Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZT91 and Black Ops, congrats on making it this far...sounds like you guys are almost there! Been a long process. Hopefully not too much longer for you guys. And hopefully we'll be right behind you.
    Last edited by ainokea808; 10-04-2018, 11:48 PM. Reason: incomplete post

Comment

• blok2400
      blok2400 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey some of us May 16rs coukd still see an academy next year maybe this coming March ? Complete hopeful speculation based on no facts..

• I check the thread from time to time. It’s sort of a validation of my decision to bow out at this point. I hope you get academy dates but damn if this isn’t beyond ridiculous. I’m so glad I opted out, I just have other stressors to deal with, a fitness eval isn’t one of them.

Comment

• blok2400
      blok2400 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think what is frustrating is the lack of communication between the hiring unit and applicants. We truly don’t know if we make the hiring cut this year or do we wait another year. While everyone says to just “live your life”. It’s hard for me to go and buy a brand new house with even the mere possibility I’d have to move Six months from now. Two years and four months into the process I feel like I could get an offer soon or maybe not. So I sit and wait hoping for the best.

• rhody401
      rhody401 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea man I hear you but that's life in these government jobs. I was shipped to another unit without receiving any official word until the end of my training. Unfortunately, it appears to be a condition of governmental employment. However, I could be wrong.

• Celo182
      Celo182 commented
      Editing a comment
      What do you mean shipped to another unit? ATF sent you to a different office while in the academy?

• No not ATF-- my current agency.

Comment

• As of now I’m hearing 3 firm classes, with possibly 5. Not bad numbers, but not great either. Anyone at FLETC heard anything regarding ATF classes?

Comment

• colonel87
        colonel87 commented
        Editing a comment
        Contact with recruiting. Got this info today.

• Pat1686
        Pat1686 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good deal. I am fairly certain from talking to academy guys that this information is kept close hold up at HQ. I am assuming those numbers are for FY19?

• colonel87
        colonel87 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, the person said that was for FY19. Hopefully they end up holding more classes than that.

• Pat1686
        Pat1686 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh boy, yeah lets hope so.

• I got a question if anyone knows. I hear a lot from other people/forums that ATF is great compared to other 1811 agencies in terms of retaining their employees and how they operate and that the 2-3 year process is definitely worth the wait...I do not disagree with these statements as I have no basis to judge, but was just wondering why people say this? What makes it so great?

Comment

• colonel87
        colonel87 commented
        Editing a comment
        Work/life balance, variety of case work, scope of enforcement, and I mean you get to play with guns and explosives so who wouldn’t like that.

• Originally posted by ainokea808 View Post
      I got a question if anyone knows. I hear a lot from other people/forums that ATF is great compared to other 1811 agencies in terms of retaining their employees and how they operate and that the 2-3 year process is definitely worth the wait...I do not disagree with these statements as I have no basis to judge, but was just wondering why people say this? What makes it so great?
      Well, the answer to this is obviously very subjective. But here is my $.02.

1. We target violent felons who use firearms. It's what we do. You aren't going to join ATF and find yourself running down a white collar crime or chasing identity thieves. Not that there is anything wrong with those cases, I just think a larger majority of LEOs are more interested in violent crime. Yes, we have Arson and Explosives Groups, but it is very unlikely your are going to be assigned to one as a new agent, as ATF prefers you work firearms cases earlier in your career.

2. We are small. Yes, that can be a negative when you are talking about budgets and name recognition in the media or on the street, but we are a small tight knit group. You aren't going to get lost in the mix or left behind in your career. If you are a good worker and a good person, you will be given opportunities to do what you want. Want to be on SRT? K9 Handler? Firearms Instructor? Certified Fire Investigator? You will get your shot as long as you aren't a scrub.

3. We don't force moves....often. If you want to stay a street agent (GS-13) and never leave your field office, chances are, you won't have to. Most agents who don't want to be promoted to supervisor can spend their entire career in one field office.

4. We are small. Yes, I know I already said that. But to further my point, because we are small, we have less bureaucracy then a lot of other agencies. Our agents typically have a lot of room to maneuver and run our cases how we want to. Of course, there are supervisors out there that are more restrictive than others, but overall we get a lot of freedom. Been working a lot of drug cases, want to work a home invasion crew? No problem. Sick of home invasion crews now, want to work some armed robberies? Go for it.

