Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was kind of sort of wondering a similar thing. I am not currently a fed employee, but I was trying to get GL7 with superior academic achievement. The agents that have interviewed me gave me the impression that even though I have a formal science degree the ATF would give me the SAA, under the "or other applicable degree". I don't have one of the four specifically mentioned and no formal LE background. Just a former military EOD guy with a biotech degree. Of course I'd love to be upgraded to GL7 but I don't want to step on my own dick in the process.

I am torn about even asking really. I don't want to "that applicant".

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by smokinghole; 08-09-2016, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by EDDk9-21 View Post
      Quick question but not sure anyone could answer but has anyone been approved for GL5 or GL7 pay and been able to get GL9 pay come job offer time? I know OPM bases everything off resume but will ATF HR help out if you are considered an 11 step 5? Just wondering how that works since that is a major pay cut for some.
      Not sure if it works for everyone but when they called me they offered a 9 step one. I asked politely and sent them my old sf50 and they gave me credit in steps. It doesn't hurt to ask and when they ask you in return if you will take it at what they offer I would say yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by copper78 View Post
        Not sure if it works for everyone but when they called me they offered a 9 step one. I asked politely and sent them my old sf50 and they gave me credit in steps. It doesn't hurt to ask and when they ask you in return if you will take it at what they offer I would say yes.

That does help. I am just hoping they can get close to matching. Seeing a 30k pay cut is hard but I will still take the job no matter what. It is what I have wanted since I was in college.

Comment

• Originally posted by EDDk9-21 View Post
          That does help. I am just hoping they can get close to matching. Seeing a 30k pay cut is hard but I will still take the job no matter what. It is what I have wanted since I was in college.
          Does anyone know if ATF will negotiate steps at all with people coming from the private sector? I've been offered a GS-9 in my COE, but even if I was given a step 10 with a locality bump at the rate of San Francisco and tack on LEAP, I'll still be looking at about a $40,000 to $50,000 pay cut, not including my annual bonus. No matter what, if I am lucky enough to be offered a spot with ATF (which I will take regardless), my wife and I will have a massive lifestyle change in store for us. Being able to negotiate a step 10 will make things much easier to deal with than having to start out at a step 1.

Comment

• If you have the experience that will put you in the 9/10 category other than what you initially gave them.

Otherwise gear up for a lifestyle change

Comment

• Passed the exam.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokinghole View Post
                I have one completed from 2002/3 do you think data that old carries over?

Same. I completed mine in 2012. Maybe they are just using the same one? I dont know

Comment

• Originally posted by smith6cr View Post
                  Same. I completed mine in 2012. Maybe they are just using the same one? I dont know
                  Not the case, I had one saved from 2010 from CBP Agent and all I had to do was update it. The secret service had me do it all on paper, what a waste.

Comment

Last edited by Apache82; 08-13-2019, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokinghole View Post
                      I was kind of sort of wondering a similar thing. I am not currently a fed employee, but I was trying to get GL7 with superior academic achievement. The agents that have interviewed me gave me the impression that even though I have a formal science degree the ATF would give me the SAA, under the "or other applicable degree". I don't have one of the four specifically mentioned and no formal LE background. Just a former military EOD guy with a biotech degree. Of course I'd love to be upgraded to GL7 but I don't want to step on my own dick in the process.

I am torn about even asking really. I don't want to "that applicant"

My degree was B.S. Intelligence Analysis (3.5 GPA). It didnt qualify as one of the degrees. I would get ready for a GS-5 offer if you're anything like me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawlor View Post
                        Not the case, I had one saved from 2010 from CBP Agent and all I had to do was update it. The secret service had me do it all on paper, what a waste.

Ditto. Been using same one since 06 and just update it for each applying agency. Except USSS lol. Yes that was a huge pain.

Sent from my Mystical Ãœberphone

Comment

My degree was B.S. Intelligence Analysis (3.5 GPA). It didnt qualify as one of the degrees. I would get ready for a GS-5 offer if you're anything like me.
                          Yeah I am prepared. It's not much of a pay cut anyway, if not a minor raise.

Comment

• Passed the exam!

Comment

What are the specific degrees?

Comment

• Originally posted by StickerShock View Post
                                What are the specific degrees?

From the Special Agent Informational Packet found on the ATF Special Agent careers web page ... " Criminal Justice, Sociology, Psychology, Political Science or a field of study related to this position,"

You can get the full document here: https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...14pdf/download

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9721 users online. 213 members and 9508 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X