Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What counts more for an 1811 job: Military experience or law enforcement?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What counts more for an 1811 job: Military experience or law enforcement?

I know every case is different and each individual has his own skills and qualifications that are brought to the table, but what would you say gives you the better chance at getting hired as an 1811: military experience or local law enforcement?

Military experience. You have a better chance becoming a fed with a degree and military experience.

Comment

Yep, many openings you can't even apply to without military or some other special factor.

Likewise college. Most 1811 openings require a 4 year degree minimum.

So, I'd say college, military, disability points and then previous LE experience in that order.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Go to West Point or ROTC or something liket that, get military experience and a Degree. Kill two birds with one stone. Wish I would have done it.

Comment

ROTC was good for me. Best career move I have ever made by far! In no other job out of college you can directly lead 35 men (combat arms), million dollars worth of equipment, and responsibility for planning your platoon training. And of course be a leader in combat situations. Compared to your civilian peers, there is no comparison.. Not at all..

Comment

I would think most hiring managers would like law enforcement experience unless you have some specialized MOS. With that being said, our SAC has a drawer full of resumes of great guys that he just can't hire. Military would probably serve you better with OPM under ability to apply and where you might place on a list.
            "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

I would say from my own limited experience that military gets you in the door, local or some other law enforcement experience gets you hired.

Comment

For an entry level position LE experience really doesn't matter because they will train you on what they want you to know. Actually some agencies such as the USSS prefer you don't have local LE experience. Some came in with it, but the majority don't. At phase 2 for FBI, most candidates wereneither military , accountants, and lawyers. Getting an 1811 entry level gig, military preference will ensure your name floats to the top of any open candidate list. LE experience doesn't ensure this.

Comment

To be more specific, use ROTC in college to get your commission as an Officer in the military. While enlisted experience is invaluable ( I was both enlisted and commissioned), officer immediately assume positions of leadership and responsibility of both personnel and multi-million dollars worth of equipment. It's the biggest bang for the buck. In LE you have to do a couple (or more) years on the street to even be able to apply to an investigative position to make you more qualified.

Not to say its NEEDED, we had quite a few patrol cops in our academy that applied straight out of college or shortly thereafter.

Again, not knocking any other way or experience but in almost every 1811 position opening the "specialized skills" almost always include military and with that typically comes vet preference. = biggest bang for the buck.

Just make sure you'll like your job. The military was my stepping stone, but I also love it and plan to remain a reservist until I retire.
                  In the absence of orders, ATTACK!

False motivation is better than no motivation. Eventually the real motivation takes over.

I can't believe I get paid to do this!

Comment

Local law enforcement is definitely better experience, but military will get you hired. So to answer your question, military. Without a doubt.

I know super squared away guys that had years of experience in law enforcement, including on federal task forces, that didn't even get invited to test with fed agencies recently because they weren't vets. It is what it is. Military is where it's at to get in the 1811 door.

Comment

Originally posted by tsfl89 View Post
                      Local law enforcement is definitely better experience, but military will get you hired. So to answer your question, military. Without a doubt.

I know super squared away guys that had years of experience in law enforcement, including on federal task forces, that didn't even get invited to test with fed agencies recently because they weren't vets. It is what it is. Military is where it's at to get in the 1811 door.
                      I had a great résumé with a grad degree and 10 plus years as a local Leo with federal task force experience. The only reason I made the list was my 5 veteran points. So military is a great idea.

Comment

In the past, people with experience outside of the military were given more consideration, but keep in mind that we have had two major military conflicts in the recent past that are winding down, and that there are literally hundreds of thousands of veterans looking for jobs. If you don't have veterans points, you are fighting an uphill battle, at least in terms of 1811 hiring.

Just as an example, me personally, I am a non-vet, currently a Border Patrol Agent with 5+ years, 5 years as a Deputy Sheriff, Masters Business Administration, and I wasn't even invited to test for US Marshals or ATF last year because I am a non-vet, and my application for HSI was thrown out because I am a non-vet.
                        Last edited by Albert Wesker; 01-31-2013, 09:47 AM.
                        Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

What Counts More For An 1811 Job: Military Experience Or Law Enforcement?

Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
                          .....Just as an example, me personally, I am a non-vet, currently a Border Patrol Agent with 5+ years, 5 years as a Deputy Sheriff, Masters Business Administration, and I wasn't even invited to test for US Marshals or ATF last year because I am a non-vet, and my application for HSI was thrown out because I am a non-vet.....
                          Wow, a current fed with an MBA and they passed you over. That is pretty telling right there. My oldest son is 17 and a high school junior, I have pretty much told him to get:

-Military experience

-College/university degree(s)

-Law enforcement experience

If he has a second language and EMT, that couldn't hurt either.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post
                            Wow, a current fed with an MBA and they passed you over. That is pretty telling right there. My oldest son is 17 and a high school junior, I have pretty much told him to get:

-Military experience

-College/university degree(s)

-Law enforcement experience

If he has a second language and EMT, that couldn't hurt either.
                            Honestly unless you look like Jason Bourne on your resume, it's going to be tough getting in. The good news is that I am patient and willing/able to wait since I'm already a fed. It might take me 10 years, but it's going to happen.
                            Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
                              Just as an example, me personally, I am a non-vet, currently a Border Patrol Agent with 5+ years, 5 years as a Deputy Sheriff, Masters Business Administration, and I wasn't even invited to test for US Marshals or ATF last year because I am a non-vet, and my application for HSI was thrown out because I am a non-vet.
                              I hope that everyone that is wanting an 1811 gig sees this....because its the harsh reality now...... and sucks for a lot of folks that would make good 1811 based on what they've done over the years....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10856 users online. 509 members and 10347 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X