Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeff_west View Post
    Statebear,

Great post! Totally agree with what your saying. Admitting you made a mistake and helping yourself and others whoever are in the same page in the future is what it is all about. I'll be the first to admit am not perfect and have learned from this and have truly come out a better person for it. I think my lucky stars that it was not worse because we have all been there. I was in your shoes before and have handed plenty of these out to others.

The whole chip on the shoulder comment I made came from personal experience of guys I used to work with on the force. I knew several who actively had bets going how which agency and how many Feds they would arrest in any given quarter. It's sad but unfortunately I do know of that happening all over and have seen it will by own eyes.

Not saying you or Reils do it or even know of it, but I know it happens.

And Reils to answer your question it was .05. We all know what the legal limit is but in many states officers discretion trumps that! I know because I have successfully prosecuted people in the past that blew well below the legal limit. With laws, MADD, and other groups its very hard for a judge to turn his head a type of under the influence charge these days.

Thanks for your comments regardless if it was constructive or not.

Well said Jeff,

I know as an FLEO I am not perfect and none of us claim to be. Yes we all break the law in some form or fashion, be it speeding, talking on the phone in the car or a whole number of other infractions.

As others have said this does happen across the board everyday on the local, state and federal level.

Only issues I could see going against you is if you are under some type of performance improvement plan, probation or you lose your license. Hell I have seen and heard of many feds who lost their license and had desk duty until they could drive again.

I hear FLEOA is the best when it comes to this kind of things. Trust their guidance! AND DONT COME BACK HERE AGAIN ASKING FOR OUR HELP! Once is a mistake twice is a disgrace! Learn from this and prosper!

Comment

Statebear,

Great post! Totally agree with what your saying. Admitting you made a mistake and helping yourself and others whoever are in the same page in the future is what it is all about. I'll be the first to admit am not perfect and have learned from this and have truly come out a better person for it. I think my lucky stars that it was not worse because we have all been there. I was in your shoes before and have handed plenty of these out to others.

The whole chip on the shoulder comment I made came from personal experience of guys I used to work with on the force. I knew several who actively had bets going how which agency and how many Feds they would arrest in any given quarter. It's sad but unfortunately I do know of that happening all over and have seen it will by own eyes.

And Reils to answer your question it was .05. We all know what the legal limit is but in many states officers discretion trumps that! I know because I have successfully prosecuted people in the past that blew well below the legal limit. With laws, MADD, and other groups its very hard for a judge to turn his head a type of under the influence charge these days.

If you brought back an .05 around here, you'd probably be in the Sergeant's office. You would also have your balls busted mercilessly by the guys on your shift. Unless you're under the combined influence of drugs/alcohol, or you are a super lightweight, it's my experience that most adult males don't even show signs of impairment at that level. That's not to say there isn't a time & place to arrest a low DWI, for example people who are intolerant of alcohol, but 99% of the time that's not the case. I'd be very curious to know what SFST training an officer making this type of arrest received. I would also like to know what observations the officer made during his DWI investigation. If I was you, I would hire a damn good DWI defense attorney.

As far as cops gunning for FLEO's, if that's the case it's pretty sad. My problem with certain 1811's stem from a series of unrelated events in which I had issues. I don't expect to hear "I'm a federal agent and I know your boss!" from a guy doing over double the speed limit through a downtown business district, off duty Or assisting members of a certain secret squirrel type service, who were unable to locate a suspects address, and yet they seemed "too cool" to shake hands and talk like human beings Or one of J. Edgar's G-men, who almost mowed me down during a traffic stop, and then asked me "is there a problem?" in a tone which seemed like the gov plates authorize such driving behavior I know every job has them, but....

Jeff, if you blew an .05, and that's it, I feel bad for you. Honestly, you got screwed. And that's coming from a DWI guy.

