Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would i need to stand out for an internship?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would i need to stand out for an internship?

Hi, i'm currently a college student in my 2nd semester at wvu

Double majoring in Russian and international studies (emphasis in intelligence and national security)

Currently i have a 4.0 GPA and am in a club, but besides work, volunteer experience, and studying abroad, what else would make me stand out to federal agencies? (intelligence or any of the LE agencies)

in addition, i've also been talking to a marine selection officer about looking into OCS

Thanks

First off, you have an impressive background. What sort of work do you do? What sort of volunteer work do you do? Are you apart of any extracurricular activities? Are you in a club or clubs? Are a leader in any of those clubs, for example president, vice president etc? Have you started a club? Are you president of student government? You have to think about all of that, you dont have to do every single thing, but some of that stuff will help you.

What year are you? If you are a sophomore/junior you should be applying to the internships now. It will take at least a year to get hired.

Originally posted by FutureWVtrooper View Post
    Hi, i'm currently a college student in my 2nd semester at wvu

Double majoring in Russian and international studies (emphasis in intelligence and national security)

Currently i have a 4.0 GPA and am in a club, but besides work, volunteer experience, and studying abroad, what else would make me stand out to federal agencies? (intelligence or any of the LE agencies)

in addition, i've also been talking to a marine selection officer about looking into OCS

Thanks
    CBPO
    Exam: Retook exam: 11/2010
    TO: 2/2011
    Medical: 3/22/2011
    PT Test: 3/22/2011
    VBT: 3/2011
    Background: 3/2011
    Drug Test: 4/2011
    Referred to TSU: 5/2011
    PT Test 2: TBD
    FLETC: Good Question lol
    CBP Officer:

USMS- Region 8
    Info Session 9/2009
    Interview 3/2010
    COE 5/2010
    Medical 5/2010
    Fit/Background 7/2010
    All clear as of 11/2010
    FCIP Over, all applicants scrapped. (GAME OVER) 3/2011 :'(

Comment

You sound like you are pretty busy, but I would see if you could find time to work as a Reserve Officer with a local agency.

It looks good as volunteer work, plus it is good experience whether you go local, state, or federal. It most certainly won't hurt your resume.
      sigpic

Comment

In the end a degree is a degree for the most part. You have to do well on the written exam, agilty test and oral interview...you're background may help you with the interview, but if you bomb the written you are done. Impressive background though.
        We don't "LOL" here. This isn't facebook or some text message between BFF's who are all OMG WTFJH and DYST? We type and speak as adults. Fix yourself.

Comment

I applied for the university pd cadet position but wasn't selected, as they usually only hire upperclassmen, and were hiring 4, but 15(ish)? were interviewed

I still felt i did well, and i'm reapplying to the program again in the fall

I've already applied to 2 federal internships, those were the only ones i could find open for freshmen, but next year many more will open up for me

Comment

If I may add something unrelated here as well, keep your nose clean while you are in college, don't get arrested or cited for alcohol and stay away from drugs. It is easy to fall with the wrong crowd, but trust me, one incident will make the difference in the future.

Comment

Not answering your question per se, but in case you haven't heard of it, I remember reading about how a FLETC internship is a sweet gig that basically lets you audit most of the CITP classes you would take anyway if you were hired as an 1811 down the road. Also lots of opportunity for networking, and you get paid a little bit to boot. I wish I would have known about it during college.

Comment

Originally posted by myty7 View Post
                Not answering your question per se, but in case you haven't heard of it, I remember reading about how a FLETC internship is a sweet gig that basically lets you audit most of the CITP classes you would take anyway if you were hired as an 1811 down the road. Also lots of opportunity for networking, and you get paid a little bit to boot. I wish I would have known about it during college.
                Ah, it sounds like a nice gig, but supposedly they only allow CJ related majors in, and it's a seniors program, but when the time comes, i'll apply to everything i can.

Comment

The best thing you can do is try to find the Pathways coordinator for each agency and email them. Getting an intership is a crap shoot, and has gotten even more difficult for non Veterans because of the number of Vets using their GI Bill. I was an Intern and then was converted to a position after I graduated (Non-LEO).

Comment

Originally posted by Firefox View Post
                    The best thing you can do is try to find the Pathways coordinator for each agency and email them. Getting an intership is a crap shoot, and has gotten even more difficult for non Veterans because of the number of Vets using their GI Bill. I was an Intern and then was converted to a position after I graduated (Non-LEO).
                    Good advice, thanks. It also slipped my mind about vets applying to internships

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10491 users online. 497 members and 9994 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X