop up all the time (consistent). They are mostly military and VA police jobs through. I predominately see them at the lower end GS 5-7 also.

Note that the 0083s require tailored resumes to the announcements. There are some posts on that on the forum somewhere that explains this (search 0083 resume or KSA). I never got refereed to the hiring authority for any 0083s (applied to 4 or 5) but processed with the FBI, ICE, ATF, Marshals, and others no problem with my resume.
          Last edited by semper03; 03-13-2013, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Something I noticed as well. I can apply for GS-11 and GS-12 positions, but I almost never am deemed qualified. Still I refuse to give up. Making matters even worse is the current budget situation in federal agencies. It is very unlikely that there will ever be a mass hiring like in the past, but that's fine as long as there is at least some opportunity.
            Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

Thanks for replies. On my LMPT course, We actually did the same surveillance and case work classes that you where mentioning. It was just like the citp version. The citp students did a fake money laundering case and we did a fake marijuana grow. I only bring up this training to make myself a more marketable candidate. If i can convince an agency that they can save money with me bypassing the basic citp and just go to an agency add on that could help me out.

Comment

Thanks for replies. On my LMPT course, We actually did the same surveillance and case work classes that you where mentioning. It was just like the citp version. The citp students did a fake money laundering case and we did a fake marijuana grow. I only bring up this training to make myself a more marketable candidate. If i can convince an agency that they can save money with me bypassing the basic citp and just go to an agency add on that could help me out.
                I completed LMPT, I am familiar with the program. It is not a CITP equivalent course and no agency looks at it the same. DOI has an LMPT to CITP bridge course so an employee of those agencies doesn't have to attend the full CITP,, but no other agency that I know of recognizes that bridge course as even being a CITP equivalent. On a second note, USAJOBS sucks right now.

Comment

That's like saying the BIA or Border Patrol academy is the same as CITP. That question on the job questionnaire is for DEA, USPIS, FBI, etc.. all 1811 positions that have their own academy instead of going to CITP.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
                    Something I noticed as well. I can apply for GS-11 and GS-12 positions, but I almost never am deemed qualified. Still I refuse to give up. Making matters even worse is the current budget situation in federal agencies. It is very unlikely that there will ever be a mass hiring like in the past, but that's fine as long as there is at least some opportunity.
                    Don't feel bad, I make the 12/13 lists and even get a few steps past applying before getting the someone else was selected email...

Comment

Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                      Don't feel bad, I make the 12/13 lists and even get a few steps past applying before getting the someone else was selected email...
                      Its quite depressing, I guess we just missed the bus when it comes to the 1811 hiring. With all of the stuff that has happened recently in the patrol, I want to leave more than ever.
                      Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

Unfortunately, LMPT is not equivalent to CITP. I know firsthand as I am a LMPT grad and I'm here at CITP now. Lots of people want 1811 jobs, so competition is fierce. Also, veterans preference makes it tougher, but not impossible for nonvets. Your education looks good, I would try to improve your LE resume, AF police isn't going to impress many hiring officials. With LMPT under your belt, you should be looking at land management agencies for a uniformed position, get a few more years experience, and you'll be very competitive for an 1811. Keep applying.
                        Last edited by Fox402; 03-14-2013, 07:06 PM.

Comment

There are a few 1801 listings that aren't GS-12 either. A while back there were 1811 posts for GS-9 and higher not quite GS-12.
                          GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

I have been reviewing usajobs for about a year now. And there has only been 6 times when a decent federal LE job was posted. I qualify for GS 11 or lower positions and have graduated from a FLETC CITP equivalent course. My course was the Land Mangement Police Course. I have over 6 years of federal LE experience and have a Master's Degree. I'm getting very frustrated that I can't get hired for a decent federal LE job. My current Air Force Police Officer job will be furloughed or completly enliminated in the coming months. I had a hard time getting this current job or any of the better jobs all because I'm not a veteran. Can anyone tell me why there is not more GS 11 or lower positions being posted.
                            Are you currently a GS-11? Land Management is not equivalent to CITP as others have stated. Almost every basic course through FLETC give a student some type of surveillence training.

I would either just apply to other 0083 jobs or look at civilians agencies, which would start you over, however if all you have been is a 0083 that doesn't leave you with too many options, unles BIA or those that accept Land Management are hiring. Good luck
                            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Most FLETC courses are made up "canned" FLETC modules that can be interchanged from course to course; in three different basic courses, I've had the same interviewing training.

That said, whether any course is the "equivalent" to CITP is a moot argument because most agencies will probably not allow substitution of anything for CITP for liability reasons, alone. Not from what I've seen, anyway.

As to why most announcements are for GS-12 and above, I think the explanation is fairly simple. Agencies don't have the money for new hires and the only jobs they're filling are due to attrition - i.e. back-filling for senior agents who retire or move on. And in many cases, you won't be back-filling a solo-agent duty station with an inexperienced agent, hence the higher GS-grades.
                              "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5761 users online. 299 members and 5462 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X