Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JOB SEARCH For VET Fresh Out of Service...Finish School but need a direction, 2013?!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JOB SEARCH For VET Fresh Out of Service...Finish School but need a direction, 2013?!

Hello Everyone, Veteran Recently Honorably Discharged curious about FED jobs or any routes I should take to get hired....I search USAJobs daily....just need a mentor or someone in the field to steer me in a right direction, getting the itch like I made the wrong choice leaving the service.....Thanks!

Respectfully!

Originally posted by XNavyVET27 View Post
    Hello Everyone, Veteran Recently Honorably Discharged curious about FED jobs or any routes I should take to get hired....I search USAJobs daily....just need a mentor or someone in the field to steer me in a right direction, getting the itch like I made the wrong choice leaving the service.....Thanks!

Respectfully!
    Go back to the federal agencies hiring for 2013 thread, I posted some info in there for ya.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

God bless you and your family. I thank you for your service and their sacrifice.
      Enjoy your new career. I hope it will be a turning point in your life. Decide what you want to do then go after it.
      Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Announcement for FBI and Secret Service are coming out in Spring, so keep an eye out for that. Don't be afraid to start a job at a low pay scale or under your expectation. You may be in for a long process so get paid while waiting. Most importantly keep out of trouble.

From one vet to another, thanks for your service

Comment

Xnavyvet, congratulations. What was your rate by the way? I was an SK2 back when they still had SKs Hit me up if you have any questions and I will try help with what I can.

Comment

I hate to be negative Nancy, but unfortunately the "vet card" doesn't really get you any additional pull these days because the majority of applicants are also vets. You have to find a way that your MOS specifically relates to law enforcement to shine ahead.

Comment

LS same as you but no longer SK! How long you been out? I am just trying to stay positive in this hectic market

Comment

I got out in 07, before the economy crashed. What kind of jobs are you looking for? Stay in touch with your navy people, cause they might be helpful in finding those jobs on base.

Comment

First and foremost thank you for your service. If you have completed school use your benefits to get a Masters while you're waiting. Also reach out to your local VA office and members of American Legion or VFW. I have met many well connected folks through that alone. It's always good to network and stay in touch with unit members and CO's. They are usually somewhat connected as well with their former leaders separating and going to the civilian sector. Intel agencies are also hiring vets for protective services if you don't mind the travel and are not hung up on being a LEO. Could also look into local agencies to get some experience. Just my $.02. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Good luck in your search!

As has been mentioned be prepared for a very long ride. Find a job in the meantime and keep building your resume. If you dont have a degree start on one now. If you have a B.S. start on a Masters (if you can). Also check out federalsoup. You will find a lot of vet preference hate there, but most of the advice (other than the BS about vet preference) is solid.

Comment

Originally posted by XNavyVET27 View Post

Respectfully!
                      Hello XNavyVET27,

Try to look at larger agencies and don't be too selective. I suggest agencies like the Bureau of Prisons, Border Patrol, and federal occupations with the 083 series. I also wouldn’t get too hung up on your MOS title in the Military, unless you were an MP. Just remember that being a Vet will help only if you know how to articulate your supervisory roles.

I highly suggest you learn how to build a government style resume utilizing your own style and template. If you find yourself stuck, go to a professional who can show you how to do it. You might be surprised at what your military experience brings to the table, even if you’re not a former MP.

I learned quickly that in order for you to get a job with the feds, you must learn how to hustle.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to send me a PM.

Thank you for your service.

Good luck!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5516 users online. 278 members and 5238 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X