300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Park Service Summer Seasonal 2012

Hello, fellow NPS people! I was just checking in to see who has heard anything about summer jobs with the NPS. With all the budget turmoil going on right now, I have been curious to see how it will affect employment this season (especially for seasonals). Any availability checks or offers yet?

Well no surprise but seasonal positions will be the first personnel cut. Followed by moving permanent full time positions into furlough positions. I think you will see a lot of seasonals returning to the parks they were at in 2012. It will probably be very hard for newer or less experienced seasonals to get a gig.

Comment

Not surprised at all, unfortunately. I do have at least one position tentatively lined up, so I don't think I'll be too picky this year. Fortunately, I have over 4 seasons experience at 4 different parks, so hopefully that will help. I'm also an EMT which is always a plus. I'm trying to remain as optimistic as possible at this point.

Comment

I'm tired of worrying if I should attend a seasonal academy or keep my federal job. Part of me wants to be an NPS seasonal and part of me is saying that I will be waiting around for a job that will never materialize.

Comment

Well, I have received 2 availability checks this week! I still have a few dozen applications out, so things aren't looking too bad right now! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

Regarding the PEB:

It seems like different parks do theirs in a different way. My first (and only) park did the bench press test in a power rack. The safety bars were a couple inches above the chest. The bar was on the safety bars and you just had to push the bar to extension.

I have also heard parks use a smith machine, others a more traditional bench machine, others use free weights where the bar was lowered to the chest by spotters, and others which most people would call a "normal" freeweight bench press.

What is the most common technique for the PEB?

Comment

Yep. Different parks will do it different ways. I've heard varying rules regarding the bench press, but I believe as long as you can demonstrate that you can lift the required weight from near chest level, that is what counts. I've worked at 4 parks and one other job that required a PEB and we have done it all of the above ways you mentioned. I wish there was a more consistent way because I know that some of the machines are horribly inaccurate. Depending on the machine used, my bench press has varied 30+ lbs! lol

Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
              Regarding the PEB:

It seems like different parks do theirs in a different way. My first (and only) park did the bench press test in a power rack. The safety bars were a couple inches above the chest. The bar was on the safety bars and you just had to push the bar to extension.

I have also heard parks use a smith machine, others a more traditional bench machine, others use free weights where the bar was lowered to the chest by spotters, and others which most people would call a "normal" freeweight bench press.

Comment

Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
                Regarding the PEB:

You have heard correctly (from an NPS Fitness Coordinator). It varies a lot, but it is supposed to be a universal machine at chest level.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4729 users online. 215 members and 4514 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X