300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does FLEOA really help 1811's?

I have gotten into some off duty trouble and someone says to me call Fleoa and someone tells me they do not help to much. Any suggestions?

What do you mean like off duty misconduct? Is it the ever popular DWI, ha?

Comment

Unfortunately yes in my personal vehicle and i had a hunting rifle with me.

Some guy at my agency says the g has to be consistent with their discipline and he knows of like 7 that has even gotten them in their g rides and only got 10 days on the beach. I was just curious if stuff like this is Fleoas specialty?

Comment

Never had to use FLEOA so I could not tell you. Maybe someone on here will chime in a say what they know or if they work with or know of anyone that has gotten a 1st time DWI in their agency and see what punishment they got. I know if your on probation it could end up bad. Competitive or Excepted service matters a lot too.

Comment

Um.....I've heard good things about fleoa. Never had to use them and hope to keep it that way(knock on wood). And for what it's worth, misuse of a g ride is 30 days on the beach. Statutory requirement and no questions asked. So I'd take your source that told you the 10 day thing with a grain of salt. Good luck.

Comment

Do they hand out discipline equally? Like not do anything for one guy for the same offense and yet try to get rid of the next person?

Comment

I tried to use FLEOA once. It was for a management-related issue. In a nutshell, it was management retaliation for filing a grievance.

They declined to help me. Worse than that, they didn't even bother to tell me they wouldn't help me until it was too late. I know other people whom they similarly declined to go to bat for.

The common thread was all were dealing with non-typical issues which had nothing to do with the things FLEOA seems to always talk about: use-of-force, officer-involved shootings, etc. All were also somewhere besides the Northeast, where FLEOA is based.

Contrast that with people I know who were actually helped by FLEOA: all in the Northeast, all with the aforementioned use-of-force or more common, LE-related problems.

I'm never going to live in NY and I'd like "protection" from the more common things which might occur (like overzealous supervisors) - in addition to helping me if I shoot someone I shouldn't have. I had been a member for 11 years, but I quit after that and got a good professional liability insurance policy and some advice from an attorney. YMMV.

As far as applying discipline equally; in my experience, many agencies do not. An agency is supposed to follow the Douglas Factors, which are essentially a go-by for a deciding official to use when determining which punishment is appropriate. I.e. does the person have a good employee record? Have they been in trouble before? etc.

Those can be flat-out ignored if the agency doesn't like a person and followed when they do. As far as I know (and maybe someone else knows), there is no requirement that they be used. I do know from experience that there's no recourse if they're not used. Short of a MSPB claim, that is. And even then, you can only file a claim if you got a suspension of more than 2 weeks, anyway.

My advice would be to chat with an attorney and make sure the agency knows you've done so. It might make them think twice about not giving you the fair shake you deserve.
              "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

Thats very interesting GreenLine. Unfortunately, my professional liability will not help me. I called and they told me it was not in the performance of duty so no help there. FLEOA is kind of my last chance. I wanted to get others advice on their performance for misconduct i.e. DWI's, Arrest, anything off duty. Not sure what they can or will do for those kind of matters.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff_west View Post

Some guy at my agency says the g has to be consistent with their discipline and he knows of like 7 that has even gotten them in their g rides and only got 10 days on the beach. I was just curious if stuff like this is Fleoas specialty?
                  You are an 1811? Your grammar is atrocious.

Comment

Originally posted by Cman21 View Post
                    You are an 1811? Your grammar is atrocious.
                    Lol. Here we go...

Comment

Usually one needs to be a dues paying member of an organization prior to the event in question to get some sort of assistance in the matter. But at this point you have got nothing to lose by asking. When I hear of situations like yours I thank my lucky stars I'm a union member.

Comment

So what?!

You're not going to like what I have to say; but I don't frankly care.

You're a L.E.O.....SOO, so many people have been killed by D.U.I's like YOU who should have died themself behind the wheel......but lived, all because of the liquor in your body that made you relax at the right moment. THOUSANDS have been killed by people like you.

Is my closet clean? Are my skeletons pure white? Hell, no.....
                        But I HAVE NOT driven drunk, and put people's lives in danger like you did. My own father did it twice, and had no mercy shown on him, either..... So why the hell should you?!

So I will say what needs to be said: You're not fit to be a LEO. You're not fit to wear that badge; to take others' freedom away when you're nothing but a drunk driver. It is what it is by your own admission. So run and hide behind the FLEO or FOP or AFGE.......it doesn't matter. You're a drunk driver, and not fit to wear that badge. That's all. Admit what you are and give your badge to someone who never drove drunk. Do that, and that's about the most honorable thing you could do now if there is one shred of decency left in you.......
                        Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

Originally posted by QuietPro View Post
                          You're not going to like what I have to say; but I don't frankly care.

You're a L.E.O.....SOO, so many people have been killed by D.U.I's like YOU who should have died themself behind the wheel......but lived, all because of the liquor in your body that made you relax at the right moment. THOUSANDS have been killed by people like you.

Is my closet clean? Are my skeletons pure white? Hell, no.....
                          But I HAVE NOT driven drunk, and put people's lives in danger like you did. My own father did it twice, and had no mercy shown on him, either..... So why the hell should you?!

So I will say what needs to be said: You're not fit to be a LEO. You're not fit to wear that badge; to take others' freedom away when you're nothing but a drunk driver. It is what it is by your own admission. So run and hide behind the FLEO or FOP or AFGE.......it doesn't matter. You're a drunk driver, and not fit to wear that badge. That's all. Admit what you are and give your badge to someone who never drove drunk. Do that, and that's about the most honorable thing you could do now if there is one shred of decency left in you.......

Ha, figured I would get a response like yours. Glad to meet you as I have never met another human being that was perfect. Unlike yourself, I am not perfect. LEO's are human and make mistakes. I own up to them. My crime is not a crime of intent or dishonesty. I have never met too many people who can honestly say they have never had one sip of alcohol and gotten behind a wheel. One sip is all it takes for a cop with a chip on his shoulder to get a chance to get a pat on his back to detain a Fed.

So basically your saying anyone who has a completely clean background should resign immediately for making one mistake. A mistake with no other aggravating factors.

Since my original post I have spoken to counsel and he specifically said I will get some uninformed, stupid answers from people stating things like to "resign". Well you win that prize. Thanks for not even coming close to answering the original post.
                          Last edited by jeff_west; 09-23-2012, 01:16 AM.

Comment

The guy gets a DWI and you are ready to put him right up with Hitler. Lighten up francis. The NHTS and quite a few medical studies have shown that driving while on a cell phone or texting is almost as bad as driving .08. Anyone who has ever driven on a southern california highway knows very well how bad people drive while yapping away on the phone. You ever talk on the phone while driving? I bet you have. If so apply your logic on the guy in the mirror and turn in your badge. A bit extreme isn't it? I'm in no way saying the guy did not seriously screw up and should suffer for his behavior but save the moral outrage for those who do real damage. And be sure to stay off your phone in the number one, two, three, four and five lanes.
                            Last edited by SHU; 09-24-2012, 04:49 PM.

Comment

My crime is not a crime of intent or dishonesty. I have never met too many people who can honestly say they have never had one sip of alcohol and gotten behind a wheel. One sip is all it takes for a cop with a chip on his shoulder to get a chance to get a pat on his back to detain a Fed.
                              Come on now. All you had was a sip? I think you had a bit more than that to get hooked up.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9907 users online. 470 members and 9437 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X