300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONUS K9 Careers (LE and non-LE)

I'm trying to find out where most of my fellow MWD handlers have ended up in their careers stateside.

AMK9, G4S, and TSA seem to be the only places that will hire directly into a dog handling spot.

Aside from becoming a sworn LEO with an agency and competing for a K9 position, where else might a handler find work ...handling a dog?

fwiw, I would be more than happy to land one of the gigs named above, I'm just hoping to widen my search and see what I might be missing.

Thanks!

Aside from becoming an LEO, you could open a dog grooming salon

Ok, in all seriousness, in my agency to become a K-9 handler, you generally have to be a journeyman level Agent (GS-12), which will take 3-4 years. You compete against the other agents who want K-9, and I believe seniority may play a factor. I believe that it is considered a collateral duty. The K-9 academy is 7 weeks long in El Paso, TX.
    Last edited by Albert Wesker; 01-18-2013, 07:31 PM.
    Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
      Aside from becoming an LEO, you could open a dog grooming salon

Ok, in all seriousness, in my agency to become a K-9 handler, you generally have to be a journeyman level Agent (GS-12), which will take 3-4 years. You compete against the other agents who want K-9, and I believe seniority may play a factor. I believe that it is considered a collateral duty. The K-9 academy is 7 weeks long in El Paso, TX.
      In San Diego Sector its all based on the interview. Work ethic usually plays a part in it but not always.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6675 users online. 336 members and 6339 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X