Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Shoot Straight With Me

Here are the facts:

I turn 36 on Sunday. I have no degree. I have no certification. I have no practical experience. I have poor credit. I have no sense of smell. And on Thursday, I fully expect to be diagnosed with some form of depression.

Now, I don't personally think any of that would prevent me from becoming a great LEO, but I also know that it isn't my decision, or I'd already be one.

Given all that seemingly lined up against me, is it in any way realistic that I'll become a police officer any time soon?

Please be brutally honest. I just need to know if I'm wasting my time.

Thanks.

Nope.
    But on the brightside, you are more than half way to being a Congressman. So...

Comment

• The credit is a problem, especially at your age. Granted, there could have been some reason that might be justifiable, but I'm just going off of what you've given.
      • You do not necessarily need a degree, but most departments require at least 60 hours of college credits or prior LE experience (which you do not have).
      • The medical issues (smell/depression) will most likely be a show stopper.

Are you prior military at all? What do you mean you have no practical experience? Did you mean you have no applicable experience to law enforcement? Practical experience = jobs and life experience. I would hope at 36 you have that.

I gotta tell you, it's extremely unlikely for you. It's beyond competitive right now and you'll be going up against people with military experience, degrees, and without the credit/medical problems.

That being said, nothing is impossible. If you really want the job, you're not going to let a bunch of strangers on the internet tell you to give up.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinA76 View Post
        Here are the facts:

I turn 36 on Sunday. I have no degree. I have no certification. I have no practical experience. I have poor credit. I have no sense of smell. And on Thursday, I fully expect to be diagnosed with some form of depression.
        First off: Happy Birthday.

Second: Not having a degree (or a requisite number of credits) will certainly present a roadblock with some agencies. This is not to say that there are not agencies who will accept you without college/credits, just that you will be facing stiff competition.

Third: Without qualifying you
        ” Poor Credit”
        we have no way of telling you to what degree it may or may not pose a hurdle. In most cases a recent bankruptcy;,+5k in debt, multiple recent past-due accounts, repossessions, etc, etc, etc will pose a sure fire roadblock.

Fourth: The smell may well be a show stopper. Some states require this acuity per their standards.

Fifth: Until you know the extent of this DX and treatment plans there is no way to advise.

Originally posted by KevinA76 View Post
        Now, I don't personally think any of that would prevent me from becoming a great LEO, but I also know that it isn't my decision, or I'd already be one.

Given all that seemingly lined up against me, is it in any way realistic that I'll become a police officer any time soon?

Please be brutally honest. I just need to know if I'm wasting my time.
        Thanks.
        I would first address your health, then credit, then education shortfall and see what lies ahead.
        Originally posted by SSD
        It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
        Originally posted by Iowa #1603
        And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

No degree necessary. No certification either. No practical experience included...they'll teach you.

Poor credit might be a concern. No sense of smell........not really needed. Had a coworker ask me to help locate the dead body in the bushes...because she didn't have a working sniffer! In regards to your depression.......just diagnosed? Perhaps it is something temp caused by other factors.

There are numerous applicants trying to obtain few positions. My suggestion is to try...if that's what you want.....failure ALWAYS happens if you don't. What do you have to lose?
          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

For civil service positions, a big part of the process is going to depend on how well you test. For non-civil service, it is going to depend on how much they like you and/or how well you do in the interview.

Plenty of good schools that have an on-line component, so why don't you start working on some college credits?

Take a test or two and see how you do.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
              No degree necessary. No certification either. No practical experience included...they'll teach you.

Poor credit might be a concern. No sense of smell........not really needed. Had a coworker ask me to help locate the dead body in the bushes...because she didn't have a working sniffer! In regards to your depression.......just diagnosed? Perhaps it is something temp caused by other factors.

There are numerous applicants trying to obtain few positions. My suggestion is to try...if that's what you want.....failure ALWAYS happens if you don't. What do you have to lose?

Why don't you look into corrections. It is still LEO just not in a patrol setting. Do what ever you can to start restoring your credit!! As previously mentioned most agencies don't like dealing with individuals with bad credit but it is really on a care by case basis. Medical bills, Educational loans might not be looked at in a bad light. However, car loans, credit cards, etc will be scrutinized!! One more thing, do you think the depression is due to the fact that you have not been able to land an LEO job or is it something you have been dealing with for most of your life?

Comment

I had no degree or experience and was hired at 30...the bad credit could be a road block, but you won't know unless you try. If you want it bad enough, you will try.
                We don't "LOL" here. This isn't facebook or some text message between BFF's who are all OMG WTFJH and DYST? We type and speak as adults. Fix yourself.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

Here's the really brief summary:

Experience- I've been working in the retail assets protection field on and off for 12 years, so I know LE, and have worked with several officers who have been very complimentary of my work, investigation abilities, and knowledge.

Bad credit - wife and I lost several jobs, had some self-employment risks that didn't pan out, and our credit suffered. When we were getting paid regularly, the bills were getting paid off. Just a series of really bad luck. But, the credit score took a major, major beating.

Depression - this has been steadily getting worse and worse for about 8 years. Tragic deaths in the family, financial issues, illnesses, business and personal failures. It's all just weighed be down to the point where I'm going to see somebody about it Thursday. Never had a real suicidal thought, but have been ok with things just moving on without me.

I'm in the 2nd step with Nashville PD, and I've put a few more feelers out there. We'll see where all that goes. I guess if I'm going to spend the time and effort on finding a real career, I want to make sure I'm not spinning my wheels on something hopeless.

I really do appreciate you all taking the time to put in your two cents.

Comment

I say apply away! All they can say is no. I have seen many people in Law Enforcement and wondered how in the heck they ever got there. All I can say is be honest in every step of the way.

On the depression issue, I would not hound to much on that. At least your are addressing it head on. Everyone gets depressed about something, its everyday life!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike18Bravo View Post
                      Nope.
                      But on the brightside, you are more than half way to being a Congressman. So...
                      wow! anybody can be a Congressman or Congresswoman

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5049 users online. 227 members and 4822 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                      X