300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of State Employment?

Hey everyone, I just started Field Training with my sponsored department in the state of NY which will soon be complete. My graduation date for the academy is not until around May.

My question is... I'm pondering the idea of moving out of state, with the intent to move south but staying on the east coast. My NY certification will not be in by the time of my graduation. If I'm applying out of state, what is the process with being hired? Do I need to wait for my certification? If I completed the basic Academy in NY will I have to undergo another academy? I won't have any on the job experience (Other than FT) unless my department picks me up part time in the mean time..

Thanks for any advice..

Just out of curiosity why leave New York state after putting yourself through the academy and getting sponsored by a police department in New york that is EXTREMELY difficult. I believe you need to wait for your certification before you can apply to any southern departments.

Comment

I would quit now and give your slot to someone else? Seriously though, if you are pondering the idea of leaving, you would be leaving with no experience and most likely every agency you will encounter will have you go through their academy as a new recruit, being that you have no Experience.
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishman585 View Post
        Just out of curiosity why leave New York state after putting yourself through the academy and getting sponsored by a police department in New york that is EXTREMELY difficult. I believe you need to wait for your certification before you can apply to any southern departments.
        Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
        I would quit now and give your slot to someone else? Seriously though, if you are pondering the idea of leaving, you would be leaving with no experience and most likely every agency you will encounter will have you go through their academy as a new recruit, being that you have no Experience.
        My sponsoring department has no openings. I would be just waiting for a part time position to open up with zero guarantee. Jobs towards my way are becoming extremely difficult to come by.

Comment

Originally posted by k2rsx View Post
          My sponsoring department has no openings. I would be just waiting for a part time position to open up with zero guarantee. Jobs towards my way are becoming extremely difficult to come by.
          Why put one through an academy then?

Anyway, as I stated before, just branch out if you don't plan on staying. Somone else may want to stay in your area.
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

What part of New York are you in??????

Comment

Why would a department sponsor you if they have no openings? Not even a part-time opening? When a department sponsors you for the academy and to go through Phase 2 (which requires sponsorship), they almost always have a part-time spot available for you. I have never heard of this happening, ever. Why would they even bother sponsoring someone if no positions are available?

Please do tell...what department?

Comment

Im from upstate New York and if a department sponsors you it means that they intend to hire you after they pay for Phase 2 of your training academy, I would like to know which part of New York you are from also.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8714 users online. 408 members and 8306 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                X