300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AL_NERI View Post
    I'm a current fed agent with a bachelors and masters, GS-12. Took me 25 months application on usajobs to finish. Now waiting for the call. It's just taking a while now unfortunately. I was told I'd fly through Bc of my resume. Just isn't the case these days. Sometimes it's flying sometimes it's not. That's the way govt cookie
    crumbles. Also is why you put many eggs In one basket. I want ATF more than anything and I received the good to go selected letter. Isn't stopping me, was selected for phase 2 FBI Interview in Dallas and have to travel all the way there, still gonna go. Until they tell me my actual EOD date it's business as usual. I'm in DEA and HSI as well.
    Good luck on your Phase II. You can do it! I have a meet and greet on Thursday. This is my second time.
    OUT!!

Comment

• Im hoping I don't have to go. Id much rather utilize my bird in the hand having received a selection letter from ATF. Much rather not have to go and have ATF call than have to travel so far and it not be a definite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Radio Raheem View Post

If things go as planned I can probably make the July one. Optimistically speaking, I would hope to make the May one. Realistically speaking, I know full well I will not make the January one.
        I wish I had your optimism. I'm only lacking medical clearance, background, and preference sheet and I still don't feel confident about getting a FY17 date.

Comment

• Did my poly. It's off for QC review, hoping for no news since that's good news.

Comment

Im hoping I don't have to go. Id much rather utilize my bird in the hand having received a selection letter from ATF. Much rather not have to go and have ATF call than have to travel so far and it not be a definite.
            I agree. You basically get the same pay and in the end (FBI starting pay is a GS-10 and ATF is GS-7 or 9), and ATF tells you your location on your EOD call. FBI tells you while you are in the academy. You know I never understood that. Why waste all of the money on the application and the academy when there could be a possibility of an applicant/trainee dropping out? Also, is that really fair to the applicant/trainee?
            OUT!!

Comment

• I don't think that anyone who is hired by the FBI drops out based on their duty assignments, and I'm sure that all of that is vetted throughout the interview process. I'm surprised that ATF makes such an effort to get people where they want to go. Honestly, I would rather get hired early and assigned to a random field office, rather than continue to wait forever for a field office that I "prefer."

Both my wife and I have each passed up excellent career opportunities over the last 17 mos; both of us thought that we would have heard something by now. I haven't even taken the poly yet. On the other hand, we've waited too long to give up.

Comment

• Originally posted by chapmanp1 View Post
                I don't think that anyone who is hired by the FBI drops out based on their duty assignments, and I'm sure that all of that is vetted throughout the interview process. I'm surprised that ATF makes such an effort to get people where they want to go. Honestly, I would rather get hired early and assigned to a random field office, rather than continue to wait forever for a field office that I "prefer."

Both my wife and I have each passed up excellent career opportunities over the last 17 mos; both of us thought that we would have heard something by now. I haven't even taken the poly yet. On the other hand, we've waited too long to give up.
                I might add, I want ATF way more than FBI bc of what I've seen, experienced and how I would fit in with each agency in dealing with both. Would I go to whoever calls first regardless of location? of course I'd be dumb not to. Also, at ATF I'd be making considerably more as a 9-10 with locality and leap in the academy then immediately jump to an 11-8 which very few if any other agencies do. You are a ten for quite a while in the FBI. And the last fact, there are only 2,500 ATF special agents which equates to being very taken care of by your agency. FBI is a monster compared to that. I'm in a gigantic law enforcement agency now who takes care of none of their people and everyone is expendable day one in the academy, not saying FBI indeed would do that but I'm sure the odds are better stacked in your favor and you are very valued since there are so few lucky enough to be 1811s with ATF. I'm sure UCLA, and FED can attest to that.
                Last edited by AL_NERI; 12-07-2016, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chapmanp1 View Post
                  I don't think that anyone who is hired by the FBI drops out based on their duty assignments, and I'm sure that all of that is vetted throughout the interview process. I'm surprised that ATF makes such an effort to get people where they want to go. Honestly, I would rather get hired early and assigned to a random field office, rather than continue to wait forever for a field office that I "prefer."

