Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Is the poly a pass/fail or is it used as an employment consideration? Spending a few thousand dollars to process (NY) would really hurt, especially if it comes down to a coin toss.

Comment

The polygraph interview and examination are a critical portion of the hiring process that is evaluated as deception detected or not detected based on the scope of that individual examination. Ultimately the residents of the State of Alaska demand that our Troopers be the most honest/trustworthy individuals placed in this position of authority. In short, no portion of the hiring process is a coin toss. The applicant is either an honest/trustworthy individual or not.
      Originally posted by semper03 View Post
      Question: Is the poly a pass/fail or is it used as an employment consideration? Spending a few thousand dollars to process (NY) would really hurt, especially if it comes down to a coin toss.

Comment

That does not really answer my question, but thanks for the response. I'm going to assume it's a standard pass/fail. Good luck on your recruitment.

Comment

Congratulations to all the successful applicants that have been selected to continue with the hiring process in Anchorage, AK in January 2013. As a reminder, although the minimum physical fitness requirements are posted as they are, applicants should be prepared to exceed these minimums in order to stand out among others in this competitive hiring process.

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop
            Do they hire us old guys to teach new recruits how to complain about everything?
            Do you really think they're gonna two old hairbags from NYC? Fuhgetabowdit!
            They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Originally posted by ASTRecruiter View Post
              There is currently no maximum age limit. Minimum age is 21 years old. All applicants must meet the physical fitness requirements to perform the duties of an Alaska State Trooper.
              My physical abilities are limited to 12 ounce curls.

But what the heck, a year from now I'll have creds that say "retired" and a drawer full of Early Bird menus.

Comment

For those applicants that have not been contacted by the Recruitment Staff in reference to the Spring 2013 hiring process, you should expect to receive written notice of your status sometime near the end of January 2013. Please ensure the Recruitment Staff has your most updated contact information by calling toll free 1-877-AKTROOP (258-7667).

Comment

Ha...pretty sure you were also USSS at one point, you earned the right to 12oz curls after that place

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                  My physical abilities are limited to 12 ounce curls.

But what the heck, a year from now I'll have creds that say "retired" and a drawer full of Early Bird menus.

Comment

Originally posted by UD4LIFE View Post
                    Ha...pretty sure you were also USSS at one point, you earned the right to 12oz curls after that place
                    I guess I paid my dues.

Comment

Federal Agent Lateral

Sir,

I have a question or two about the lateral program the AST offer. I am a Border Patrol Agent with 4 years of service on the Southwest border. I notice that in the description for the lateral program it mentions FBI,DEA,ATF ext. Now my question is are those Federal agencies the only ones you will accept in the lateral? Or will you accept a Border Patrol Agent? I also have one more question. With the lateral program would I need to travel to AK for any type of testing or anything like what the recruits have too?
                      Border Patrol Agent:
                      Pre Employment Forms- completed 6/24/2008
                      Qualifications- completed4/2/2009
                      Medical Exam- completed 8/15/2008
                      Structured Interview- completed 8/6/2008
                      Drug Screening- Completed 4/9/2009
                      Background Investigation- completed 3/31/2009
                      Fitness- completed 8/15/2008
                      TSU-4/21/2009

Comment

Our version of POST is called Alaska Police Standards Council (APSC), under the direction of Kelly Alzaharna, the Executive Director. APSC determines which academies meet the Alaska standards for certification. She can be contacted at 907-465-5523.
                        Last edited by ASTRecruiter; 03-04-2013, 07:54 PM. Reason: update

Comment

hello, I am leaving the military and am originally from Alaska and would like to become an Alaskan state trooper. anyone have any advice for me? I also have no police nor military police experience but I did work with them on gate guard duty if that counts for anything..

Comment

Originally posted by ASTRecruiter View Post
                            The polygraph interview and examination are a critical portion of the hiring process that is evaluated as deception detected or not detected based on the scope of that individual examination. Ultimately the residents of the State of Alaska demand that our Troopers be the most honest/trustworthy individuals placed in this position of authority. In short, no portion of the hiring process is a coin toss. The applicant is either an honest/trustworthy individual or not.
                            This doesn't really answer the question. It was a legitimate question, as the polygraph has been known to be inaccurate and sometimes fail someone who was otherwise answering questions honestly. A good background investigator doesn't use the polygraph as a 'make or break' for a candidate, instead they examine the totality of the circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post

This doesn't really answer the question. It was a legitimate question, as the polygraph has been known to be inaccurate and sometimes fail someone who was otherwise answering questions honestly. A good background investigator doesn't use the polygraph as a 'make or break' for a candidate, instead they examine the totality of the circumstances.
                              Correct. Border Patrol is terribly shorthanded due to our inability to recruit. 60% fail rate on polygraph for us. I have had five friends fail, four of whom were current cops or exiting the military after honorable service holding secret or better clearances. Polys are jokes, and that is a fact, not an opinion backed by the fact they are inadmissible in court.

That being said, would be a sweet job. Can't imagine traveling THAT far (a lot different than flying to DC for example) to fail a poly and know in your heart you are an honest person who told no lies on the poly exam.
                              UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                              "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

"in honor there is hope" is the most OG motto ever though, love it. if the job is even remotely like the show, it would be a dream job. Good luck to those that apply.
                                UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                                "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11694 users online. 471 members and 11223 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X