300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by smokinghole View Post
    Being one not in the know I agree. I wanted to apply to the ATF ever since I hung out with a EEO at a industry trade day we hosted at my EOD unit. Had I not applied to the FBI and failed their test, I likely would have never looked up the possibility of ATF recruiters, eventually finding the bizarrely up to date list. The only LEOs I know are acquaintances from the cigar shop I stop in from time to time. None of them knew about schB when I told them what I found out.

Just happy to make it this far. I would have just kept searching USAjobs and only finding SAC ASAC positions.
    Exactly... You have agents even not knowing about schedule B hiring. It's easier to apply to the CIA, NSA, and DIA than it is to the ATF...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Last edited by Lee23; 05-29-2016, 01:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCLA1998 View Post
        Exactly... You have agents even not knowing about schedule B hiring. It's easier to apply to the CIA, NSA, and DIA than it is to the ATF...

Funny enough, I almost applied to the CIA to see if they would want me as a weapons analyst. I created an account started the application, but never finished. I didn't like the idea of working there the more I thought about it. It was easy to start though.

Comment

• I know this has probably been asked a ton of times, but can anyone share some insight on how the panel interview goes? I have mine next week. What kind of questions are asked? Do I need to bring anything? I tend to psych myself out before interviews.

Comment

• You'll have paperwork to fill out then a writing sample then your interview. Questions are mostly situational or typical interview questions

Comment

• Timeline:

Feb 2015: prescreen int (preference sheet)
              April 2015: submitted application
              June 2015: ATF exam
              August 2015: physical fitness test
              October 2015: panel interview
              Jan 2016 : FedEx (second pref. Sheet )
              Feb 2016: Drug Test
              March 2016 : eqip confirmation complete
              April 2016: poly
              May 2016 : BI begins
              This week : met with BI (notified my packet is almost ready for submission)

Hoping for Medical clearance and preference sheet prior to August.

I have appreciated everyone's support and comments on this thread. Good luck to all.

Comment

• Short answer, no it's not an automatic DQ. ATF uses the plate test for color vision... it's a series of cards full of little dots that reveal a number (if you have normal color vision). I knew I would fail miserably (same test the military uses), however, I can distinguish colors just fine. I called HR and asked about the Farnsworth D-15 Arrangement test, which the FBI accepts as a substitute. Before my ATF physical, I found a local optometrist that offers the D-15 and made an appointment to take it (on my own dime, of course). I passed easily and took the documentation to my ATF physical a few months later. I failed the plate test as expected, but the nurse took a memo I wrote to explain what I did, along with the test results from the optometrist, and sent it in. I heard nothing further regarding medical until I got the clearance letter. I like to think this saved me a ton of time after listening to all the "follow-up" stories.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Lee23 View Post
                Can anyone advise in regards to any form of color blindness, however slight, being an automatic DQ?

Comment

• Originally posted by UCLA1998 View Post
                  That's my only beef with schedule B hiring... If your aren't in the "know", you will never be hired.. Hopefully ATF will post a USAJOBS announcement eventually.
                  Eh, anyone who does a little research can figure it out. I don't mind these methods that are a little harder to figure out. Thins out those who are less serious about trying to get the job (i.e., the stereotypical "I saw the show "NCIS" and it looks cool!" people).

It's still pretty much an open application. Sending in your resume to a recruiter is pretty much applying.

Comment

• 2012 ATF Special Agent Announcement

Originally posted by aspiring_fed View Post
                    Eh, anyone who does a little research can figure it out. I don't mind these methods that are a little harder to figure out. Thins out those who are less serious about trying to get the job (i.e., the stereotypical "I saw the show "NCIS" and it looks cool!" people).

It's still pretty much an open application. Sending in your resume to a recruiter is pretty much applying.
                    Stop it... Recruitment shouldn't be a Secret.. You see FBI, CIA, and DEA advertising for the most part. That's how you get the best and diverse range of applicants. Even NCIS uses a USAJOBS format, so please stop with this "researching" crap.. Sending an resume to a non HR PIO is not like applying because your at the mercy of the PIO. If they have 10 resumes and 8 are friends of agents or family, what 8 resumes are going to be processed first?

Last edited by UCLA1998; 05-25-2016, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• Deleted post
                      Last edited by HSVP; 07-10-2019, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UCLA1998 View Post
                        Stop it... Recruitment shouldn't be a Secret.. You see FBI, CIA, and DEA advertising for the most part. That's how you get the best and diverse range of applicants. Even NCIS uses a USAJOBS format, so please stop with this "researching" crap.. Sending an resume to a non HR PIO is not like applying because your at the mercy of the PIO. If they have 10 resumes and 8 are friends of agents or family, what 8 resumes are going to be processed first?

The agent to whom we send resumes is the only one who reviews them? I assumed it was a panel.
                        Last edited by aspiring_fed; 05-25-2016, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aspiring_fed View Post
                          The agent we send resumes is the only one who reviews them? I assumed it was a panel.
                          You send a PIO your resume they (PIO, ASAC or SAC) then compile a limited number (let's say top 20 in their opinion). After reviewing what ever they receive, they send the selected resumes to DC HQ. DC HQ then send out USAJOB links.. The PIO and and ASAC are the initial gate keepers. That's it... Once you get the USAJOBS link, that's when you begin the formal application process.

Last edited by UCLA1998; 05-25-2016, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I mean, it's not like nepotism and similar practices are nonexistent in public openings.

I still don't have a huge problem with Schedule B.
                            Last edited by aspiring_fed; 05-25-2016, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• In my recent class, I'd say the average age was 30-32 with 95% being prior LE and/or military with college degrees. Overall, it was a very impressive group of professionals.

I guess there is no perfect system, but with the wide open usajobs announcement they get 30K applicants in a few days, which overwhelms and bogs down the HR staff. Plenty of good people get overlooked in that system due to sheer volume and the lack of vetting early in the process... those usajobs questionnaires you fill out are a joke. If you downgrade yourself in anything, you are out.

I guess my point is neither system is perfect. At least schedule B is more efficient and, for the most part, we seem to be getting quality individuals with solid professional experience. "That guy" will slip through the cracks in any system.

Comment

Originally posted by Z man View Post
                                In my recent class, I'd say the average age was 30-32 with 95% being prior LE and/or military with college degrees. Overall, it was a very impressive group of professionals.

I guess there is no perfect system, but with the wide open usajobs announcement they get 30K applicants in a few days, which overwhelms and bogs down the HR staff. Plenty of good people get overlooked in that system due to sheer volume and the lack of vetting early in the process... those usajobs questionnaires you fill out are a joke. If you downgrade yourself in anything, you are out.

I guess my point is neither system is perfect. At least schedule B is more efficient and, for the most part, we seem to be getting quality individuals with solid professional experience. "That guy" will slip through the cracks in any system.
                                If schedule B was more efficient more agencies would use it .. The most efficient hiring is done with excepted service. Agencies can set the criteria and it would be a mass hire with a announcement.. But anyway, enough about hiring! Good luck to you guys and maybe I'll see some of you soon when you get on!!

Last edited by UCLA1998; 05-25-2016, 10:51 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14764 users online. 406 members and 14358 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X