Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would getting a Pistol Permit help, hinder, or make no difference in getting hired?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would getting a Pistol Permit help, hinder, or make no difference in getting hired?

I was wondering If getting a pistol permit would help, hinder, or make no difference to the people who do the hiring for the departments. Where im from is one of the most difficult areas to get one, you have to pass a gun course, have multiple people sign a paper that says you are of good character, get your fingerprints done and pass a background check done by an officer. this whole process take around 6 months minimum and up to a year. Now I know that background check they do is NOT as intensive as the background check that is done when you are actually being hired, BUT I was thinking maybe it would make me look a little more likely to pass the background check they do if they already know that I passed a slightly less stringent one previously and clearly I have not gotten in trouble since, since I would still be in possession of the permit, so I would be a little less likely to waste the time they would have to take to do their own background check. also that I would already know how to handle a gun somewhat and have had a little training might be a pro?
    Or would it really make no difference to them? or even possibly be seen as a negative thing and if so why?
    Your thoughts on this?

The agency considering you for employment will still have to do a complete background check (including fingerprints), and if you get hired on, they will still have to train you to their standards on firearms, so it's not going to help you.
    I don't know any reason that it would hurt you though.

Extraordinarily Ordinary & Remarkably Unremarkable!

"I bet you have an "Operator" patch on your gear"--CCCSD
    "Everyone has a purpose in life. Some people's purpose is to be the example of what NOT to do..."--tanksoldier

Comment

Well I understand that they have to do their own background check anyways, I was just basically wondering if they would take you any more seriously knowing you already had a background check done and passed it, and have not done anything bad since you passed it (since you would lose the permit if you had) or would they care about your pistol permit about as much as they care about what your favorite food is? lol

Comment

The type of background done to get a permit is vastly different than what you'd get in the hiring process. In Washington, for instance, we're a "Shall Issue" state. So they check and make sure you're not a felon, and if you're not, within 90 days or whatever it is they have to give you your permit. But there certainly are plenty of other things non-felony related that will keep you from getting hired.

Comment

It doesn't help or hinder. If you get a permit, it's because you wanted one, and at least the agency I work for wouldn't care. I also know plenty firearms instructors who prefer trainees with no prior experience with shooting.

With that said, if you are not an officer, it's deceiving for your name to be, "Officer JJ".

Comment

Originally posted by Gringe View Post
            I also know plenty firearms instructors who prefer trainees with no prior experience with shooting.
            I happen to be on of them. It is much easier to start from scratch than to break someone's bad habits.
            Originally posted by fun. View Post
            The type of background done to get a permit is vastly different than what you'd get in the hiring process. In Washington, for instance, we're a "Shall Issue" state. So they check and make sure you're not a felon, and if you're not, within 90 days or whatever it is they have to give you your permit. But there certainly are plenty of other things non-felony related that will keep you from getting hired.
            Exactly!! The permit thing is not an all-inclusive check. When the hiring agency does a background, they start with NCIC (via fingerprint card) and DMV driver's abstract. The detectives then go to all your previous employers, ex-wives, ex-girlfriends, neighbors, former neighbors and any place you ever went to school.

Last edited by slamdunc; 06-16-2012, 11:27 AM.

"Everyone has a purpose in life. Some people's purpose is to be the example of what NOT to do..."--tanksoldier

Comment

I worked security and they called us security officers, so thats the reason for the name, I didnt think it would really matter anyways. Im in Southern NY just outside the city, so it a bit more intensive then just a simple check to see if your not a felon, as I said its common to take almost a year. But I suppose based on your answers they really wont care either way. As far as the firearms training goes, I already have experience with firearms so its too late for that, but I know they only say that because they would rather you have no experience then a bad habit with the gun, but im sure the experience I had would only help me as far as thats concerned and I have no problem changing something according to the instructors instructions lol if he tells me to. anyways, thanks for the answers guys.
              As a follow up question, is there anything I could do or get that might make me stand out from the crowd? (other then military experience, college degrees, EMS, fireman, or aux police)

Comment

Stay out of trouble and whatever you are doing now be the best at it. Whether it's the best security officer, retail cashier, or student. Your fellow employees and your managers will soon be references based on your character and work ethic during a background investigation. I know you already listed it, but taking college classes towards your degree and completing it is big now a days. I know several cops having a hard time getting hired by other agencies due to lack of a college degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer JJ View Post
                  As a follow up question, is there anything I could do or get that might make me stand out from the crowd? (other then military experience, college degrees, EMS, fireman, or aux police)
                  Originally posted by Gringe View Post
                  Stay out of trouble and whatever you are doing now be the best at it. Whether it's the best security officer, retail cashier, or student. Your fellow employees and your managers will soon be references based on your character and work ethic during a background investigation.
                  What he said. The college, military and emt/paramedic things wouldn't hurt, but a lot of other candidates will have them as well. The only other thing that will set you apart is how you interview, if you get that far in the process. Your first impression--physical appearance, posture, attire, eye-contact, and demeanor. Also, do realllllly in-depth research on the agency for which you are applying. Be able to ask and answer questions specific to that locale.