And just out of curiosity, what state did this occur in?
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Statebear,

Yikes, you must have worked at a jacked up place for guys to be "notching" Feds or any LEOs for that matter! With so many knuckleheads in society running around, you would think they would have had plenty of Joes to jack with....Way too many other fish in the sea doing all manner of outlandish crap out here for me to be collecting 1811 notches.

As far as your .05, I’m dumbfounded on that....the only time that collar gets made is if there is suspicion of drug intoxication as well. Not trying to get in your business, but I have never worked in a jurisdiction that collars .05s on a routine DWI traffic stops. Never saw it in the military, in the city I worked in or where I work now and I have worked in three different States, have been permanently assigned to six different counties and worked in several other counties here and there as a Trooper. Not only that, but like Reils said, I would never hear the end of it from my co-workers, not to mention the fact that the boss and the prosecutor would be asking a lot of questions if was hooking .05s without any other extenuating circumstances. I’m guessing there may be more too this then what you’re saying, which honestly I don’t care to know. I just hope things work out for you in the end.

Live and learn brother.

Comment

Wow Jeff,

I heave heard of it happening but never seen it for myself. Unfortunately many of the guys we work with in the Feds do give us a bad name treating everyone else as if they are the more superior. We all wear a shiny badge and need to learn to work together. It sounds like your a mature individual and you will definitely grow from this experience.

Comment

Originally posted by jb2257
            next time you have somebody give you attitude like that, ask them what the penalty is for unauthorized use of a government vehicle and whether or not they'd like to have that discussion with their supervisor (depending on the agency, minimum 28 days unpaid, maximum termination, all for the first offense).

I'm in the federal government (hopefully that will be changing in the next 60 days), and even I have my mind blown by the level of arrogance by guys from certain agencies, although generally it's the same two agencies you mentioned.
            Yeah, that sounds like a pretty hefty fine to pay, but to be honest, I'm not looking to jam up another cop. I've used the "come to Jesus meeting" method, and it generally works well.

We're all in this together, and as long as we act the way we should, everyone wins.

Comment

I call BS on the .05
              For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

jeffIL,

I take it your the arresting officer? If not then you haven't got a clue. The guy came out and said it. Does it really matter if it was .05, .08 or a refusal. This dude is dealing with enough. The questioned first posed in this thread deals with FLEOA. This first part of that stands for Federal. So I do not even see why your even chiming in if your not in the Federal Government and do NOT know how we operate OR what FLEOA does.

Pick up any local paper that publicizes DWI arrest and you will see tons who get convicted blowing well below the legal limit!

Comment

Originally posted by dotcomerresurected View Post
                  The questioned first posed in this thread deals with FLEOA. This first part of that stands for Federal. So I do not even see why your even chiming in if your not in the Federal Government and do NOT know how we operate OR what FLEOA does.
                  Take it easy federale. This is still America, and we have a right to free speech. And besides, this was posted in the LE Jobs section, not federal, of a public website. As far as I'm concerned, that makes it fair game for all of us.

Comment

Originally posted by dotcomerresurected View Post
                    jeffIL,

I take it your the arresting officer? If not then you haven't got a clue. The guy came out and said it. Does it really matter if it was .05, .08 or a refusal. This dude is dealing with enough. The questioned first posed in this thread deals with FLEOA. This first part of that stands for Federal. So I do not even see why your even chiming in if your not in the Federal Government and do NOT know how we operate OR what FLEOA does.

Pick up any local paper that publicizes DWI arrest and you will see tons who get convicted blowing well below the legal limit!
                    Ya, it does matter. It calls into question everything else he said. If you don't see that, you have issues.
                    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

Comment

The beauty of the internet is that can chime in wherever I feel like it, so suck it.

Comment

Yes sir in fact it was a .05!

Wow since my last post I have been doing a bunch of research. This same type of incident apparently happens across the federal government. Thanks to all the Feds who responded and provided guidance!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9865 users online. 471 members and 9394 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X