300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on which route to go forward with, please come in. Corr or leo

After waiting several months to get a call back and one never happening i decided to look for other alternatives and get moving.

I had applied at 3 local agencies, two sheriffs office and a PD department and in one of the applications for the sheriff i applied for deputy trainee or corrections because i would get a ride through the academy.

After no call backs 10 months down the road, i decided to pay my way into the academy and signed up to start for the LEO training in April and then have a better chance of getting hired since i have already completed my Bachelors from a university here in FL.

Low and behold, i get a call as of last week for the sheriffs office i had originally wanted with an interview in the next couple of weeks but for a corrections job, which originally i did not want that but i knew it would be a step in and now having gathered the money to actually go into LEO academy iam now in a bit of a decision that i would need to make by the end of the week.

Question follows: should i keep going with my plan of attending LEO academy with my funds or do i take that chance and go to the interview for the corrections job and if i do get it later on make the transition into LEO.
    And if so how long would the process be in order to do the cross over.

I have searched but i cant seem to locate the question in this manner or answers, hopefully someone can chime in and brighten this.

Why do you need to make a decision this week? Can't you get a refund if you drop out of the academy before it starts?

No one can tell you how long a transition process will take; it might take a year, it might take seven years, it may never happen.

Comment

In my opinion, go with the academy. Once you start working full-time it will be hard to do, and with the way budgets are departments do not want to pay for the academy when they don't have to. At least that is the way it is here in Ohio. You can always come back and look for a corrections job after the academy. You will even be more marketable after the academy. Either way there is a risk involved, but if your ultimate goal is to become a police officer go with the academy first.
      "In valor there is hope"

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
        Why do you need to make a decision this week? Can't you get a refund if you drop out of the academy before it starts?

No one can tell you how long a transition process will take; it might take a year, it might take seven years, it may never happen.
        i need a quick decision because the interview is next week, and academy in april. i need to decide to go or not to go to it.

another reason why it is a difficult choice is because i have 5 moving violations in a lifetime history, makes it more difficult for me to get hired, the last 2 were pretty bad one being a reckless driving 7yrs ago, but no citations in the last 3-4 years

-the detective told me they are also hiring about 20 positions for LEO to start an academy in june and they wont be calling until late april and by that time i would be in the academy and would have paid for it so its a hard choice and its basically rolling the dice because i might not be selected for it
        Last edited by YaNpER; 02-13-2013, 09:33 PM.

Comment

I still fail to see why you can't go to the interview and still be scheduled for the academy. You seem to be creating an artificial barrier for yourself.

Comment

i can physically do that of course i can, but what would be the point if i was leaning one way more than the other or are you saying it in the context of just going to see what to expect?

Comment

Question follows: should i keep going with my plan of attending LEO academy with my funds or do i take that chance and go to the interview for the corrections job and if i do get it later on make the transition into LEO.
              And if so how long would the process be in order to do the cross over.
              I'm not seeing why an interview would prevent you from attending the academy.

Just because you interview doesn't mean you get the job, and if you do get the job just quit the academy.

As for the corrections vs patrol thing, it depends on how that department works.

Here in Colorado there are sheriff departments with dual-track careers. You can spend your entire career in detentions and never switch to patrol, and they hire directly to patrol with little or no time spent in detentions... and you can be a detentions deputy without any academy. Some never attend.

Others "promote" to patrol from detentions. It can take years, or never happen.

However, your BEST bet is to go to your interview. Attend your academy. IF you get the call, just drop out of the academy you paid for and go with the detentions job. You'll make back the money you lost in a year or two and be better off... it sounds like they would put you thru the academy anyway if hired so you really haven't lost anything if you were going to pay for the academy yourself anyway... and if you don't get the call you won't have wasted months sitting around hoping.

i can physically do that of course i can, but what would be the point if i was leaning one way more than the other
              ...because there's no way to know what's going to happen?

IF there's no academy with the detentions deputy job, wait until you've been offered it before deciding what to do. You're stewing about whether to take the job or not when you haven't even been offered it yet. Assume you're NOT going to get it and drive on from there. If you do it's a happy surprise.
              Last edited by tanksoldier; 02-14-2013, 08:34 AM.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.
                Maybe I need to clarify a few details

The interviewing agency does put me through their academy in corrections if hired, yes that would save me a good chunk of change but I would need go work in the big house for a bit before I could do a cross over into patrol, sonce I was already signed in for academy for patrol to start in april I needed to know wether or not to attend the interview because if I did decide to go forward with my own sponsorship and then having to deny the correctioms job if offered would hurt my chances with that agency.
                Sorry if there are misspellings iam at work on the phone

Comment

You don't seem to be listening to the other posters on here.

An INTERVIEW is NOT a job offer. In fact it isn't even close to a job offer.

Let's look at this from your perspective

1. You decide to not go to the academy so that you can go to the interview. Well guess what, the agency decides not to hire you, and now you have neither a job, nor the academy to fall back on.

2. You decide to go to the academy and not the interview. Maybe you fail the academics at the academy and now you will have to wait until the next time that agency is accepting applications before you can apply again too.

3. You decide to go to the academy AND the interview (the only logical choice). At this point your odds of success are the greatest. Keep in mind, it could be 4-6 months after the interview before an agency hires you. So if you are successful and the agency hires you, you may already be done with the academy by then. If the interview is unsuccessful and they do not hire you (probably due to your driving record) you will still have completed the academy. If you fail the academy, but pass the interview and are hired by the agency, you will still have a job in LE.
                  Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

And that makes sense, I will go forward with the interview and see how it goes and what to expect. I just didn't want an interview to deter me from future processes with that department

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4693 users online. 212 members and 4481 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X