300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are my chances?

I apologize up-front as I understand this question has been posted before. However, my circumstances are somewhat unique. Based on the following, what are my chances of being hired?

The good: I have a Master's Degree, hold an active Top Secret clearance, and served 6 years as a military officer with an honorable discharge.

The bad: I have a misdemeanor petty theft arrest on my juvenile record from 15 years ago and five traffic citations (one a non-moving violation), the latest of which was cited in 2004.

I'm 30 years old looking to get hired in the Bay Area, CA.

Originally posted by LL View Post
    I apologize up-front as I understand this question has been posted before. However, my circumstances are somewhat unique. Based on the following, what are my chances of being hired?

The good: I have a Master's Degree, hold an active Top Secret clearance, and served 6 years as a military officer with an honorable discharge.

The bad: I have a misdemeanor petty theft arrest on my juvenile record from 15 years ago and five traffic citations (one a non-moving violation), the latest of which was cited in 2004.

How is your “situation” even remotely unique?

A few things to note: A masters degree may help in some circles but law enforcement is an entry level job for the most part. Holding any manner of clearance while it shows you are for the most part a decent person who can be trusted with classified information does not mean you are suitable for law enforcement. While your service is appreciated, the market is literally flooded with veterans.

The juvenile record should not be that huge of a hurdle nor should the seemingly minor traffic history.
    That said, there is way more to your chances of success in the process than what we have covered thus far. Take some time to cull through the forums with “you” specific issues in mind. Use the search function and read.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I hate to burst your bubble, but none of that counts too much.

This is not like getting a job at a private business, where you go in, wear a spiffy suit, spend a half hour blowing smoke up their a** and get the job if they like you.

Instead, if you meet the minimum qualifications for admission to the testing process, you will take a written exam that measures your ability to perform the the duties of the job you are seeking. The more correct answers you give to those test questions, the higher your score. If you score high enough, you will move on to the oral.

In California, the oral will score you on:

Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.

Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.

Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.

Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.

Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.

‘Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.

Your written and oral scores will be combined and you will be placed on an eligible list based on the order of your score. Applicants are hired from the eligible list in the order of their score (highest first, next highest second, etc.) Your military service may entitle you to Veteran’s Credit, which will add a few points to your final score, but beyond that, getting hired will depend on your demonstrated ability to do the job as measured through the testing process.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I appreciate your insights. I was concerned my juvenile record would preclude me from entrance. I had read misdemeanors of "moral turpitude" were a disqualifier.

Thanks again.

Comment

start testing, you will find out soon enough, rarely do people get hired in the first few tests so get out there and start trying. Most people have dumb things in their past and like you said, if you feel you bring a unique set of circumstances and experiences than it will be up to you as to how you present these circumstances and experiences in a positive light, always show you have turned a negative into a positive, that is all you can do when you are competing against folks that don't have juvenile records or 5 traffic citations.
          CBPO
          Geo - West Coast
          Exam - 10/12/11 San Diego
          NOR - 4/2/12
          TSL - 6/12/12
          PFT1 - green
          BI -
          Quals -
          VBT/SI - green
          Drug Screen - green

Comment

Just for curiosity's sake, how did you get a TS clearance with an arrest record, even as a juvenile? I remember that even having things such as some traffic violations could prevent a TS from being issued. Maybe they changed the SF-86 stuff recently, I dunno?

Anyways, just be truthful and you should have no problems in backgrounds. The TS clearance doesn't mean diddly out here, unless you are going to work for an agency/company that requires one, which your local, county, or state agencies do not.

Like it was said before, at least you will get 5 additional points for veteran's preference, 10 points if you have a service-connected disability and are rated at 10% or more. Be advised, NOT ALL agencies have the vets preference.

As long as you show a solid work history, solid references, and can demonstrate that you are a person that can work well with others, use discretion, and aren't a wannabe who just wants the badge for authority/power over others, you should do fine. Good luck from a fellow vet, the Bay Area is one of the most competitive areas for law enforcement in the country, and for good reason. All of this comes from personal experience, so YMMV.

Comment

I appreciate your insights. I was concerned my juvenile record would preclude me from entrance. I had read misdemeanors of "moral turpitude" were a disqualifier.

Thanks again.
              You may want to either read the deinition or what "moral turpitude" means or explain more about your arrest. Your arrest does not even fall under the meaning of moral turpitude, unless you are leaving things out?

And if you are out, are you working for the govt to keep your TS active?
              "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Thanks again.
                If that was the case there would be significantly less police officers around.

Comment

You are fine. Education and Military experience will ensure that you meet the minimum requirements, and will most likely get you to the interview process. Then it is up to you.

During the BI, all you will have to do is be honest about your bad decision 15 years ago. Some agencies may frown on it, but others may look at the past 15 years, and realize that you are a different person now than you were as an adolescent.

Honestly, I would not worry about it.

-FH

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9236 users online. 430 members and 8806 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X