5. We have a great reputation with a local law enforcement. Either that, or everyone is lying to me. I have heard about how great ATF is from so many local LEOs across the country, I can't keep track. I am not saying this to insult any other agency, but we take pride in our relationships with local agencies. We put forth a lot of effort to make sure we aren't the big bad feds trying to take their cases. We are happy to assist as much as we can and let cases go local. They make it a point at the academy (or at least they used to) that local LEOs are our partners and we need to support them whenever possible.

6. We do our own work. Make no mistake about it, if you become an ATF agent, you will take part in gun buys, drug buys, vehicle assaults, search warrants, and arrest warrants. You will be making a lot of your own arrests with your group. Of course we do adopt cases from the local police as well, but you will be judged more on your pro-active cases.

Again, a lot of these traits are not specific to ATF and you can find them in several other federal/local agencies. But I think it is the combination of them all that makes ATF a desirable place to work.

P.S. I also want to point out that is a great statistic to look at. Want to know how happy people are at certain agencies? Look at their retention rate.

Comment

• I've never called HR to ask about my application status. But after 3 years, they certainly can't be upset about an inquiry, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by rhody401 View Post
          I've never called HR to ask about my application status. But after 3 years, they certainly can't be upset about an inquiry, right?
          Three years between one step?

Comment

• no. for the whole process. 1 yr between last step

Comment

• Originally posted by rhody401 View Post
              no. for the whole process. 1 yr between last step
              Ah ok.

Comment

• anyone know of whether or not you get another final preference sheet (other than the original submitted years ago) before you get a final offer?

Comment

• Has anyone on this forum received a final offer who didn’t get reciprocity? (Or know someone who has?) Can you give us a timeline from start to finish? I talked to an agent today who said normal time from start to hire is around 4 years (that’s how long it took him to get hired, this was 2004-2008.) I applied April 2016 and still haven’t met with the background investigator. I believe someone on here said it was about 8 months after meeting with their background investigator before hearing anything. So if that is the case that will put those of us who don’t have a current clearance at almost 4 years. Someone please tell me otherwise! And please don’t say just gotta live your life and forget you applied, we all know that’s not possible.

Comment

• I did get reciprocity and this April will be 4 years. Good luck to anyone who didnt get reciprocity.

Comment

• hey guys, I spoke to a current special agent with ATF and asked him a bunch of questions. He was unable to answer any of my questions firmly simply because he didn't have first-hand knowledge of the hiring process as he is not directly involved nor in HR. He did tell me a few things that he heard and he is a veteran in the agency so he has a lot of experience dealing with applicants (but not necessarily the hiring process). Here's some of the things he shared with me (again take it with a grain of salt because he only told me things he has heard and his own personal opinion):

1) The agency is working on streamlining the applicants that are on "the shelf" because even they think it's ridiculous how long people have to wait. This may or may not affect us in the May 2016 and prior applicant pools.

2) He believes that there may be 4 classes this year.

3) I am currently a May '16 applicant, I asked him, "based on your many years of experience, when do you think I could possibly get the call"? He said he would think that I should get a call this FY19, but again, just a guess.

4) His best guest on reciprocity is that if an applicant has a current clearance level that is equal or greater to what an ATF agent needs, he would assume that they would start from the most recent investigation/re-investigation and go to the present time.

5) I mentioned to him that I have heard of people that have been waiting 3-4 years now. He said that the polygraph will last 2 years, and it is very rare (although there are rare cases) that applicants need to be re-polygraphed. So for those people who are 3-4 years, he said they might have "fallen through the cracks"...his opinion.

He understands the frustrations of how long the process is and believes it should be more streamlined and hopefully that will happen sooner than later. Regardless, he said that the job is definitely worth the wait and has enjoyed it ever since he was hired. Hopefully we all hear something soon and hopefully this helps a little bit for all of us waiting.

Lastly, please remember that this came from an agent who took the time to talk to me. It completely his opinion and only things that he has heard so take it for what it's worth and just hang in there.

Comment

• colonel87
                      colonel87 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ironically, Schedule B is supposed to be the streamlined process.

• So if it takes 4 years for those who get reciprocity it will be at least 5 for those of us who don't.....
                    Last edited by Federal1030; 11-02-2018, 03:06 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9178 users online. 307 members and 8871 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X