300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• specialized police units.

Hi. Long questions, and I'm looking for alot of info, so please bare with me.

Im Looking for information on any/all specialized police units for future employment.

Im currently working for 1st marine special operations battalion (MARSOC) and have 2 years left on my contract, they've expressed interest in keeping me, but it might be time for something new. Police was the original reason why I wanted military experience. now being where I am, it wouldn't make sense to go do something lower speed. So I'm looking for info on the possible special units out there.

(I'll be mid 20's when my contract expires).

Looking for a number of things-

Base requirements for the select unit.

Locations- (been everywhere so anywhere they are isn't a problem).

Training pipeline information-(time and depth of the training and who would be the best fit for my background.)

Operational tempo-

Who goes out to train the most, who deploys units for situations the most.

What are the gear outfits for each unit (weapons, comm gear, body armor, etc- who has the best available to them and If we have our own gear are we allowed to use some of it. I come from a motor transportation background, so who ever has good vehicles is a huge plus.

Base pay- who gets the best and does anyone offer special pay for anyone who has specialized training (like we do for jump school or combat diver).

How do the contracts generally work, year by year, multiple or what have you.

I've heard of USMS SOG, but would like to know more about other options.

Heritage, it's less important, but I love being from a place with a strong legacy.

Lastly-

Personality of a unit. Coming from a SOF background, the personality is that we are utter professionals in our field,- that being said we relax the everyday cultural standards the conventional military holds rigid- because we don't have to worry about discipline issues, people being late, or anything else- and when it comes time for training or operations- everyones kit is tight, bodies are ready, and minds are focused. A real brotherhood inside a unit- regardless of rank. A professional personality is very very important to me.

Numbers and emails of recruiting services for each is appreciated, aswell as any personal experience info given.

Thanks, Ed.

That's a lot of info, and it varies A LOT

You're going to have to do quite a bit of independent research, check out every large agency's websites to give you a general idea

Comment

Sooooo you're asking us to do a monumental amount of research that is specific to each and every one of the agencies from all over the United States?

Yeah, okay.

EDITED TO ADD: And you want personal contacts of the recruiters?

Get hired first, then after working patrol for a couple years, you can test for a specialized unit.

Comment

yeah i have google fellas, so the GTS bit- not really what i'm looking for. (came to seek *first hand knowledge*, from people who work for places like SOG and know the ins and outs). thanks.

Comment

You will need to decide if you want to go fed, state, or local and then start your research. There are alot of agencies with different specialized units. Based on your post it sounds like you are interested in SWAT more than investigations. Something you will need to understand though is no matter where you go (fed, state, or local) you will start out in patrol and will have to be there (and off probation) before being aloud to test/try-out for any specialized unit. However the rules vary between agencies.
          Good luck!

Comment

try this:

https://www.fbijobs.gov/116.asp
            Last edited by SnakeDoctor; 01-28-2013, 11:30 PM.

Comment

MSOB1,

This is not to meant to disparage your service as a SF guy, but you realize while more rare than non-SF veterans, you are not on an island by yourself. If you go to any department with any size, you will likely find a number of former and even current (guard/reserve) SF guys. The take away is going to be do not go into a law enforcement job with the attitude that you are bad and have already earned the right to be on a tac team. You are going have to be an entry level guy for a few years then you can test for specialty units at nearly every department. If you want to hurt/kill your chances in joining a specialty unit, start talking about how you ought to be put on a tac team before you sever your team in the field.

The one exception MAY be Office of Secure Transport with the Department of Energy. I do not know a great deal about them, but may be worth a look-see.

Comment

Im currently working for 1st marine special operations battalion
                Are you force recon qualified? I've never heard any special operations type say they were "working for" somebody... they say they're force recon or green beret or whatever assigned to whatever unit.

Marine Special Operations Battalions have force recon Marines in combat roles and conventional Marines assigned in support roles, much like an Army Special Forces Group.

If you're not be careful that you aren't seen as laying claim to something beyond what you've actually earned.

