Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did you do your medical? You've consistently been about a week or two ahead of me.
    Last edited by CincyKid85; 12-16-2016, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• This ATF things also adds stress to those of us looking to move to another agency. Who are you going to hire; the person from X city and plans on living in X city until retirement...or the person who wants to move to X city and is pretty far in the application process with the Feds?

Comment

• Originally posted by chapmanp1 View Post
        This ATF things also adds stress to those of us looking to move to another agency. Who are you going to hire; the person from X city and plans on living in X city until retirement...or the person who wants to move to X city and is pretty far in the application process with the Feds?
        State and local may feel that way. But I swear all the feds are like the populars girls in high school. You arent good enough for any of them until you are good enough for one of them. And then, all of a sudden, you are good enough for ALL of them.

Cant tell you how many guys I know that go down to FLETC and then two or three agencies finally get back to them while they are down there.

Comment

• True, but lets be honest. After four years in the hood with constant car chases, foot chases, shootings, stabbings, robberies etc...I've realized that overall, the Feds are pretty lame. The title is cool, the lifestyle is great, but the only employees with any skills on the street are those from ATF (and I would imagine Border Patrol...but I've never worked with them). I read all of these threads about 1811s with the Mint Police, IRS Police, Smithsonian Police etc. and shake my head.

So I say all that to say....who cares about other Fed gigs

Comment

True, but lets be honest. After four years in the hood with constant car chases, foot chases, shootings, stabbings, robberies etc...I've realized that overall, the Feds are pretty lame. The title is cool, the lifestyle is great, but the only employees with any skills on the street are those from ATF (and I would imagine Border Patrol...but I've never worked with them). I read all of these threads about 1811s with the Mint Police, IRS Police, Smithsonian Police etc. and shake my head.

I guess we are all entitled to our own opinions, but thats a pretty shallow and blanketed statement. Good on you for becoming a Fed LE expert by "reading" about the ins and outs of all 1811 jobs on a public forum. I won't waste anyone's time to argue my point. Just saying.

Comment

• Yeah. Pretty broad paintbrush there. It all depends when it comes to Feds. Different divisions/sectors might as well be entirely different agencies themselves when it comes to each respective agency. So any theories on 1811 gigs or certain federal leo gigs are useless.
              Last edited by AL_NERI; 12-16-2016, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• Good point. I'm really just half-way kidding.

Comment

True, but lets be honest. After four years in the hood with constant car chases, foot chases, shootings, stabbings, robberies etc...I've realized that overall, the Feds are pretty lame. The title is cool, the lifestyle is great, but the only employees with any skills on the street are those from ATF (and I would imagine Border Patrol...but I've never worked with them). I read all of these threads about 1811s with the Mint Police, IRS Police, Smithsonian Police etc. and shake my head.

Food for thought. IRS and OIG 1811's retire and walk into executive positions. 922(g) and 924(c) investigations don't lead to great post retirement gigs. Plus it's all the same pay. Each agency has pros and cons.

Comment

True, but lets be honest. After four years in the hood with constant car chases, foot chases, shootings, stabbings, robberies etc...I've realized that overall, the Feds are pretty lame. The title is cool, the lifestyle is great, but the only employees with any skills on the street are those from ATF (and I would imagine Border Patrol...but I've never worked with them).

Border Patrol Agents are pretty bad dudes. Had some movement yesterday. Got medically deferred again, apparently my letter sent in for some medication I am taking was insufficient and I need to get a different evaluation. Sucks having to try and find a doctor during the holidays and meet the deadline.
                    Last edited by Celo182; 12-16-2016, 11:53 PM.

Comment

• Received medical clearance this past week. Did my medical in January 2016 and had no follow-ups. So, it was quite frustrating to wait almost a year for clearance when there was nothing bad in my medical. But I am obviously relieved to clear that hurdle. I guess now I wait on the final preference sheet. Hopefully soon!

Comment

• Yeah it feels good. Congrats. I had to wait 10 months myself post follow up.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokinghole View Post
                          I'm just going to start looking and forget about my ATF application for the near future. If this speculation of another year, maybe two, or more is accurate I could probably land a sweet DOD gig somewhere with my explosives background. The ATF is attractive to me, but I don't want just any 1811 position, I contacted the ATF recruiter for a specific reason. I actually got into this process hoping I could get one if the 1801 explosives enforcement positions, granted I now know it was only for 1811. So the 1811 or bust crew can truck on, I want back into the explosives realm. If that happens as an 1811 in the ATF or as another position somewhere else I will be happy. I know it can take a while for something ideal to come along. With a new administration there might be new exciting opportunities on the horizon.
                          Sorry bud but EEOs (1801) are being phased out. Agents are becoming SABT's. But there are only 35 or so in the entire agency. It's possible,but very hard to get.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCLA1998 View Post

Sorry bud but EEOs (1801) are being phased out. Agents are becoming SABT's. But there are only 35 or so in the entire agency. It's possible,but very hard to get.
                            I found that out after my prescreen. It wasn't known to me when I had contact through the recruiter back over two years ago. I'm certainly okay with it, I thought I had a better chance at 1801 EEO due to zero LE background. Turned out the recruiter and others thought I would be just fine as an 1811 candidate and discussed SABT briefly during my panel, I also expressed interest in the CES path. Anyhow, I want this job but I'm also not looking to apply to every and any 1811 position. Happy to be here, but don't expect a short wait for an academy slot if I am deemed qualified and cleared.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokinghole View Post

I found that out after my prescreen. It wasn't known to me when I had contact through the recruiter back over two years ago. I'm certainly okay with it, I thought I had a better chance at 1801 EEO due to zero LE background. Turned out the recruiter and others thought I would be just fine as an 1811 candidate and discussed SABT briefly during my panel, I also expressed interest in the CES path. Anyhow, I want this job but I'm also not looking to apply to every and any 1811 position. Happy to be here, but don't expect a short wait for an academy slot if I am deemed qualified and cleared.
                              Yeah through attrition the EEO's will be removed. Just as a heads up, get your mind right that the first 3-5 years (at a minimum) you'll be doing gun and dope cases, unless you luck out and go to one of the few divisions that have an arson/explosives group (and get assigned to that group). Not trying to discourage you, just being real.

It's still one of the best gigs going and if you come aboard I'm positive eventually you can put those skills to use! You won't regret coming aboard if you get an offer.

Comment

• Originally posted by FD2FED1977 View Post

Yeah through attrition the EEO's will be removed. Just as a heads up, get your mind right that the first 3-5 years (at a minimum) you'll be doing gun and dope cases, unless you luck out and go to one of the few divisions that have an arson/explosives group (and get assigned to that group). Not trying to discourage you, just being real.

It's still one of the best gigs going and if you come aboard I'm positive eventually you can put those skills to use! You won't regret coming aboard if you get an offer.
                                They way I see it is that if I can get back dealing with explosives and bombs it's be very satisfying but if not, OK. I know I will have to put some real time doing "normal" investigations and cases. I'd prefer it so I'd have a solid background going forward. I don't imagine there are tons of explosives/bomb cases, especially compared to guns and dope. I also imagine the FBI handles most bomb cases as their typically running domestic terrorism issues and I doubt a bomb wouldn't be considered terrorism in the current environment. I might be wrong but I would guess the explosives cases tend to be explosives theft from places like mining and blasting operations. Maybe I'm wrong but seems like a logical guess.

Thanks for the info though guys. Having you two checking this forum and providing a dose of reality to everyone is valuable. Otherwise we have speculators speculating on speculation and rumor.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17633 users online. 539 members and 17094 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X