300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssa-oig

Good morning. As some of you know, I have been pursuing various forms of LE positions over the last few years. Nothing great had come through yet so I decided to stick with the legal profession for the time being. I recently joined the SSA as an attorney working in one of their hearing centers that handles disability appeals hearings. I still have an interest in Fed LE work and understand that the SSA has 1811s who work for the OIG. Is this a gig that someone with legal experience in the SSA might have a shot at with some time under their belt (ie; down the road) or would I really need to go work at another Federal agency like the Secret Service or FBI and then try to come back to SSA later?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Congrats! Just getting your foot in the door is big hurdle. What office did you get? Honestly if I were you i'd try to talk to them at work. I know one guy with SSA-OIG. He went FAM (1811), DOL-OIG, then SSA-OIG. Like most OIG jobs he said it long cases but you see them through start to finish.

Comment

Thanks I am working in the STL National Hearing Center. Basically I review cases pre-hearing and then draft decisions post-hearing so I am getting alot of experience in reviewing large case files and the various theories under which people seek benefits. I may try to ask around once I have settled in some more. The impression I have got from general browsing is that SSA-OIG tends to be moreso a place established 1811s come to later in their career as opposed to new recruits with no prior 1811 service.

Comment

Originally posted by Kgov02 View Post
        Congrats! Just getting your foot in the door is big hurdle. What office did you get? Honestly if I were you i'd try to talk to them at work. I know one guy with SSA-OIG. He went FAM (1811), DOL-OIG, then SSA-OIG. Like most OIG jobs he said it long cases but you see them through start to finish.
        What's FAM 1811? Never heard of that one. Are you talking about Air Marshals? If so, there aren't any 1811 FAMs.

Comment

Originally posted by 85rx-7gsl-se View Post
          Good morning. As some of you know, I have been pursuing various forms of LE positions over the last few years. Nothing great had come through yet so I decided to stick with the legal profession for the time being. I recently joined the SSA as an attorney working in one of their hearing centers that handles disability appeals hearings. I still have an interest in Fed LE work and understand that the SSA has 1811s who work for the OIG. Is this a gig that someone with legal experience in the SSA might have a shot at with some time under their belt (ie; down the road) or would I really need to go work at another Federal agency like the Secret Service or FBI and then try to come back to SSA later?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

You legal background will certainly bode well when seeking an IG position, though it will be up to each individual shop and their particular focus as to how it will play into competitiveness. While some IG shops are audit heavy, others look for folks who have a solid LE/criminal investigations. It all depends on the office.
          Originally posted by SSD
          It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
          Originally posted by Iowa #1603
          And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Thanks for the insight Sgt Jon.

Comment

SSA-OIG is a great gig, if you can get in. I work with one in my area who has some great cases. The only down side is you do get stuck with the waste and abuse from within the agency. But no way to avoid those if you are in an IG's office.

Comment

My understanding that in the 90's Federal Air Marshals were 1811's...

Comment

I never heard that.....even as a FAM. I know the reason they won't do it now is because they don't want to send their people through CITP and have them turn around and jump ship. Which I'm sure many would. Plus they don't really investigate anything. They have an investigations division. But anything that looks remotely worth while, gets pushed on to FBI JTTF. FBI is the main arm in terrorist investigations and they wouldn't dare let another agency take that over.

Comment

Fraud, waste and abuse may seem mundane to some, but for anyone who appreciates that this is where more problems and money flows from, and who wants to stem the tide; this is the best game in town.

While a good number of cases come from the regular audits conducted, quite a few are hotline calls to the IG and which have netted major recoveries and mitigated some major, major, major issues.

My advice for anyone interested in this line of work is to visit the IG page of any one of the countless federal agencies and have a read of their statistics, case summaries and releases.
                    Originally posted by SSD
                    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

See that sounds like something that would appeal to me. I hate to see the system abused and in my current position, as well as my last position, a key aspect was ensuring only qualified individuals received funds out of the public trust.

Comment

I am an 1811 with an OIG and I know of a couple of attorneys we have had come over to the 1811 side. Actually, they are outstanding agents and run great cases. Some of our investigations are fraud waste and abuse but there are a ton of other cases we run. I think having former attorneys on your team is great - they are an asset when when it comes to ensuring you've got everything you need to walk into an AUSAs office and sell your case. I say go for it! We could always use another good agent!

Comment

Sounds good. I am still fresh to the SSA so my plans are to keep an eye out for vacancy announcements and in the meantime get time under my belt as an attorney.

Comment

My bro is SSA attorney in PA, loves the job but not sure how much that role prepares for a SA type of gig...he has it is a super easy job

As you know, ton of former USSS SA at SSAOIG...most of the guys I know really like it.

Good luck

Originally posted by 85rx-7gsl-se View Post
                            Sounds good. I am still fresh to the SSA so my plans are to keep an eye out for vacancy announcements and in the meantime get time under my belt as an attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by UD4LIFE View Post
                              My bro is SSA attorney in PA, loves the job but not sure how much that role prepares for a SA type of gig...he has it is a super easy job

As you know, ton of former USSS SA at SSAOIG...most of the guys I know really like it.

Good luck

Yeah it is a good job. That is kind of why I asked is because I am unsure what kind of attorney experience SSA-OIG would be looking for. With the FBI, they seem to pretty much just want a few years of whatever kind you can get.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10766 users online. 434 members and 10332 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X