300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will chime in on this rolling thread-

Beyond making the mark when competing against other folks without a DUI, you have to content with the suitability for a security clearance that comes with virtually every 1811 job. Alcohol involvement is a major factor when a person is adjudicated for access. This is not to say you can’t get cleared or that you would loose your access if you got a DUI, but it is something to take into serious consideration given everything.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Unless you know someone no agency will hire you with a DUI. That includes both local and fed. My cousin has a DUI and was barely able to get on with a local department with his dad being retired from there and still knowing the important people there. If it wasn't for his dad he would have never got hired. Many agencies, both local and fed, have rule stating that someone with a DUI cant drive their vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by jboro View Post
        Unless you know someone no agency will hire you with a DUI. That includes both local and fed. My cousin has a DUI and was barely able to get on with a local department with his dad being retired from there and still knowing the important people there. If it wasn't for his dad he would have never got hired. Many agencies, both local and fed, have rule stating that someone with a DUI cant drive their vehicles.
        That is completely false. I have worked at the local, state and now at the federal level and have seen new hires come in many times with DUI's in there past. I am not even talking about distant past, I am talking about within the last 3-5 years. Tell me how a DUI prevents your from driving a vehicle? Of course if you have lost a license, then that is a different story!
        Last edited by jeff_west; 05-14-2013, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
          I will chime in on this rolling thread-

Beyond making the mark when competing against other folks without a DUI, you have to content with the suitability for a security clearance that comes with virtually every 1811 job. Alcohol involvement is a major factor when a person is adjudicated for access. This is not to say you can’t get cleared or that you would loose your access if you got a DUI, but it is something to take into serious consideration given everything.
          Sgt jon,

Meaning no disrespect here but it seems we are both feds and once in my day I helped to adjudicate backgrounds. Why would a DUI prevent or cause someone to lose a clearance? I work alongside people who have got them and kept there clearance like nothing happen. Back in the day when I helped to adjudicate backgrounds, we would look at a pattern of activity, alcohol dependence or even being deemed alcohol dependent by an licensed counselor, etc. I have never seen a onetime lapse in judgment cause someone to lose or not get a clearance. A lot of factors mitigate the circumstance of a single DUI. I personally see many other things that actually create questionable ability to secure sensitive information or to be susceptible to blackmail.

Comment

No matter how annoyed and how many times you post. Your not going to be a federal agent anymore. You made a stupid decision on a whim and frankly, I don't want to work with someone who makes stupid decisions.

Comment

Where I am from most counties and cities have local ordinances thats state if you work for that city or county and have a DUI you can not drive a vehicle owned by that county or city you work for. Every department I have applied for has listed a DUI as a disqualification. Some allow it if was over 5-7 years when it occurred, but that is the best I have seen. Unless a course you know the right people.

Comment

Not sure if OP is still around, but here's my take having recently successfully navigated trough the hiring process.

It's unlikely that you'll ever be hired by a FLE agency. At my first informational session with one agency, we were actually told, "You get a DUI, and you're done."

One important thing is that your DUI was during your USSS internship, which meant that you already knew that you wanted to be a FLEO. It's not like you smoked weed regularly your first two years of college, wizened up when you realized that you wanted to do something more and left that life behind you. You already knew you wanted to be a FLEO and got a DUI anyway, so it's that much harder to explain. Hiring officers aren't likely to forgive the fact that you already wasted the USSS's time and money by washing out. Why take a second chance on a risky applicant when they have so many perfect candidates in this hiring environment?

Also, did your internship require security clearance? Was it revoked when your internship was terminated? If so, then you're really SOL. The issue is not just the DUI: It's the DUI, the fact that you were terminated from your USSS internship, and likely lost a security clearance in the process. In this hiring climate, I doubt that anyone who checks yes to "Have you ever had a security clearance revoked?" even makes it beyond the computer system's first cull of applicants.

If you're hell-bent on becoming a FLEO, your only option may be to join the military and master a critical needs language that is likely to still be a CNL in the next 5-7 years (like Chinese, Russian, Arabic, or Urdu).

