300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Professional Federal Agent Advice, Marshals, FBI, DEA, especially USSS

*Please don't respond or give advice if you have never worked in LE/Federal LE.*

I'm a 22 year old college student and about to graduate after a couple more classes. I got a DUI 2 months ago, in my driveway, the outcome will either be a Disorderly charge since my law knows the officer and said their is a chance he'll drop it down or I have to do the ARD program for my county which I never have to admit guilt and am never convicted of it then the charges get formally expunged 4-6 months after I take some alcohol classes and community service over a 6 month time period. I also got kicked out of my USSS internship in Philadelphia, biggest make of my life as I am sitting here with the semester already started and thinking that I could have been doing my internship right now instead of typing this up.

MY QUESTION
    I already planned on doing police work once done school, but is this seriously going to bar me from being hired by the Marshals, USSS or DEA after a couple years of police work? Those are the top three I am interested in. I have nothing on my record besides this and once it is expunged I'll have nothing, although I know it still comes up for Federal background checks. I don't have a drinking problem at all, I was just really stupid drinking in my basement and thought I was OK to drive, no excuse for why I drove except that I was drinking thus leading me to make poor choices. It won't happen again and I'm really looking forward to a career in federal law enforcement in the next 5 years hopefully.

Thanks to all

You have little to no chance of getting hired in a Federal Law Enforcement capacity in the next 7 years.

Sorry.

Comment

Is this based on anything or are you just throwing out the number 7?

Comment

Originally posted by notractionta View Post
        It's what you were charged with and you will have to admit to that. It may be expunged, but again you will have to admit to it. I don't see you getting hired for a while if anything.
        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

7 Years is generally the number Agencies go back on Background Checks, many go 10. With that, you will have to state this every time, as it will always be on your record.

My unsolicited advice: talk to a US Army recruiter bout being an Officer in the Army, or Enlist. You will be able to prove yourself again, get at least a Secret Clearance, and still do a worth while job that is serving your country. Again, you will have to be upfront about your background on this as well, but the Army still takes guys with records, such as yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by fanhood View Post
            7 Years is generally the number Agencies go back on Background Checks, many go 10. With that, you will have to state this every time, as it will always be on your record.

My unsolicited advice: talk to a US Army recruiter bout being an Officer in the Army, or Enlist. You will be able to prove yourself again, get at least a Secret Clearance, and still do a worth while job that is serving your country. Again, you will have to be upfront about your background on this as well, but the Army still takes guys with records, such as yourself.
            I am against this. If one does't or hasn't even thought about military, why enlist to cover up what they have done in their past?

Either way, it's just a DUI, you will have issues with getting hired, however it won't prevent you, it will just be an uphill battle to get hired.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Yeah I understand its not as big of a deal with local police work vs federal work I'm just thinking about down the road wise. I also know I will have to disclose what I did regardless of if it was expunged. Any federal agency is going to know I got charged with DUI, my quest is simply do I have a chance for federal or do they not even give people with a DUI in there past the time of day.

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                I am against this. If one does't or hasn't even thought about military, why enlist to cover up what they have done in their past?

Either way, it's just a DUI, you will have issues with getting hired, however it won't prevent you, it will just be an uphill battle to get hired.
                Sorry if I was not clear. In no way was I saying to be dishonest, lie, or cover up this DUI. What I meant was that the military is less stringent when evaluating personnel, thus they may accept this young man, even with the mistake. Obviously, he wants to serve his country, so this is a route to go.

Comment

Yeah I understand its not as big of a deal with local police work vs federal work I'm just thinking about down the road wise. I also know I will have to disclose what I did regardless of if it was expunged. Any federal agency is going to know I got charged with DUI, my quest is simply do I have a chance for federal or do they not even give people with a DUI in there past the time of day.
                  Actually it is a big of a deal. I would't go as far as comparing Locanl vs federal for a crime you committed.

Here's the thing. You don't know until you apply, however if you got canned for your internship over this, that right there to me does't look good.

Not many agencies are hiring right now and those that are, will looks for those with prior LE/miltary and or college with no criminal background issues. That is whom you will be competing against.

To me, you would have a chance, however with it being so recent. Most agencies won't touch you for a couple of years, say 3-5 years. And that will be both local and federal. But you never know.

Comment

Sorry, but it is a big deal with local agencies.

Comment

I doubt many local agencies would hire you with such a recent arrest much less federal. You need to reevaluate things. Military service is what I would do if I were you. Especially since you were talking about working for federal agencies. Without military service you will not even get to test for many federal agencies now. So if you really want to be a fed you should do something that is going to help you get the job and military service is the thing now. After you get out in four or better six years you will be a decent candidate. Obviously try to go in as a commissioned officer but with your recent arrest that may or may not be a problem. Talk to a recruiter if you are interested in going that route.

Comment

I never said it wasn't a big deal, so now ill clarify so its not taken out of context. "A DUI is going to create a bigger problem for me trying to get into a federal agency than a local police force down the road."

I'm talking down the road after some years of staying out if trouble, which I do, and a couple years of police work.
                        Last edited by notractionta; 01-29-2013, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Like others have said you are facing an uphill battle. Whatever they "knock it down to" does not matter. It will be seen for what it is, a DUI. I can tell you that during our last backgrounds for hire there was someone who had an excellent resume, degree, and military experience. Interviewed great, but had a DUI five years ago. Needless to say he didn't get hired, there are just too many applicants out there that don't have marks on their record. That's not to say you could never be hired, but it will be very tough.
                          "In valor there is hope"

Comment

Dude, I'm not going to sugar coat it. A DUI just about guarantees not getting a job in law enforcement. There are going to be tons of qualified applicants competing for the same job you are and many of them will be clean as a whistle...on paper atleast.

Comment

You can't even apply in Texas if you have had a DWI in the last ten years. Pretty much you are screwed, especially with the budget and reduced hiring. I have done the Fed and local route, and my opinion is local is a lot more stringent. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6639 users online. 362 members and 6277 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X