X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albert Wesker
    replied
    Originally posted by merlin436 View Post

I'm curious though...since you apparently didn't like my reply...how would you answer your question?
    I thought I answered it in my first post, I would take the BPA job over the CBPO job. For me it has to do with enjoyment of my job on a daily basis. Even when I first was hired, I was out in the field working and making arrests. The job of BPA is physical in nature, and I am a person who enjoys that much more than a job like CBPO which is not as physical in nature. It is much more similar to a police officer job, and since I am a former Deputy Sheriff, that is what I was wanting.

I consider my job one of the best in federal law enforcement, and I also have a lot of respect for CBP Officers, as I have worked with many who were detailed to my station to work the checkpoint. However I know that their job is just not for me. That is all I am asking those on this thread to do is make sure they know what they want out of their career. The two jobs are very different and each has it's ups and downs.

Leave a comment:

• Raymart
    replied
    Originally posted by rattlerno1 View Post
    Raymart, just wanted to say a late congrats on passing PFT2!!! See you all at FLETC!
    Thanks bro, its been a while since I have been here and I have to say that my first week on duty has been great...... see you there bro

I definitely agree with you Locke03, you stressed out very good points...

Congrats to all that have received the call recently

Leave a comment:

• Locke03
    replied
    Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
    Here is a question for those of you who applied for CBPO and BPA, but got the call for CBPO first. Do you really want the job of CBPO, or are you just taking it because they called first? I ask because a long time ago I had the option of going CBPO or BPA, and I chose BPA because the job itself fit more in line with what I wanted to do (proactive LE work). I see the issue now is that hiring for BPA has slowed down, but honestly I don't think I would enjoy the job very much.

A while back, we had a few CBPOs detailed out to our station working the checkpoint, and when it rained, they rode along with us while we worked. They were very surprised to see what kind of work we do, and how much freedom we had compared to them.

I like most people applied for both positions right around the same time and I would have gladly accepted either position but being honest I had my heart set on CBPO for a couple of reasons:

1. The ability to be stationed in more places (Seaport, Land crossing, and Airport).

2. I had a long conversation with a friend of mine who is a HSI Special agent and he told me if he had to choose between the two he would pick OFO. He outlined a few reasons including how OFO has really shaped up since new high level management has taken over, he also said many of the systems and procedures OFO uses will benefit me in the future if I decide to pursue a career as a HSI Special Agent.

I can only comment on what I have been told but it also seems to me that OFO is more academic intensive and that appeals a lot to me. I currently hold a B.S. in Computer Information Systems and will have a MBA with a focus in Technology Management in 6 months and I believe my skills will benefit me more as a CBPO than as a BPA, granted I have little LE experience and don’t yet fully understand what either position completely entails. As I understand OFO academy is much longer and this has to do with OFO focusing much more on the laws and how to enforce them as compared to the BPA academy and again this appeals to me.

I was in the Navy for 5 years and I believe from what I read about both organizations a good comparison would be CBPO = Navy and BPA = Marine, if that is an accurate representation then I know I made the right decision and will be much happier as a CBPO.

Hopefully I have given some insight into your question, anything else I can clarify please let me know I’d be happy to chat more on the subject especially since you are a BPA already (seems like you can give me a lot of info I don’t know about BPA).
    Last edited by Locke03; 04-03-2012, 12:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Locke03
    replied
    You asked a question and I gave you my best answer.

I'm not trying to #!$$ in your cornflakes. I'm also not one to willing drink the Koolaid...OFO's, OBP's, CBP's or anybody's. I'm just calling it as I see it.

As far as the brainy types go, I imagine you have access to Netsecure. Pull up the diversity reports and workforce profiles sometime. The average CBPO is older, has more work experienced, and is significantly more likely to possess a BA/BS or advanced degree in comparison to the average BPA. As I recall, the numbers are something like 34% to 26%. OFO also has something like 3.5Xs as many females and significantly more minorities...excluding Hispanics.

That's not me blowing smoke...that's the agency's own numbers.

I'm curious though...since you apparently didn't like my reply...how would you answer your question?
    You gave an honest straight forward answer IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Locke03
    replied
    I got the call (CBPO)

Got the call, timeline below

Leave a comment:

• rattlerno1
    replied
    Raymart, just wanted to say a late congrats on passing PFT2!!! See you all at FLETC!

Leave a comment:

• merlin436
    replied
    You asked a question and I gave you my best answer.

I'm not trying to #!$$ in your cornflakes. I'm also not one to willing drink the Koolaid...OFO's, OBP's, CBP's or anybody's. I'm just calling it as I see it.

As far as the brainy types go, I imagine you have access to Netsecure. Pull up the diversity reports and workforce profiles sometime. The average CBPO is older, has more work experienced, and is significantly more likely to possess a BA/BS or advanced degree in comparison to the average BPA. As I recall, the numbers are something like 34% to 26%. OFO also has something like 3.5Xs as many females and significantly more minorities...excluding Hispanics.

