300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career Change?

Hi, I'm currently in my 10th year of teaching and am becoming more disappointed with the direction of public education and the teaching profession in general. I joined a large city's reserve program about a year ago and have been contemplating a career change into law enforcement. The problem is that I am at a place in my career where I am making pretty good money (higher than any Minnesota PD starting pay that I've seen recently), I am unable to relocate, and I am approaching my mid-30s.

Is it worth giving up tenure, summers off, holidays, regular shift, etc?
    What are the chances of getting hired?
    How quickly could I move up the pay-scale?
    Will my marriage survive this crazy idea?

Any advice or insight would be great.

haha I don't think anyone here (I'm assuming) knows enough about your marriage to say how it would be affected by a career change .

Make a pros/cons list. Research the pay progression for the Minnesota PD. Look at other agencies and pay progression. If you can make the money to sustain yourself go for it!

Happiness should trump money. You can't take it all with you. What you can do is loathe your job every single day until then.

Comment

Originally posted by 651guy View Post
      Hi, I'm currently in my 10th year of teaching and am becoming more disappointed with the direction of public education and the teaching profession in general. I joined a large city's reserve program about a year ago and have been contemplating a career change into law enforcement. The problem is that I am at a place in my career where I am making pretty good money (higher than any Minnesota PD starting pay that I've seen recently), I am unable to relocate, and I am approaching my mid-30s.

Is it worth giving up tenure, summers off, holidays, regular shift, etc?
      What are the chances of getting hired?
      How quickly could I move up the pay-scale?
      Will my marriage survive this crazy idea?

Any advice or insight would be great.
      You are not alone in the endless quest for job satisfaction and a new direction in life.
      As for your questions, sorry to say but most answers here would be purely notional at best.

You need to ask yourself those questions (worth it and marriage) and then engage with officers from the departments you are eyeing to get answers to the hiring potential, upward mobility and the like.
      Originally posted by SSD
      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Take some time to research the pay and benefits at the agency you are interested in. It may be more than you think. Her is how it usually works in California:

Most agencies have five pay steps. You start out at step 1 and progress through each step in six or 12 month increments, depending on the agency and labor contract. Pay steps are usually 5% apart, So, at the end of four years (or two years) you are making 25% more than when you started. On top of that, there are periodic cost of living increases.

Next, most agencies offer educational incentives. It is usually 2.5% for an AA and 5% for a BA. If you are a teacher I assume you have a BA.

Most agencies offer additional pay for POST certificates – 5% for an Intermediate and 5% for an advanced. Those are earned by years on the job and education. You already have the education, it’s just a matter of putting in the years.

Many agencies offer additional pay for night differential, speaking a second language, etc.

The money is there, you just have to know where to look.

Summers are overrated. I loved taking my vacations in September and October. No crowds, no traffic.

I don’t know how they do shifts back there. Out here we bid for them by seniority. As first it’s a little rough, but after you have been on for a couple of years you can usually get the shift you want and settle in. I preferred swing shift with Mondays and Tuesdays off for most of my career. That gave me the most active shift along with days off that allowed me to get my personal business done without having to stand in line or fight crowds. If I needed a weekend off for an important family matter I would use vacation or CTO (overtime) hours.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Stay where your at these days trying to find jobs that pay decent money is hard enough. With all that free time you have off, I wouldn't do it . If I did I would try and find a part time LE job in a small department that may allow you to work seasonal or fill in. At least part timers get paid. Just my 2 cents. Good luck
          My life is in GOD’s hands, and he hasn’t finished with me yet.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6094 users online. 331 members and 5763 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X