300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA ABC Special Agents

Does anyone have any information about the Virginia ABC Special Agents? How the process takes, Training, and what should one expect to do in this position?

Found this just by looking it up in google:

Duties include but are not limited to:

Inspecting ABC licensed establishments throughout the year to ensure compliance; conducting follow-up investigations related to falsification of records, money laundering, tax evasion and more;
    Conducting criminal investigations in conjunction with ABC-related matters, including illicit drug use or distribution, illegal weapons, gambling or counterfeit activities, and more;
    Conducting surveillance and investigations of licensed and unlicensed establishments ("nip joints") to curb illegal activities including sales to underage or intoxicated persons;
    Conducting background investigations to determine the suitability of licensee applicants;
    Ensuring public safety and health;
    Ensuring the collection of tax dollars;
    Responding to other law enforcement agencies; and
    Serving as a liaison to the local community.

Comment

My uncle started with VA State Police and did ABC for years. He loved the job and always had crazy stories to tell. What Manstown posted is accurate. Good Luck!

Comment

A.Their web site: http://www.abc.state.va.us/enforce/enforce.htm

B. Looks like they are not currently hiring for basic agents. They are hiring for an Assistant SAC. I doubt they hire outside for that. They tend to only announce on the ABC web site....so you have to keep checking. I know they just had an opening about 3-4 months ago, so it will be awhile before it happens again I suspect.

C. ABC LEOs work out of their home, have their own rides, and set their own hours (as long as you get 40 per week). You go into the area offices 1-2 times a week to turn in paperwork and such. A lot of the older agents tend to work 9-5/M-F doing admin stuff.....while the younger ones tend to work with the locals at night in get into the mix of things.

D. ABC is kinda funky when it comes to training. If you aren't a VA Certified LEO, be ready to go thru some sort of academy to get certified. When I applied, I was a MO Certified Officer and they were going to make me go thru an 8-9 week academy in Richmond. Not sure what they are doing now.

Comment

Most of your work will involve administrative investigations. Some criminal work depending on what region you work for. Most work is directly related to licensed establishments and complaints. Most criminal investigations generally deal with untaxed white liquor, narcotics, internal investigations, and underage sales of alcohol/tobacco. Good gig, excellent hours, take home car, some Agents work from home and the others are assigned to the regional office. However, you will spend most of your time in the field.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm schedule to take the test next week. The letter I received stated that they will possibly assign me a vehicle to attend the academy; since, I will be relocating. Is there any other information I should know, maybe something about the test and physical requirement, there was nothing mention concerning that aspect.

Comment

Its been a while since I applied for them. And yes, I kick myself in the *** for not taking the gig....as I ended up with a crappy one with DOJ and eventually moved on.....

From the web site: http://www.abc.virginia.gov/enforce/recruit.html

It says that you'd be going thru an academy. I know they were sending everyone to an academy in Richmond, VA.....and I am pretty sure its the State Academy they use for Troopers.

Here's the link: http://cvcja.org/

Once again, this might be dated becasue I haven't jacked with this in 5-6 years....

Good luck.
              Last edited by Bearcat357; 12-04-2012, 11:40 PM. Reason: Added correct link

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                A.Their web site: http://www.abc.state.va.us/enforce/enforce.htm

B. Looks like they are not currently hiring for basic agents. They are hiring for an Assistant SAC. I doubt they hire outside for that. They tend to only announce on the ABC web site....so you have to keep checking. I know they just had an opening about 3-4 months ago, so it will be awhile before it happens again I suspect.

C. ABC LEOs work out of their home, have their own rides, and set their own hours (as long as you get 40 per week). You go into the area offices 1-2 times a week to turn in paperwork and such. A lot of the older agents tend to work 9-5/M-F doing admin stuff.....while the younger ones tend to work with the locals at night in get into the mix of things.

D. ABC is kinda funky when it comes to training. If you aren't a VA Certified LEO, be ready to go thru some sort of academy to get certified. When I applied, I was a MO Certified Officer and they were going to make me go thru an 8-9 week academy in Richmond. Not sure what they are doing now.
                Bearcat is correct. If not VA certified you will go through short academy. Short compared to the state academy. If already VA Leo your golden, short stint with FTO learning paper work etc. I'm VSP and my academy roomie from years ago took ABC gig 2 years ago. Not a bad job.

Comment

Originally posted by FTRthnU View Post
                  Bearcat is correct. If not VA certified you will go through short academy. Short compared to the state academy.
                  I'm assuming its (as I posted) the VSP Academy in Richmond still..?

Comment

You will go through the Central Virginia Criminal Justice Academy if not DCJS Certified. You will also get a take home vehicle during the academy. If not at the beginning of the academy, there short after starting. If you are VA Certified you will do 4-6 weeks doing ABC specific training in Richmond. What area of the state are you applying for? If you do not mind me asking.

Comment

Thanks for the info. As stated, I kick myself in the *** at times for not finishing things up with them. Opted to go Fed and it sucked...

Though, it eventually turned out well for me....

Comment

I haven't decided on a location yet. Its between Richmond or Chesapeake. I was certified as a PI; but, I'm expecting to go thru the long course of training. So is there any physical training, and is it a live in academy like FLETC?

Comment

Since your not DCJS certed as LEO you'll head to Lynchburg for your academy. From what I hear they are putting y'all up in hotels during your stay, so technically it's "live in" but not... But it's not mind games and such during the night like VSP academy.

Comment

Just out of curiosity what do they start out making? From looking at the website, an ASAC makes just about 50k. And what's the max age to join. Looks like it could be a good retirement gig.

Comment

Originally posted by manstown View Post
                              Just out of curiosity what do they start out making? From looking at the website, an ASAC makes just about 50k. And what's the max age to join. Looks like it could be a good retirement gig.
                              --No max (OP looks like a retired/soon to retire ICE SA)
                              --You better hurry, your Chief might latch on to spot like that.... and yeah....he's talking about going that route.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6664 users online. 337 members and 6327 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X