Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw that the pt test requirements changed midway through our process(May 2016). Are they going to test us on the requirements they used when we tested Nov. 16 or are they going by the new requirements? Anybody recently dealt with this at SABT?

Comment

• Is it common to have to fill out a form updating your medical history after a year of having medical clearance?

Comment

• yes. myself and many others did it about six months ago.

Comment

• Submitted my Equip last night, any ideas on how long it will be until I get to do my polly and my background investigator meets with me? I'm a May 2016er that is already a federal law enforcement officer with a security clearance.

Comment

• blok2400
            blok2400 commented
            Editing a comment
            Mine was about 3 months after, but I was contacted to schedule it about 5 weeks later.

• Kmiech
            Kmiech commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you have to redo security forms before eqip?

• marathon
            marathon commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I had to redo paperwork and then got the Equip a couple of days later.

• Kmiech
            Kmiech commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok sounds good. Thanks

• I just received an email to update my security forms. Hopefully that means poly is coming soon. May 16 applicant.

Comment

• @@@@@@@@@@
            Last edited by USMCjonz; 08-13-2018, 05:44 AM. Reason: posted erroneously

Comment

• Everyone....unless an Agent works in staffing and hiring or has a VERY specific contact there, questions about the hiring process are extremely difficult to answer. There are no notifications sent to the field about classes, the process, notifications, etc.

I will be happy to answer anything in regards to the actual job, however the hiring process is as big a mystery to us in the field as is to you.
              Last edited by USMCjonz; 08-13-2018, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• blok2400
                blok2400 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, I work with a few agents as a narcotics agent for a local PD. You’re right, they can’t tell me anything about hiring but I’ve learned a lot about the job. Thanks for getting on to help with what you can.

• USMCjonz what would you say is the best part or most rewarding part of the job and what would you say is the most frustrating or least likeable part of the job?

Comment

• USMCjonz
                USMCjonz commented
                Editing a comment
                Rewarding....the freedom. The ability to pave my own way and make my own case

Frustrating....hmmm I’m on my 5th vest in as many years!

• USMCjonz Financially speaking, how does the pay work. For instance, if the conditional offer almost 3 years ago states a grade 7 but you've been able to get an 1811 gig in the meantime at a higher rate, does ATF match the pay or at least bring you on at the highest rate they can within the schedule B hiring authority? I've talked to a 30 year agent and 18 year agent and the process for them was different back in the day. Curious if you have any recent information?

Comment

• USMCjonz
                USMCjonz commented
                Editing a comment
                Resubmit everything update everything. I was with DEA prior as an intel guy. I was initially offered a 7 and I was literally about to get my 13 with the DEA. I took my package I wrote up for my 13 and sento ATF and was subsequently given a 9/10.

• Not sure if I should reply since these are directed to USMCJonz, but figuring the more info the merrier, I'll chime in...

ElBandit : Every field office is different and so much depends on your immediate supervisor. My group has a tremendous amount of flexibility in the cases we work. We focus on violent crime, such as home invasions and Hobbs Act robberies, but also work a lot of drug cases. So the best part of the job is the freedom and flexibility we have to work they types of cases and use the techniques we want to use, Two most rewarding parts. First, is the look on a scum bag defendant's face when reality sets in, usually at the initial appearance. When they lose their arrogance and they realize they are toast, sitting in a federal courtroom. Second, when you see a defendant who has made some bad choices actually turn their life around. Come in and cooperate, admit guilt, be truthful, and actually try to better themselves when they get out. The most frustrating part of the job, like every agent job probably, is the administrative stuff and the bureaucracy. It exists everywhere in gov't, and we are not immune to it.

Pat1686 : It really depends on who you are dealing with at HQ. But it is more than likely negotiable. They will may tell you something like, "You get an offer based on your resume when you applied." But you should respectfully and politely tell them that the three year process wasn't your choice. Ask Them if they would consider honoring your 1811 experience and based on your current pay grade, they can bring you on as high as GS 9 step 10. I think that is a reasonable request and you should be able to work it out. Don't be afraid to politely ask if you can speak with a supervisor about it. The entire key to dealing with HQ is, they have an unreasonable amount of power over applicants. You will catch more flies with honey...

Comment

• P.K. Highsmith thanks for sharing that with us! Here’s another question, how hard is it to get posted at or near your current home residence? Are places like nyc, newark, philly, Boston hard to get?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jbmedina View Post
                  P.K. Highsmith thanks for sharing that with us! Here’s another question, how hard is it to get posted at or near your current home residence? Are places like nyc, newark, philly, Boston hard to get?
                  It’s mostly all luck. There are people who get their first choice and there are people that get no where near where they wanted to go. You have a better shot at getting a larger city simply because there are more agent positions there. But there are just no guarantees and no formula to how it works. Just what’s available the day you get the call.

Comment

• Thanks for posting this information guys. I was offered GS9 would that be a step 10 automatically and if so what would be the next GS promotion levels? Would it be 11-1,12-1,13-1?

Comment

• Pat1686
                      Pat1686 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Elbandit, are you saying you were offered a 9/10?

• USMCjonz
                      USMCjonz commented
                      Editing a comment
                      PM me when you can.

• Radio Raheem
                      Radio Raheem commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It would be an 11-5. The pay regs are on the OPM website. The process works like this. The difference in pay between each step within a grade is the same number. So for example, if the difference between 9-1 and 9-2 is let's say $1500, then $1500 will be the difference between all steps within the GS9 grade. In your situation, your next step would be the equivalent of two step increases from a 9-10, so 9-10 pay + $3000 (1500 x 2). You then take the sum of that, and go to the next grade, GS11, and find a step within the 11 grade that is equal to the sum of 9-10 pay + $3000. If the sum falls between 2 steps, then your promotion amount will be the greater of the two. So if the sum of 9-10 pay + $3000 is in between 11-4 and 11-5, then your pay will be 11-5.
                      Last edited by Radio Raheem; 08-24-2018, 01:29 PM.

• Originally posted by ElBandit View Post
                    Thanks for posting this information guys. I was offered GS9 would that be a step 10 automatically and if so what would be the next GS promotion levels? Would it be 11-1,12-1,13-1?
                    Unrelated question...how soon after med clearance did you get a preference sheet? Was your background reciprocated?

Comment

• About 3-4 months I think and yes my background was reciprocated.

Comment

• Kmiech
                        Kmiech commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Where do you work now? If you don’t mind me asking.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8122 users online. 330 members and 7792 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X