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
                    Also, do realllllly in-depth research on the agency for which you are applying. Be able to ask and answer questions specific to that locale.
                    I got canvassed by an agency very near to me, and another one at the other end of my county. I already googled them, nothing really came up other then their police blotter and their website, which I looked at but didnt provide too much information, any other good places to find info on specific depts?

Also, Im currently in college, This coming year will be my last and then Ill get my bachelors. I know that the next academy class is going to be in January (both depts use this academy) so assuming all goes well and they want to hire me, Im guessing they will want me to go in Jan, at that point I will have finished the fall semester and be only 1 semester away from graduating. If they did want me, is this something they would allow me to finish and then go to the academy in august (thats the next class after Jan) or would I be expected to just put school off for awhile until I can get it done on my own time?
                    Also, that last semester MIGHT only be 1 night class, is it possible to go to school AND the academy at the same time? or is there homework and things of that nature that would take up too much of my time? (the academy is close by my home, and my friend told me you get out at 4 pm, you only go for the day, you dont sleep there or anything)

Comment

As far as the agency wanting you before or after you finish your program, that will depend on the needs of the department and whether or not they require a bachelor's. Many agencies have tuition reimbursement or waivers available to continue your studies (if the degree is related to your career).
                      As for the academy allowing you to finish your night courses, check with your class leader to see if that is permitted. My academy work was only really intense for the first three weeks; if they hadn't weeded you out by then, they focused on making sure that you succeed. During that first three weeks, I barely had time to do anything. After that, I went out three nights a week and could have taken classes.

Last edited by slamdunc; 06-16-2012, 01:14 PM.

Comment

As long as there is no educational requirement saying you must have a bachelors take the first off into the academy from the first dept that wants you in NY, It isn't a guarantee that august academy would happen, You can finish your education later, unless you are getting an education in accounting, nursing or some other unique skill other candidates might not have a BA/BS in Criminal Justice isn't any more competitive of a candidate than the guy/gal with a BA in Basket weaving. Unless the department has a counterfeit basket weaving unit.

As far as attending school and academy, most departments want you wholly focused on them and learning to a Police Officer, school, Volly fireman, EMS and other extras are usually asked to be put aside until after you complete an Academy.
                        Last edited by CAnde; 06-16-2012, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CAnde View Post
                          A Unless the department has a counterfeit basket weaving unit.
                          haha you actually made me "laugh out loud" when I read that lol

So how would a bachelors in Law with a minor in psychology look? (not law school, just studying law at a 4 year school)

And there is no requirement for any dept in my county, but one of the depts is in a pretty affluent neighborhood, where, knowing the type of people who live there (this is the nearby dept), they might look upon the dept with more respect if all the officers did have degrees. I know the chief has his bachelors AND masters and his second in command has his bachelors

But if all did go well, and I didnt have a choice, either take the job or dont take it, I am planning on taking it and finishing school later on, shouldnt be too hard to do while working since it will only be 1 to 2 classes left

Comment

a "pistol" ???, "pistol"???? are we talking a derringer? flint lock musket?? hahahaha- love the 'term" pistol( whip out yer pistols , boyz and start a shootin' 'tils one a ya' is dead an gone !!!"

Heard such things a firearms permits, concealed carry licenses, etc, but I think I like the term "pistol permit" now. ( here in Ca. a concealed weapons permit is something almost mythic, as I've worked in LE here for almost 25 yrs and have only come across a handful actually issued- the thugs, and quite a few "normal" citizens carry unlawfully most of the time)

I think the basic answer is NO,NO,NO. Its just a license, like driving a car, or cutting hair- doubt if any PD really cares, unless you have a history( as in criminal ) of being careless with a firearm- in which case, you on't be recieving a police badge and "pistol" anyway- good luck, and be well prepared when you apply for an agency.....
                            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Illinois does not have conceal carry. Are FLEO's permitted to carry their personal firearm off duty with the proper identification? Anyone know?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6448 users online. 288 members and 6160 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X