Comment

Piperj3cub,

If you wouldn't mind me asking, what agency made that statement? Because I been apart of 3 different hiring processes before getting my present gig and never have I heard "You get a DUI and you're done!"

Comment

Originally posted by dotcomerresurected View Post
                    Sgt jon,

Meaning no disrespect here but it seems we are both feds and once in my day I helped to adjudicate backgrounds. Why would a DUI prevent or cause someone to lose a clearance? I work alongside people who have got them and kept there clearance like nothing happen. Back in the day when I helped to adjudicate backgrounds, we would look at a pattern of activity, alcohol dependence or even being deemed alcohol dependent by an licensed counselor, etc. I have never seen a onetime lapse in judgment cause someone to lose or not get a clearance. A lot of factors mitigate the circumstance of a single DUI. I personally see many other things that actually create questionable ability to secure sensitive information or to be susceptible to blackmail.
                    None taken and you are correct on the second part as-well.

A single DUI on its own is not in and of itself a trigger to loose or be denied access, but as you know-they take the whole person approach and if coupled with other factors a person could be denied or referred for higher level adjudication; which in some cases can nock a candidate out of the running due to processing timelines and subsequent appeals – if the candidate seeks one.

And for what its worth – the new security reporting requirements include alcohol incidents that trigger mandatory reporting (either self, peer or supervisor) to the cognizant security office. While this applies to current personnel with a clearance, if there are other facts involved this could be an issue for the person concerned and their continued suitability determination.

What you have to take into account is that aside from the one time DUI’s, it is frequently the case where a DUI simply brings to light undiagnosed and frequently long-term or problem instigated alcohol dependence. And as you know, a great many recent cases involving security issues had alcohol abuse in the subjects past; sometime the then current.

I emphasized the salient points for clarity and reiterate that a one time DUI; even better than five years ago will still be a hurdle. A one time DUI for a current Fed can when coupled with other issues be a factor in pulling access.

Originally posted by SSD
                    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I agree with those who are posting skeptically concerning the OP's odds of obtaining any federal positions in the current climate, let along the more competitive ones mentioned. I recommend putting time, 10 years, between the DUI and applying for one of the more competitive positions. In the interim, fill that time with some combination of the following: another degree, a foreign language, a state or local position (which present there own challenges landing with a recent DUI) or better yet a less competitive federal position (which presents its own challenge landing with a recent DUI). The LEO work can be substituted with professional private sector work where progressive responsibility can be demonstrated. But even with all of that, understand that you're hoping for a change of climate where you resume and time eclipses and obscures the blemish that shouldn't be there.

Best of luck.
                      Last edited by Erik; 05-14-2013, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
                        None taken and you are correct on the second part as-well.

A single DUI on its own is not in and of itself a trigger to loose or be denied access, but as you know-they take the whole person approach and if coupled with other factors a person could be denied or referred for higher level adjudication; which in some cases can nock a candidate out of the running due to processing timelines and subsequent appeals – if the candidate seeks one.

And for what its worth – the new security reporting requirements include alcohol incidents that trigger mandatory reporting (either self, peer or supervisor) to the cognizant security office. While this applies to current personnel with a clearance, if there are other facts involved this could be an issue for the person concerned and their continued suitability determination.

What you have to take into account is that aside from the one time DUI’s, it is frequently the case where a DUI simply brings to light undiagnosed and frequently long-term or problem instigated alcohol dependence. And as you know, a great many recent cases involving security issues had alcohol abuse in the subjects past; sometime the then current.

I emphasized the salient points for clarity and reiterate that a one time DUI; even better than five years ago will still be a hurdle. A one time DUI for a current Fed can when coupled with other issues be a factor in pulling access.
                        Excellent response sir!

Very true in every aspect. I have seen individuals applying for clearances being sent letters having to explain their drinking habits, etc. On many of the occasions the single DUI was mitigated by passage of time, uniqueness or isolation of event in an otherwise criminal act free life along with having to get letters from licensed alcohol counsleors. It can be mitigated. BUT as you say if this is coupled with other drinking incidents or unfavorable information this can cause one to be denied.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9984 users online. 474 members and 9510 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X