If you ARE then be sure you clearly and succinctly explain your qualifications to help others understand where you're coming from.
                Last edited by tanksoldier; 01-28-2013, 11:55 PM.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Like others have said, you are going to most likely have to put a few years in before a tac-team will take you unless you are lucky enough to get on with the FBI tactical team, or CIA security team. I have been fighting like crazy to get a FED LEO gig and it has been very difficult, my suggestion is to get into the system and go from there. You will find that there is no rhyme or reason to the hiring process and even those with SOF experience have to go through the motions like everyone else. My suggestion is to try to go to college if you have not already done that, the degree will help just as much as the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by MSOB1 View Post
                    Hi. Long questions, and I'm looking for alot of info, so please bare with me.

Im Looking for information on any/all specialized police units for future employment.

Im currently working for 1st marine special operations battalion (MARSOC) and have 2 years left on my contract, they've expressed interest in keeping me, but it might be time for something new. Police was the original reason why I wanted military experience. now being where I am, it wouldn't make sense to go do something lower speed. So I'm looking for info on the possible special units out there.

(I'll be mid 20's when my contract expires).

Looking for a number of things-

Base requirements for the select unit.

Locations- (been everywhere so anywhere they are isn't a problem).

Training pipeline information-(time and depth of the training and who would be the best fit for my background.)

Operational tempo-

Who goes out to train the most, who deploys units for situations the most.

What are the gear outfits for each unit (weapons, comm gear, body armor, etc- who has the best available to them and If we have our own gear are we allowed to use some of it. I come from a motor transportation background, so who ever has good vehicles is a huge plus.

Base pay- who gets the best and does anyone offer special pay for anyone who has specialized training (like we do for jump school or combat diver).

How do the contracts generally work, year by year, multiple or what have you.

I've heard of USMS SOG, but would like to know more about other options.

Heritage, it's less important, but I love being from a place with a strong legacy.

Lastly-

Personality of a unit. Coming from a SOF background, the personality is that we are utter professionals in our field,- that being said we relax the everyday cultural standards the conventional military holds rigid- because we don't have to worry about discipline issues, people being late, or anything else- and when it comes time for training or operations- everyones kit is tight, bodies are ready, and minds are focused. A real brotherhood inside a unit- regardless of rank. A professional personality is very very important to me.

Numbers and emails of recruiting services for each is appreciated, aswell as any personal experience info given.

Thanks, Ed.
                    yeah i have google fellas, so the GTS bit- not really what i'm looking for. (came to seek *first hand knowledge*, from people who work for places like SOG and know the ins and outs). thanks.
                    Hi, Ed. Welcome to officer.com. I have no doubt your posts are written with the best of intentions. Seeing as you have told us you are in your early twenties, allow me to assume your comments come from your relative inexperience in relating with more senior members of law enforcement, specifically those who are accustomed to hearing from would-be applicants. While what I write here may seem harsh, abrupt, or dismissive, please rest assured that it is written with the intent of showing you how your post is read by the seasoned members of this board.

Before I begin, I would like to take a moment to thank you for your military service. I do not want you to think what I'm about to say in any way is mean to insult, disparage, or disrespect the sacrifices you've made in service to your country.

Ok, ready? Here we go. Nobody here cares that you can fast rope upside-down out of a helicopter with a grenade in one hand and a M-60 in the other. If you don't check your ego at the door, you can forget about getting hired as a meter maid, let alone a federal agent or police officer. I've been on hiring panels. The folks who come in acting like hot sh*t get shown the door immediately. If you can't even pretend to be humble about your experiences, you're going to have a bad time. Good luck explaining how your ability to smoke a cigar while shooting a missile from a motorcycle translates into being able to write an affidavit or investigate a complaint.

Do you realize your that you just kicked the d*ck of every member of this board who isn't on HRT/FAST/CAT/Whatever by talking about how it would be a step down to lower yourself to their level? No offense, but the second you return to the civilian world you're going to find these same folks you just insulted are the ones you're going to count on to get hired. I hate to break this to you, but no elite units within law enforcement agencies do direct hires. You have to prove yourself as an officer or an agent before getting the chance to even try out for the specialized units.

When I started this reply, I really thought I was going to tear into your comments and parse them out individually to embarrass you into realizing how foolish you sound. Maybe I'm getting a little long in the tooth, but I've come to realize I just don't care if you appreciate that you've come across like a colossal pr*ck with a sense of entitlement that is wholly undeserved.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the relatively few members of this board who are affiliated with one of those elite units will take the time to send you a PM answering all of your riveting questions and supply you with the direct line to the recruiters. I guess anything's possible. In the meantime, I look forward to hearing from you in a few years when you are so excited to tell the board you just applied for your first job and you're looking forward to getting some tips on what to wear to the written test.

