300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ElBandit View Post
    About 3-4 months I think and yes my background was reciprocated.
    Awesome...thank you for the prompt reply!

Comment

About 3-4 months I think and yes my background was reciprocated.
      I also sent you a PM.

Comment

Thanks for posting this information guys. I was offered GS9 would that be a step 10 automatically and if so what would be the next GS promotion levels? Would it be 11-1,12-1,13-1?
        If you are a current 1811 already being paid above a GS 9 step 10, then it would be automatic. Otherwise, they would probably offer you a 9 step 1 and you can attempt to negotiate the step.

The next promotions would be GS 11, 12, and 13 if promoted. 13 is not always automatic. If you are a step 1, you will always promote to a step 1 until your 12/13. The steps are a little more confusing if you are above a step one . It should follow the two step rule. For example:

GS 9 step 10 on the DC payscale is $74,979. You would promote to GS 11, and can’t promote to a lower salary. The step closest to yours, but not lower, on the GS 11 is step 5, $77,109. Now apply the two step rule. You would promote to a GS 11 step 7, which is $81,645.

Confused yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by P.K. Highsmith View Post

If you are a current 1811 already being paid above a GS 9 step 10, then it would be automatic. Otherwise, they would probably offer you a 9 step 1 and you can attempt to negotiate the step.
          I'm going to respectfully disagree. Pay issues get complicated. I'm writing to clarify things for folks who are new to federal employment.

There is absolutely no negotiation of step. One may articulate a grade assignment based on education or experience, but all entry-level federal positions will start at step 01. Grade is obviously more important than step. I'd rather be a 12/01 than a 07/10.

Comment

• Originally posted by espantoon View Post

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Pay issues get complicated. I'm writing to clarify things for folks who are new to federal employment.

There is absolutely no negotiation of step. One may articulate a grade assignment based on education or experience, but all entry-level federal positions will start at step 01. Grade is obviously more important than step. I'd rather be a 12/01 than a 07/10.
            I came into the ATF as a 9 step 10.

Comment

Current federal employees will get pay matched which allows for flexibility in step. If you have never had federal work experience, you cannot negotiate step and your grade will be determined by your education/experience.

Comment

• Sorry for the confusion, I have NOT received the call or been offered the job. The Grade 9 was offered in the COE way back when.

Comment

• Pat1686
                  Pat1686 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Understood, thanks!

To be clear, I was stating that a current 1811 (or other federal employment) who was offered a 9 step 1 could negotiate the step. I say that confidently because that is what I did several years back when I was hired by ATF. I now see how my post could have been confusing.

Comment

• ainokea808
                  ainokea808 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @P.K. Highsmith: sent you a PM

• Also, kindly remember anyone that joins group can post their views and some may not be ATF Agents and are speaking on how their Agency dealt with them. So take all posts/replies/remarks with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Originally posted by USMCjonz View Post

I came into the ATF as a 9 step 10.
                  That’s great. What was your job before joining ATF? Without context, your reply doesn’t add to the conversation. I’m trying to clarify things for people who are making career decisions based on the advice that is given in this thread.

If you are not a current federal employee, you will be brought on at step 01 of whichever grade you successfully articulate. There is no negotiation of step. Period. This is not an ATF-specific matter, this is a requirement in the federal government. Remember, people coming from the private sector aren’t necessarily familiar with the rigidity of federal pay. I think it’s fair to say they deserve a direct answer on what they can expect in terms of pay, and that answer may be blunt if needed to rebut previously inaccurate or misleading information.

Originally posted by Bliskin View Post

Current federal employees will get pay matched which allows for flexibility in step. If you have never had federal work experience, you cannot negotiate step and your grade will be determined by your education/experience.
                  This is correct. To reiterate, grade is “negotiable” in the sense that the applicant may articulate a higher grade appointment based on education or experience (at the time of application). However, a new federal employee will be brought on at step 01 of that grade, regardless of prior experience. A current federal employee will receive pay matching by step adjustment to the closest matching pay without reducing pay, to the limit of step 10 of that grade.

Here’s an example: Current federal employee Smith is a GL-1811-11/01 with another agency. Smith joins ATF and is brought on board as a GL-1811-09/08. This is because Smith was able to articulate the requirements of being hired as a Grade 09 appointee, and then his step was adjusted to most closely match his previous salary without reducing pay. Smith receives a small pay raise as part of this transfer of employment.

