300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JI603 View Post
    I would do law school, only if it were at zero cost to me. Not worth taking out loans with no guarantee of employment on the back side.

Being a local cop will not help you particularly in the fed leo hiring arena. That is filled with 5 and 10 point vets now. You will need a special skill and an agency that emphasizes those qualities in their hiring to make it out of the general pool. Think JD, MPA, critical language, etc. The FBI's phase 1/2 testing is one that comes to mind.

I would shoot for one of your bigger CA agencies. The work is fun- and if you do get in, you'll work with a number of feds and wonder what the fuss is about. Not many are comfortable with the street-level side of being a cop. Plus the bennies are likely better at the state level- unless you happen to work in the midwest or deep south. They pay cops terribly.

I guess it's what you are looking for. The military would give you a leg up, but I don't blame you for not being particularly interested. I went in 20 years ago, got out after OIF1, and have been in local LE since.

I'd jump at a JD on the department's dime, but only as a feather in my cap- it's not something I would like to do professionally.

You can get in as a local cop, but you'll likely need to be a detective or be on a TFO first, and that could take a number of years. Plus, you'll also need a masters degree to go along with that since so many local cops and vets are applying to fed leo positions who get their masters in CJ they get at night or online in no time. Having a specialty or masters degree or both cuts your competition down by like 1/2 or 2/3.

BTW, even if you need a JD, you'll still need about 2 more years of work experience on top of that because a JD/LLM only shaves 1 year off of the 3 year work experience requirement in many agencies.

Comment

I didn't read what everyone else said but I will just add this; I was planning on attending law school as well until an FBI Agent advised me not to do it. In short, I was told that if I really want to be an Agent here is a list of computer certifications, get them.

The moral of the story is this: consider what the agency you want to work for wants/values. Call a recruiter and ask them.

Comment

Originally posted by semper03 View Post
        I didn't read what everyone else said but I will just add this; I was planning on attending law school as well until an FBI Agent advised me not to do it. In short, I was told that if I really want to be an Agent here is a list of computer certifications, get them.

The moral of the story is this: consider what the agency you want to work for wants/values. Call a recruiter and ask them.
        What certifications did he tell you by chance? CISSP?

Comment

It's a large list ranging from basic IT stuff like A+ to security, ethical hacker, and computer forensics certifications. Keep in mind this is one agencies priorities.

Also keep in mind that veterans go to the front of the line and probably will do so for the next 5-10 years in federal employment. I'm getting TO's over way more qualified individuals who have a significant amount of law enforcement experience. If federal is the way you want to do, military service might be a good idea.
          Last edited by semper03; 02-17-2013, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by semper03 View Post
            It's a large list ranging from basic IT stuff like A+ to security, ethical hacker, and computer forensics certifications. Keep in mind this is one agencies priorities.
            I find it interesting he said certs. I'd figure they would want primarily BAs/MAs in IT stuff.

Also keep in mind that veterans go to the front of the line and probably will do so for the next 5-10 years in federal employment. I'm getting TO's over way more qualified individuals who have a significant amount of law enforcement experience. If federal is the way you want to do, military service might be a good idea.
            I'd agree for all cases excepting the FBI and other excepted service 1811 jobs, especially the FBI though. They are probably the least "para military" of all the agencies and prefer people with those certain skillsets they advertise.

That being said, don't go into the military just for the vet preference because you will be miserable for the next 4-6 years, if you even get the preference at that. Also, all military jobs aren't the same when it comes to what 1811s like. They want primarily military police and intelligence, and with intelligence, you maybe along side the grunts/special forces. If you are not in one of those jobs, you are going to need to fill in the gaps with some other skillset to compliment your military service.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9097 users online. 413 members and 8684 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X