300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forest Service LEO Dec 2012 Posting

Anyone else applied? I know it is a status candidate only posting (which I'm hoping works in my favor). If anyone has any information on potential timelines or OTJ experience I'd be glad to hear it. Thanks again.

I applied under the Pathways Program. Current fed Leo, but I recieved my degree within two years.

Comment

I applied under the VRA-Status Candidate posting. I am a veteran, plus I am a municipal police officer, but I’ve wanted this for a long time.

Comment

Charles-

For every 1801 position the USFS posts they almost always post both a status and non-status announcement. They did this for these positions as well. The open to all announcements closed last week (always last one week), the status typically last one month.

I applied under the pathways and open to all post.

Comment

Didnt know that, so they post different anouncements for the same position and basically just choose the best qualified then?

Comment

How does vet preference work under Pathways? I understand vets get six years to apply, but is any additional preference in play under Pathways? I figured Pathways would be the only slight chance a non-vet would get in under these announcements (not complaining about vet preference by the way!).
            "In valor there is hope"

Comment

Originally posted by borninblue View Post
              How does vet preference work under Pathways? I understand vets get six years to apply, but is any additional preference in play under Pathways? I figured Pathways would be the only slight chance a non-vet would get in under these announcements (not complaining about vet preference by the way!).
              Vet pref applies just like all other jobs. Thats one of the two big changes from STEP/SCEP. Vet pref didn't apply under STEP/SCEP an agency could hire anyone. The other difference is the requirement of a job announcement.

So Pathways actually makes it harder for a non-vet student/recent grad to get a job....

Comment

Originally posted by charleshardin25 View Post
                Didnt know that, so they post different anouncements for the same position and basically just choose the best qualified then?
                Well I wouldn't say "best qualified" more like who they wan't.

Do some research on here about USFS LE. Big changes in hiring the past 2 years, not very well liked by applicants.

Comment

So safe to say non-vets have about a .01% chance of landing a job with the USFS....lol.
                  Last edited by borninblue; 12-27-2012, 12:25 AM.
                  "In valor there is hope"

Comment

Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
                    Well I wouldn't say "best qualified" more like who they wan't.

Do some research on here about USFS LE. Big changes in hiring the past 2 years, not very well liked by applicants.
                    I see, glad I didn't put all my eggs in one basket though. I applied to every posting I was qualified, plus several NPS seasonal. I feel if I can make it to an interview I can sell myself, but who knows.

Comment

Charles- If you have ?s about any of these natural resource LE gigs shoot me a message.

Comment

Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
                        Charles- If you have ?s about any of these natural resource LE gigs shoot me a message.
                        pm sent

Comment

So safe to say non-vets have about a .01% chance of landing a job with the USFS....lol.
                          That's true of every federal opening and agency. My brother works for a DOI agency and one of his ancillary duties is to evaluate hiring practices to make sure no EEOC regs are broken (which according to him is a joke in and of itself). He tells me that it is virtually impossible for a non-pref candidate to get hired unless it's a very specialized position like archeology, botany, etc.

Apparently anytime a preference candidate is passed over the agency needs to submit all kinds of paperwork proving that the person selected was a much better candidate. Then there are the piles of FOIA requests that come in from both preference and non-preference candidates that weren't selected. Which means it's just a whole lot easier to select a preference candidate and move on to the next project.

Certainly not busting any preference candidate's chops, they've earned that preference, but those who aren't preference candidates need to be realistic. Especially in a field like law enforcement.
                          He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
                          shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
                          - Psalm 91:1

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

Originally posted by bsd13 View Post
                            That's true of every federal opening and agency. My brother works for a DOI agency and one of his ancillary duties is to evaluate hiring practices to make sure no EEOC regs are broken (which according to him is a joke in and of itself). He tells me that it is virtually impossible for a non-pref candidate to get hired unless it's a very specialized position like archeology, botany, etc.

Apparently anytime a preference candidate is passed over the agency needs to submit all kinds of paperwork proving that the person selected was a much better candidate. Then there are the piles of FOIA requests that come in from both preference and non-preference candidates that weren't selected. Which means it's just a whole lot easier to select a preference candidate and move on to the next project.

Certainly not busting any preference candidate's chops, they've earned that preference, but those who aren't preference candidates need to be realistic. Especially in a field like law enforcement.
                            You're right, like you said they have earned the preference and right now it is what it is. The fact is if you're a non preference candidate (like myself) your chances of getting into the Federal LE world are very slim. Military to law enforcement is a likely transition, which makes the applicant pool very large with the troops coming home. When you try to explain it to people outside of LE or trying to get into LE they can't quite comprehend it.

Like you said people need to be realistic. Just because you graduated top of your class and have a great list of credentials, if military service isn't on that list you have an uphill battle. I appreciate everything our military has, and continues to do for our country.
                            Last edited by borninblue; 12-27-2012, 03:54 AM.
                            "In valor there is hope"

Comment

You're right, like you said they have earned the preference and right now it is what it is. The fact is if you're a non preference candidate (like myself) your chances of getting into the Federal LE world are very slim. Military to law enforcement is a likely transition, which makes the applicant pool very large with the troops coming home. When you try to explain it to people outside of LE or trying to get into LE they can't quite comprehend it.

Like you said people need to be realistic. Just because you graduated top of your class and have a great list of credentials, if military service isn't on that list you have an uphill battle. I appreciate everything our military has, and continues to do for our country.
                              It's truly an uphill battle. I was lucky in that I got in during a huge hiring push at my agency. Unfortunately though, now I am ready to move into investigations and am having extreme difficulty. The problem isn't the vets, the problem is that the agencies are just not hiring like they used to hire. I remember there were years when ICE (HSI) was putting classes through fletc non-stop. Now they are lucky to have a couple of classes a year.

I consider myself fortunate in that I already have my badge and gun, but the old days when guys could easily move from agency to agency are over and if you are lucky enough to get in now, you might just be in that agency until you either retire or quit.
                              Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5061 users online. 280 members and 4781 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X