That's not me blowing smoke...that's the agency's own numbers.

Last edited by merlin436; 03-25-2012, 08:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Albert Wesker
    replied
    What do you mean by 'proactive LE work'?

If anything, I'd say OFO does far more proactive LE work than OBP. OFO is all about developing strategies, polices and procedures to manipulate situations before they develop, rather than a more reactive LE approach of responding to things after they happen. Far more so than OBP, in my opinion.
    Oddly enough, we do the exact same thing in OBP. You say that we are just reactive, but so are you. I stand by what I say. Until we get true investigative positions in our agencies, it will only be reactive, we just have good strategies for reacting.

Anyhow, as an answer to your question, I'd say the majority of people who I've known who have actively chosen a CBPO position over a BPA position have done so for one or more of the following reasons, and in no particular order...

1. They're older, previous LEOs who have had enough 'fun' and are more than willing to give it up and knock it back a few notches as a CBPO.

2. They're female and/or otherwise not that interested in the physical aspects of 'BPing'(bounding through desserts, hills and whatnot.)

3. They're the nerdy, brainy types who would much rather sit, think and work a keyboard as an LEO.

4. Location. Nearly 90% of PAs are on the Mexican border. OFO offers far more positions in places like major cities, interior locations and the northern border.
    So basically you described the people who want a badge and a gun and none of the other stuff that comes with it. Those of us who want more than that would probably not be very happy in OFO, and you know that. That is why I asked my question. I realized this years ago before I applied. I was a Deputy Sheriff in local LE, and the job sounded similar to security guard to me.

As for brainy types, I guarantee that I am not the only one here with an advanced degree here.

Leave a comment:

• merlin436
    replied
    Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
    Here is a question for those of you who applied for CBPO and BPA, but got the call for CBPO first. Do you really want the job of CBPO, or are you just taking it because they called first? I ask because a long time ago I had the option of going CBPO or BPA, and I chose BPA because the job itself fit more in line with what I wanted to do (proactive LE work). I see the issue now is that hiring for BPA has slowed down, but honestly I don't think I would enjoy the job very much.

A while back, we had a few CBPOs detailed out to our station working the checkpoint, and when it rained, they rode along with us while we worked. They were very surprised to see what kind of work we do, and how much freedom we had compared to them.

What do you mean by 'proactive LE work'?

If anything, I'd say OFO does far more proactive LE work than OBP. OFO is all about developing strategies, polices and procedures to manipulate situations before they develop, rather than a more reactive LE approach of responding to things after they happen. Far more so than OBP, in my opinion.

Anyhow, as an answer to your question, I'd say the majority of people who I've known who have actively chosen a CBPO position over a BPA position have done so for one or more of the following reasons, and in no particular order...

1. They're older, previous LEOs who have had enough 'fun' and are more than willing to give it up and knock it back a few notches as a CBPO.

2. They're female and/or otherwise not that interested in the physical aspects of 'BPing'(bounding through desserts, hills and whatnot.)

3. They're the nerdy, brainy types who would much rather sit, think and work a keyboard as an LEO.

4. Location. Nearly 90% of PAs are on the Mexican border. OFO offers far more positions in places like major cities, interior locations and the northern border.

Leave a comment:

• Albert Wesker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Raymart
    replied
    We passed the pft2 yesterday, it was cool, not bad...
    I am definitely looking forward to FLETC! Hopefully we get the same class, I will keep you posted once I receive the email.

Leave a comment:

• buis02
    replied
    Good luck on your PFT2 today Raymart & Mandarrin. You guys got this. I will look forward to seeing you guys at FLETC class 218?
    Originally posted by sandwichman View Post
    You're all a bunch of lucky f***s! :P FLETC in the summer months is going to suck and I hope I get the call before that. At the rate things are going, I'll be lucky if I get the call in October or November.
    Hahhaha sandwichman, no worries your time will come soon. Keep that head up

Leave a comment:

• sandwichman
    replied
    You're all a bunch of lucky f***s! :P FLETC in the summer months is going to suck and I hope I get the call before that. At the rate things are going, I'll be lucky if I get the call in October or November.

Leave a comment:

• Raymart
    replied
    Hey mandarrin I have my PFT2 in El Paso this Friday, see you there man....

It's go time!

Buis02 is correct on the pay, unless you are a current federal employee at a higher rate, then I think that special rates apply.
    I emailed HR this morning to find out the status on my pay, I should hear a response soon....

Leave a comment:

• buis02
    replied
    Originally posted by mandarrin View Post
    I guess I'll see raymart there. anyone know what the salary is at pre-fletc, and during fletc for a gs5? any info will be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.
    If I can recall on the OPM site gs-5 step 1 is like 32,199 or something around that area.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9703 users online. 318 members and 9385 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X