Here’s another example: Private citizen Raul is an attorney who makes $400,000 per year in the private sector. Raul joins ATF and is brought on board as a GL-1811-09/01. This is because Raul was able to articulate the requirements of being hired as a Grade 09 appointee, and then his step was automatically set at 01 because he was not a current federal employee prior to his appointment. His previous salary is not a factor in his appointment, and he does not have the option to articulate a higher grade based on the limits of the announcement.

Originally posted by P.K. Highsmith View Post

To be clear, I was stating that a current 1811 (or other federal employment) who was offered a 9 step 1 could negotiate the step. I say that confidently because that is what I did several years back when I was hired by ATF. I now see how my post could have been confusing.
                  I’m going to respectfully disagree again. The appointee will be offered a position at Grade 9 with a step to be determined later. There is no negotiation in the traditional sense. One doesn’t get to say, “Hey, I’m willing to take assignment to an undesirable location. How about we throw a couple of more steps onto the job offer to sweeten the pot?” The “negotiation” is actually an inter-agency transfer of information which includes a verification of the appointee’s current salary, and the calculation of the step that most closely matches the appointee’s current salary without reducing pay, subject to the limit of step 10. There is no step 11.

Here’s another example. Steve is a GS-1811-12/01 with another agency. Steve is brought on board with ATF as a GL-1811-09/10. This is because Steve was able to articulate the requirements of being hired as a Grade 09 appointee, and then his step was adjusted to most closely match his previous salary, subject to the limit of the appointed grade. Steve receives a pay reduction based on this scenario because there is no higher step than 10 within the appointed grade.

Originally posted by USMCjonz View Post
                  Also, kindly remember anyone that joins group can post their views and some may not be ATF Agents and are speaking on how their Agency dealt with them. So take all posts/replies/remarks with a grain of salt.
                  Alternately, even if the person posting to the thread is a current ATF Special Agent, unless that person is assigned to work in HRPD and/or has extensive experience with hiring new agents, that person’s statements are a matter of personal opinion which should be given the same weight as any other poster on this thread.

Comment

• USMCjonz
                    USMCjonz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There were multiple people in my Acadmey class that were NOT prior feds that came in the same grade and step as I.

And as far as personal opinion, it’s not. Considering I’ve seen new Agents onboarded without prior Federal time at 9/10.

I understand you respectfully disagree but you can’t disagree with facts. I can state with absolute certainty that I know Agents who came on at 9/10 that were both prior feds and civilians. Negotiated or not it was done and that’s what people are asking.

Can it be done and the answer is quite simply yes.

That has nothing to do with working in HR and everything to do with seeing with my own eyes those situations just as Highsmith stated.
                    Last edited by USMCjonz; 08-23-2018, 04:54 AM. Reason: Spelling

• P.K. Highsmith
                    P.K. Highsmith commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Haha. You can respectfully disagree, you can add bold lettering, you can write five paragraphs, whatever suits your interests. I can tell you, with 100% certainty, that I negotiated my step when hired by ATF. I am not going to take the time or effort to post my entire story, but will say that it was based on prior federal experience with consistent overtime that exceeded 25% and a break in government service. I was not a current federal employee and was hired at a step 10. But believe whatever you wish. I am not going to debate the issue with you any further. I will leave it up to the forum readers who they want to believe.

• In reference to the pay.... at this point I’m doubting that it will ever be a concern for me! However, I do enjoy reading the “spirited” discussions!

Comment

• Here is to hoping this is finally the week calls go out!

Comment

• blok2400
                      blok2400 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That would be pretty awesome. I’ll hope for medical clearance lol

• Who is Oct. 15 and not gotten "the call"?

Comment

• ZT91
                      ZT91 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No word so far.

• Mountaineers#79
                      Mountaineers#79 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No call here

• Celo182
                      Celo182 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Are you guys all post disclosure form and medical update form that was sent a few weeks ago after the disclosure form?

• PPD35D
                      PPD35D commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oct 15’ also just hanging out, been monitoring the forum since late 2016. I am not an impatient type so I’m just here for the ride hoping it works out.

• How many April 15’ers are still hanging around here waiting for the call?

Comment

• 31Ford
                      31Ford commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Me and another on here that I am sure of. Know of at least two others probably not on rhe forum.

• Killyleagh690
                      Killyleagh690 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      April 15er here.... standing by!

• I really hope you guys get “the call” soon...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4791 users online. 179 members and 4612 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X