Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transferring agencies and the GS

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Transferring agencies and the GS

    I found some old info on this and was curious if anyone has encountered this lately. I'm currently a GS12 1811 and I'm transfering to another 1811 position(different department.). If I stay with my current agency I will receive my 13 in June. So if I transfer in say March, will I have to do a full year to get my 13 or will the new agency honor the 13 in June? (It's a journeyman 13 position) it could ultimately affect my decision to transfer, 18,000 is a lot of money to loose (at least for a year)

    Thanks.

  • #2
    Ultimately it will be up to the SAC. If its a deal breaker for you I'd find out in advance from the new agencies HR (I'd want the reply in writing). In this economy the agency is holding all the cards. If you are moving to your dream location it might be worth it. Good Luck with it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Copy that. The economy is what scares me. In a year from now I may never see that 13. Thanks for the advice. Have a great night.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by C-8 View Post
        I found some old info on this and was curious if anyone has encountered this lately. I'm currently a GS12 1811 and I'm transfering to another 1811 position(different department.). If I stay with my current agency I will receive my 13 in June. So if I transfer in say March, will I have to do a full year to get my 13 or will the new agency honor the 13 in June? (It's a journeyman 13 position) it could ultimately affect my decision to transfer, 18,000 is a lot of money to loose (at least for a year)

        Thanks.
        They might be able to work with you and bring you in at a higher step.

        Besides, it's not exactly like you would be losing $18,000 since you have never been paid GS-13 level. You would just maintain your current pay for a longer period of time at the worst case scenario. That is hardly a deal breaker in my opinion.
        Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

        Comment


        • #5
          I'll inquire about the step. Thank you, I appreciate your opinion. The only reason it might be a deal breaker is because I'm feeding a family that can really use the extra 700 a paycheck.

          Comment


          • #6
            You also have to consider the cost of living in the location. Is it much less, more or the same? If the location is unknown you might end up in NYC or LA or some god awful border town. In some parts of the country people might consider my income real high but I'd be better off making less in many other places. Also how does the family feel about it? Are you going to be working a lot more hours on the new job? Is the new agency known for treating their people well or otherwise? Do people tend to stay until retirement or is it a stop along the way position? Lots more to it than money. Good Luck

            Comment


            • #7
              I feel ya. All great points. I'm in LA now. Hell on earth. Came from back east. I'm going to here from HR on Monday. We will see what they have to say. Thanks again. Have a good weekend.

              Comment


              • #8
                I fully understand your feelings on LA. Not a family friendly location. Working there and driving way out on those freeways to a decent location for your family really makes life hard. I hope it works out for the best for you and your family.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
                  They might be able to work with you and bring you in at a higher step.

                  Besides, it's not exactly like you would be losing $18,000 since you have never been paid GS-13 level. You would just maintain your current pay for a longer period of time at the worst case scenario. That is hardly a deal breaker in my opinion.
                  It would also depend on if you're changing location. The base rate is affected by locality pay and if there are special locality pays (High cost of living areas) or not.

                  Positions are posted with the grade needed. If you apply for a grade 13 gs position then you would be hired at a 13, if you apply for a 11/13 position, you could keep your 11 and a year later get the 13. It all depends on the job posting and the hiring authority. Either way your seniority goes with you.

                  Another thing that can happen is you are offered 11 but with in grade step increases. I transferred from one VA to another with 3 step increase, from GS-6 step 2 to step 5 (about 10k a year increase due to step increase and special locality pay), which could amount to a pay raise with out the grade increase.

                  In short, if you apply for a GS-11 position, no the new agency does not have to honor grade increase to 13 from your old agency.
                  GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

                  "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by C-8 View Post
                    I'll inquire about the step. Thank you, I appreciate your opinion. The only reason it might be a deal breaker is because I'm feeding a family that can really use the extra 700 a paycheck.
                    Keep in mind that you are already feeding your family based on your current pay without the extra $700, so feeding them in the new job would not be harder. Besides you would still get that 13 in a year, which is not a long wait.
                    Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      x-fer

                      Does anyone have an insight on how difficult it would be to transfer to another agency if you are already an 1811? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

                      Comment

                      MR300x250 Tablet

                      Collapse

                      What's Going On

                      Collapse

                      There are currently 6476 users online. 300 members and 6176 guests.

                      Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                      Welcome Ad

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X