Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the average (wait)time from the SA written exam to PTT?

Comment

• I can't speak for averages, but for me it was 2.5 months between the exam and the PTT date.

Comment

• Originally posted by dom1220 View Post
        whats the average (wait)time from the SA written exam to PTT?
        3.5 weeks for me. Not sure you're going to get a decent average as everybody's time between each will be very different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokinghole View Post
          I was kind of sort of wondering a similar thing. I am not currently a fed employee, but I was trying to get GL7 with superior academic achievement. The agents that have interviewed me gave me the impression that even though I have a formal science degree the ATF would give me the SAA, under the "or other applicable degree". I don't have one of the four specifically mentioned and no formal LE background. Just a former military EOD guy with a biotech degree. Of course I'd love to be upgraded to GL7 but I don't want to step on my own dick in the process.

I am torn about even asking really. I don't want to "that applicant".

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
          I'm of the same mindset about whether or not to ask. I am a current federal employee at a GS-12...but not a LEO. And I was qualified for SA at a GS-5. :\. But like others have said, I will not even hesitate to take whatever cut necessary to get this position. Also, I did some hypothetical calculations (which included current locality and including LEAP), and figured out that it would only take me 3 years to get back to what I make now. And after the 4th year, I would surpass what would take me 8 years of step increases at my current job. Those calculations obviously assume yearly grade increases as an 1811. After I did those calculations, I felt better about having to take a pay-cut if necessary. But still, would prefer not to...for obvious reasons, lol.

Comment

• I'm a couple steps into grade 13 and once you factor in LEAP and the tax implications from the pay cut it's not THAT bad all things considered.

Comment

• I am a current federal leo now, GS12-1 about to be 12-2. If blessed with a class spot. Ill take 9 step 10 plus locality and leap in an academy with 6 months of no room or board any day of the week...that's what we call winning the lotto.

Comment

• For those who have taken the PTT, how do they schedule it? One firm date? Or rather would I be able to request to be put on hold? The reason I ask is I am set to go on TDY to another state soon and don't know how long I will be there for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bliskin View Post
                  For those who have taken the PTT, how do they schedule it? One firm date? Or rather would I be able to request to be put on hold? The reason I ask is I am set to go on TDY to another state soon and don't know how long I will be there for.
                  Depends on the field office. I got the email a week ahead with the date.

Comment

• I was given a date for my PTT, but I was able to reschedule and take it at another location. The location was a few hours away, but it worked "better" with my schedule.

Get ready for this process...especially if you are working nights or rotating shifts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bliskin View Post
                      For those who have taken the PTT, how do they schedule it? One firm date? Or rather would I be able to request to be put on hold? The reason I ask is I am set to go on TDY to another state soon and don't know how long I will be there for.
                      I was called and offered my choice of three dates that were between 4-6 weeks from the date the call came in. I chose the one 6-weeks from that day to give myself just a bit more time to workout before the test.

Comment

• Originally posted by bellyer View Post
                        From the Special Agent Informational Packet found on the ATF Special Agent careers web page ... " Criminal Justice, Sociology, Psychology, Political Science or a field of study related to this position,"

You can get the full document here: https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...14pdf/download
                        What is crazy is that Political Science counts, but not B.S. in Intelligence Analysis. But Im just happy to still be alive even at a five

Comment

• Originally posted by smith6cr View Post
                          What is crazy is that Political Science counts, but not B.S. in Intelligence Analysis. But Im just happy to still be alive even at a five
                          I apologize in advance for anyone with these degrees, but, sociology and political science are jokes. If I got one of those I bet I could have graduated faster than 3 years like I did. Psych with out a master's degree qualifies you for a job where any degree will do, apparently ATF SA, and server in a restaurant (along with the theater and English majors).

Sorry I am a little jaded by their preferred degrees....

Comment

• Originally posted by smokinghole View Post
                            I apologize in advance for anyone with these degrees, but, sociology and political science are jokes. If I got one of those I bet I could have graduated faster than 3 years like I did. Psych with out a master's degree qualifies you for a job where any degree will do, apparently ATF SA, and server in a restaurant (along with the theater and English majors).

Sorry I am a little jaded by their preferred degrees....

I am betting that they came up with their preferred degrees years back, well before the newer programs of study, such as Intelligence Analysis and even Computer Science, were really taking off. While I know that ATF is not one of the agencies people think of with major cyber programs and Computer Science is not among the "preferred" degrees at ATF, the fact that I have a bachelor's in Computer Science and am nearing completion of a Master's in Cybersecurity definitely helped me in the process here at ATF. Degrees in Sociology and Political Science still show that an applicant had the perseverance to complete a degree beyond high school and, at least some of what they learned in their coursework, could be applicable to the job. Understanding the government through a PoliSci degree and an understanding of social problems and the way that society works through a Sociology degree can certainly be of some help to you in any Federal job. I understand what you are saying, SmokingHole, but I would say that any of these 4 degrees (among many others) could be of help to an applicant in pursuing work with ATF or many other agencies, especially if there is applicable work experience on top of the degree.

Comment

• Yeah I get it. I guess I will just bite my tongue from here on about the subject. I am happy to get in at a 5 but when I am lead to believe I am eligible for a 7 it's frustrating.

Comment

• Did the grade for which you're qualified come on your test results? I just see "eligible"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12624 users online. 414 members and 12210 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X