Comment

Originally posted by Firefox View Post
                      Like others have said, you are going to most likely have to put a few years in before a tac-team will take you unless you are lucky enough to get on with the FBI tactical team, or CIA security team. I have been fighting like crazy to get a FED LEO gig and it has been very difficult, my suggestion is to get into the system and go from there. You will find that there is no rhyme or reason to the hiring process and even those with SOF experience have to go through the motions like everyone else. My suggestion is to try to go to college if you have not already done that, the degree will help just as much as the experience.
                      what do you know about the FBI tac teams, SWAT and HRT, is there a quicker way through that pipeline? thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by espantoon View Post
                        Hi, Ed. Welcome to officer.com. I have no doubt your posts are written with the best of intentions. Seeing as you have told us you are in your early twenties, allow me to assume your comments come from your relative inexperience in relating with more senior members of law enforcement, specifically those who are accustomed to hearing from would-be applicants. While what I write here may seem harsh, abrupt, or dismissive, please rest assured that it is written with the intent of showing you how your post is read by the seasoned members of this board.

Before I begin, I would like to take a moment to thank you for your military service. I do not want you to think what I'm about to say in any way is mean to insult, disparage, or disrespect the sacrifices you've made in service to your country.

Ok, ready? Here we go. Nobody here cares that you can fast rope upside-down out of a helicopter with a grenade in one hand and a M-60 in the other. If you don't check your ego at the door, you can forget about getting hired as a meter maid, let alone a federal agent or police officer. I've been on hiring panels. The folks who come in acting like hot sh*t get shown the door immediately. If you can't even pretend to be humble about your experiences, you're going to have a bad time. Good luck explaining how your ability to smoke a cigar while shooting a missile from a motorcycle translates into being able to write an affidavit or investigate a complaint.

Do you realize your that you just kicked the d*ck of every member of this board who isn't on HRT/FAST/CAT/Whatever by talking about how it would be a step down to lower yourself to their level? No offense, but the second you return to the civilian world you're going to find these same folks you just insulted are the ones you're going to count on to get hired. I hate to break this to you, but no elite units within law enforcement agencies do direct hires. You have to prove yourself as an officer or an agent before getting the chance to even try out for the specialized units.

When I started this reply, I really thought I was going to tear into your comments and parse them out individually to embarrass you into realizing how foolish you sound. Maybe I'm getting a little long in the tooth, but I've come to realize I just don't care if you appreciate that you've come across like a colossal pr*ck with a sense of entitlement that is wholly undeserved.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the relatively few members of this board who are affiliated with one of those elite units will take the time to send you a PM answering all of your riveting questions and supply you with the direct line to the recruiters. I guess anything's possible. In the meantime, I look forward to hearing from you in a few years when you are so excited to tell the board you just applied for your first job and you're looking forward to getting some tips on what to wear to the written test.
                        My apologies, i only wanted to state my backround, not insult your career(s). probably could have chose my words better. guess my approach was taken as very blunt. Mabey a could state it better. - A less conventional, higher tactically based, small team tactics unit: is what i'm interested in.

Comment

what do you know about the FBI tac teams, SWAT and HRT, is there a quicker way through that pipeline? thanks for the info
                          Nope....AGENT FIRST.....then onto other stuff.....

Same is if you got onto a Police Dept/Sheriff's Dept/Fed LEO Agency. You will start at the bottom.....

Comment

rgr, thanks

Comment

Hi MSOB1, espantoon essentially laid out very clearly the gut feeling I had when reading your first post in this thread. FWIW I am not a civilian LEO or an SOF guy. I have Military Police experience, supported a few different LE Agencies and am only in the hiring process with some departments.

So, if you haven't completely tuned me out yet, I would recommend you go to "socnet.com"
                              That board has many many many vetted current and former members of SOF. They can address your military experience and help you curtail it to be attractive to law enforcement agencies.

In any case; as a fellow (but not SF) veteran and mid-twenty year old, good luck. Even landing a Community Service Officer position is difficult in this climate. Your humility coupled with your ability to articulate how relevant your skills are to LE is essential.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10097 users online. 484 members and 9613 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X