300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detention Enforcement Officer, US Marshals

I have researched about this position and found some threads which are pretty old. Is there anyone who can provide current info on this position? Work, pay, transfers, etc. Also, how hard or how long one has to wait to be considered for an 1811 position? Thanks.

The work is what it sounds like. You work in the cellblock, managing prisoners. Now, with the caveat that every district is different, some do have their DEOs do out of office transports, and you are/can be armed on duty. However, DEOs are not authorized to carry firearms off duty unlike DUSMs.
    The pay grade range is Gs5-9 starting (usually) with progression to.....i don't know actually. Have to look at that. However, you do NOT earn LEAP as you would as a criminal investigator, so your salary will be limited.
    How long one has to wait to get an 1811 position? Somewhere between 2 years and forever. You are not automatically guaranteed, nor is it an automatic consideration. You have to apply to the announcements like everyone else, or sometimes there are in-house announcements only for DEOs and support staff. You have to take the job knowing you may never be a DUSM, i wouldn't count on anything.
    USMS Region 3
    Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
    Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
    Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
    BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
    Medical:2/15/10
    MedicalReview: 4/15/10
    FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
    Drug: 6/5/10
    Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
    Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
    Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
    Written: 12/27/10
    NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
    To:
    Medical:

Comment

Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
      The work is what it sounds like. You work in the cellblock, managing prisoners. Now, with the caveat that every district is different, some do have their DEOs do out of office transports, and you are/can be armed on duty. However, DEOs are not authorized to carry firearms off duty unlike DUSMs.
      The pay grade range is Gs5-9 starting (usually) with progression to.....i don't know actually. Have to look at that. However, you do NOT earn LEAP as you would as a criminal investigator, so your salary will be limited.
      How long one has to wait to get an 1811 position? Somewhere between 2 years and forever. You are not automatically guaranteed, nor is it an automatic consideration. You have to apply to the announcements like everyone else, or sometimes there are in-house announcements only for DEOs and support staff. You have to take the job knowing you may never be a DUSM, i wouldn't count on anything.
      The first part of your post is correct. However, DEOs are FLEOs and can carry off duty 24/7 per LEOSA.
      For DEOs the pay grade goes to GL-7/10. For Lead DEOs , GL-8/10 and GS-11 for supervisory DEOs.
      There is no LEAP but OT is available depending on the District. DUSM 082 positions are not guaranteed but you can get merit promoted to DUSM like myself after 1 year on the job. The last merit promotion for DEOs was Oct, 2010 and the next one won’t happen for at least 18 months.

Comment

I don't comment ever on carry capabilities of anyone on a public board, deo can be a good job or a dead end dependant on the district you work in.
        Abraham Lincoln:Nowhere in the world is presented a government of so much liberty and equality. To the humblest and poorest amongst us are held out the highest privileges and positions. The present moment finds me at the White House, yet there is as good a chance for your children as there was for my father's.
        --August 31, 1864 Speech to 148th Ohio Regiment

Comment

Are they hiring? What's the website?

Comment

Originally posted by MPDCjock View Post
            No, there was a CA announcement up but it's gone now. The website is USAJOBS, set up auto announcements if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by MPDCjock View Post
              https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/331602300

Comment

That is weird. I just searched "Detention Enforcement Officer" today on USAJOBS and could not find it.

Comment

Originally posted by semper03 View Post
                  That is weird. I just searched "Detention Enforcement Officer" today on USAJOBS and could not find it.
                  Since it's current employees and VEOA eligible only, you have to search under "current federal employee" not "all us citizens".
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I applied last week.. Now its the sit back and wait game.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFox2 View Post
                      The first part of your post is correct. However, DEOs are FLEOs and can carry off duty 24/7 per LEOSA.
                      For DEOs the pay grade goes to GL-7/10. For Lead DEOs , GL-8/10 and GS-11 for supervisory DEOs.
                      There is no LEAP but OT is available depending on the District. DUSM 082 positions are not guaranteed but you can get merit promoted to DUSM like myself after 1 year on the job. The last merit promotion for DEOs was Oct, 2010 and the next one won’t happen for at least 18 months.
                      Im aware that they can carry firearms based on federal law, but per USMS policy that supersedes that:
                      "USMS employees of the GS-1802 series (Detention/Aviation Enforcement Officers) are not authorized to carry USMS issued firearms or less lethal devices off duty."

USMS policy 2.3 Firearms, pg 3, subsection (b).

then under (4) it states
                      4) These employees are considered law enforcement officers for the purposes of the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004 and may choose to carry personally owned firearms off duty if all other provisions of the Act are met. The carrying of firearms under the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act is in a personal capacity and not under the authority of the USMS and does not confer law enforcement authority on the employee.

So, if you carry, you are carrying as a private citizen , no different than any other joe on the street.
                      Last edited by jtl323; 11-29-2012, 08:27 AM.
                      USMS Region 3

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
                      To:
                      Medical:

Comment

Same policy as BOP pretty much, "Carry at your own risk" but isn't that what it is anyways. Who cares it is a job that pays over 45k M-F weekends Holidays off.

Comment

Im aware that they can carry firearms based on federal law, but per USMS policy that supersedes that:
                          "USMS employees of the GS-1802 series (Detention/Aviation Enforcement Officers) are not authorized to carry USMS issued firearms or less lethal devices off duty."

USMS policy 2.3 Firearms, pg 3, subsection (b).

then under (4) it states
                          4) These employees are considered law enforcement officers for the purposes of the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004 and may choose to carry personally owned firearms off duty if all other provisions of the Act are met. The carrying of firearms under the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act is in a personal capacity and not under the authority of the USMS and does not confer law enforcement authority on the employee.

So, if you carry, you are carrying as a private citizen , no different than any other joe on the street.
                          That will depend on the District that you work. In my District we were authorized to carry issued USMS firearms and personal owned firearms off duty nationwide with your credentials. You just had to qualify with your issued and personal and have that information on your 333. This was authorized by the District Marshal.

Comment

Well you know what they say, 94 districts...........
                            USMS Region 3

To:
                            Medical:

Comment

Well you know what they say, 94 districts...........
                              Even Districts within the same state have different SOPs.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9239 users online. 389 members and 8850 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X