I'm pretty sure that the drop out rate because of an undesirable location is slim but why do it that way? What they should do is include your location in your Tentative Selection paperwork (preferably before poly and background) and if you decline, it's less money spent by the government. Also, if the applicant accepts the TO, then it would give him or her time to research the area (schools, housing, job market for spouse, etc.). I would be kind of difficult if you are from Ft. Myers and you are given Portal, North Dakota in the middle of the academy which is in Virginia.
                  OUT!!

Comment

• All I know is. I've been doing these processes and been a fed Leo for a while now. An agency taking time to get people their first choice is a luxury and unheard of. It speaks volumes. FBI, DEA and most others don't give a crap you go where THEY want you. Get a job now back in hell on the border still a world away from family and life missing all holidays and family events for many more years. Or wait a couple months and get my first choice and actually have quality of life again and not miss my family for three years, holidays etc. Unless you work law enforcement in a south Texas border town you have no idea what I'm referring to. This place might as well be mars. I'm from the Northeast born and raised in Connecticut. There is no border here this IS Mexico. The past 8 years was an extreme detriment that unless seen most people don't understand. The agenda prohibited it from being In the media. OK OFF SOAP BOX.
                    Last edited by AL_NERI; 12-07-2016, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Radio Raheem View Post

I agree. You basically get the same pay and in the end (FBI starting pay is a GS-10 and ATF is GS-7 or 9), and ATF tells you your location on your EOD call. FBI tells you while you are in the academy. You know I never understood that. Why waste all of the money on the application and the academy when there could be a possibility of an applicant/trainee dropping out? Also, is that really fair to the applicant/trainee?
                      FBI and DEA pay for your first move, ATF does not. That gives them (FBI/DEA) the lattitude to assign you anywhere... I don't know of a specific example, but I'm sure there have been ATF hires turn the job down because they couldn't afford to move their family across the country.

In addition to the fact that people generally work better when they are happier (i.e. where they want to live), I think ATF also tries to get people where they want to go so the financial burden of moving is more palatable.

Comment

• As far as small agencies treating you better, I work in a small agency that is ranked 319 outta 320 in government agencies for job satisfaction.
                        Last edited by 31Ford; 12-07-2016, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 31Ford View Post
                          As far as small agencies treating you better, I work in a small agency that is ranked 319 outta 320 in governments agencies for job satisfaction.
                          I was referring to the pool of 1811 gigs, I should've been clearer.

Comment

I was referring to the pool of 1811 gigs, I should've been clearer.
                            http://bestplacestowork.org/BPTW/rankings/detail/HS14

Comment

• My agency has 1811 and 0083 positions filled with equally unhappy people who share 95% of the same gripes.

Comment

• Originally posted by 31Ford View Post
                                My agency has 1811 and 0083 positions filled with equally unhappy people who share 95% of the same gripes.
                                Ohhhhh THAT ONE. Can't say I blame you at all. 319th, yeah, everyone knows not to go there that is already in federal law enforcement unless it's the only way to get their 1811 (Only reason people I know went that had no other irons in the fire). It's the one agency worse than ours as far as attrition, they actually tell you how bad it is in the panel to avoid the attrition rates they continue to have. I passed my panel interview with them for 1811 and called em before my security interview and said no thanks. Nothing but horror stories. They are having trouble hiring and are forced to scoop up 21/22 year old kids for 1811 positions right out of school. The unhappiness is legendary. Doesn't help you served an administration the last 8 years that is anti Law enforcement. Still a bit bigger of an agency though if you compare But hey that's just my experience and I could be wrong I'm sure there's people that thinks it's incredible. Different strokes for different folks. There are gripes from both sides of the fence I am sure. Feel for you Ford, hopefully we are both called and laughing about our hopefully past fed leo nightmare gigs next year around this time.
                                Last edited by AL_NERI; 12-07-2016, 03:42 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19928 users online. 553 members and 19375 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X