Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parkies are hiring detention officers...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parkies are hiring detention officers...

...more or less:

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/336273400

The agency expects to fill many vacancies through this announcement. Some will be selected to perform duties predominantly in the Yosemite Holding Facility while others will be selected to work throughout other districts such as the Valley, Mather or Wawona Districts. You will be able to identify where you are available to work.

Huh. Relatively low pay AND relatively few sunsets.

I guess wherever you can get your foot in the "full time - permanent" door, especially these days.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Completely normal. No issues with pay as it is a full performance 9. Very typical that an all sources job would be at the 5/7 range, which gives seasonals a chance to compete. The jail is a great place to start at Yosemite. You are plenty busy and get the opportunity to patrol with the regular staff, plus the benefit of constant training, EMS, SAR, ect. A great place to get your first permanent job. Many supervisors, chiefs, and superintendents out there who started in the valley jail.

Downsides are 24 hour coverage and having to be indoors. However, you'd be surprised how many sunsets and normal ranger stuff you get to do as a Yosemite jailor. Plus, you live in Yosemite! Like most of the NPS jobs, it's a lifestyle and not for everyone. But, as far as permanent ranger jobs that everyone can apply for, this is right up at the top.

Comment

I can imagine it's a good start. I just can't see many people who go thru all the hoops it takes to be a Parkie (training course that isn't applicable anywhere else, etc) and wanting to work out in nature being too happy about being in a jail.

To be honest, I've spent a LOT of time in Yosemite and I never even knew there was a jail there.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

The only people that can apply for this job are those who have already attended a NPS seasonal academy.

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
          I can imagine it's a good start. I just can't see many people who go thru all the hoops it takes to be a Parkie (training course that isn't applicable anywhere else, etc) and wanting to work out in nature being too happy about being in a jail.
          I disagree. Probably more people would rather work the Yosemite jail then start off by guarding the Liberty Bell in Philly or the Arch in St Louis, which are two of the most common starting areas.

Comment

I applied, I have LMPT and am an EMT but work for another DOI bureau so we'll see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
              I disagree. Probably more people would rather work the Yosemite jail then start off by guarding the Liberty Bell in Philly or the Arch in St Louis, which are two of the most common starting areas.
              All the seasonals are on patrol at Indie. I work with them daily. Contractors do all the security posts.
              I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9947 users online. 475 members and 9472 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X