Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 ATF Special Agent Announcement

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by yankee22 View Post
    First time poster here. I recently had my prescreen (first week of March). I was told to expect an email by the middle of April. I am already aware that I don't meet the uncorrected vision requirements. I am more than willing to get LASIK but I'm unsure of when to get it. I really don't want to get it until I am given a conditional offer of employment after the panel interview (God willing that I make it that far). But LASIK requires at least a 3 month waiting period before you are considered medically clear. So my question is how much time is there usually between the panel interview and the medical exam? Would I have enough time to get LASIK if I waited until after the interview?
    If I were you I'd get it done now. The process moves fast. If you're unable to do the PTT due to recovery, simply tell your POC and show them proof of your surgery if need be. Then, ask if you can take the PTT with the next round of folks.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by yankee22 View Post
      First time poster here. I recently had my prescreen (first week of March). I was told to expect an email by the middle of April. I am already aware that I don't meet the uncorrected vision requirements. I am more than willing to get LASIK but I'm unsure of when to get it. I really don't want to get it until I am given a conditional offer of employment after the panel interview (God willing that I make it that far). But LASIK requires at least a 3 month waiting period before you are considered medically clear. So my question is how much time is there usually between the panel interview and the medical exam? Would I have enough time to get LASIK if I waited until after the interview?
      I can't imagine a scenario where getting lasik as soon as possible is a bad idea. If you're willing to do it for the job then get it asap so the waiting period isn't an issue. If for some reason you don't make it through the process having lasik done already will negate the vision issue in any future employment endeavours.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by yankee22 View Post
        First time poster here. I recently had my prescreen (first week of March). I was told to expect an email by the middle of April. I am already aware that I don't meet the uncorrected vision requirements. I am more than willing to get LASIK but I'm unsure of when to get it. I really don't want to get it until I am given a conditional offer of employment after the panel interview (God willing that I make it that far). But LASIK requires at least a 3 month waiting period before you are considered medically clear. So my question is how much time is there usually between the panel interview and the medical exam? Would I have enough time to get LASIK if I waited until after the interview?
        From what I was told you have a whole 2 weeks after receiving COE (FedEx package) to get medical completed.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by yankee22 View Post
          First time poster here. I recently had my prescreen (first week of March). I was told to expect an email by the middle of April. I am already aware that I don't meet the uncorrected vision requirements. I am more than willing to get LASIK but I'm unsure of when to get it. I really don't want to get it until I am given a conditional offer of employment after the panel interview (God willing that I make it that far). But LASIK requires at least a 3 month waiting period before you are considered medically clear. So my question is how much time is there usually between the panel interview and the medical exam? Would I have enough time to get LASIK if I waited until after the interview?
          Have you thought about contacts?

          Comment


          • I am a July applicant. I got LASIK in December about a month after the interview. My medical was in early January. I would suggest getting it done ASAP. You'll probably have to submit medical follow up from the LASIK surgeon but youll want to be healed before the medical. I waited very late and was lucky they fit me in when they did.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by dsb05c View Post
              I am a July applicant. I got LASIK in December about a month after the interview. My medical was in early January. I would suggest getting it done ASAP. You'll probably have to submit medical follow up from the LASIK surgeon but youll want to be healed before the medical. I waited very late and was lucky they fit me in when they did.
              So you got LASIK in December and still passed the medical in January? They didn't make you wait 3 months (or fail you because there wasn't enough time in between)?

              Comment


              • I took the vision test but listed on the medical paperwork I has LASIK done the previous month. Month later I got a medical follow that my LASIK doctor completed that said I have had no complications.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by dsb05c View Post
                  I took the vision test but listed on the medical paperwork I has LASIK done the previous month. Month later I got a medical follow that my LASIK doctor completed that said I have had no complications.
                  So they accepted that? I was worried about getting to the medical and failing for not having had waited long enough between surgery and the test but looks like that won't be the case?

                  Comment


                  • They accepted my medical follow up paperwork and haven't heard back saying they needed anything else.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by yankee22 View Post
                      So they accepted that? I was worried about getting to the medical and failing for not having had waited long enough between surgery and the test but looks like that won't be the case?
                      You should totally wait until the very last minute to get lasik and if you don't pass your medical refer to this public forum and say "the interwebs said I could"

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by AlwaysReady2000 View Post
                        You should totally wait until the very last minute to get lasik and if you don't pass your medical refer to this public forum and say "the interwebs said I could"
                        I don't have the option to get lasik for another 2 months so thanks for your input, but I don't have a choice. Hence why I'm asking around for the EXPERIENCES of others.

                        Comment


                        • Hey guys; I've received a few PMs inquiring about studying for the exam, rather than just continuing to keep those bits of information private I wanted to put it out there.

                          I don't know how many folks have been to ATF.GOV and read over the career section, obviously in regards to becoming a Special Agent.

                          There is a lot of good info tucked away there, often times answers to some of the very questions posed here. There is also a semblance of a study guide. Is it a super in depth SAT study guide? No, however it gives examples of the types of questions you'll see. In my opinion 10 concise examples are better than page after page of extensive study guides.

                          Just wanted to put that info out there, the section is coincidently called preparing for the ATF Special Agent Exam.

                          Good luck ladies and gents.


                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by yankee22 View Post
                            I don't have the option to get lasik for another 2 months so thanks for your input, but I don't have a choice. Hence why I'm asking around for the EXPERIENCES of others.
                            Well, I guess you have to work with what you have. The plus side is that once you do get it done it won't be an issue later. Also these prescreen and announcements are coming out a few months apart so worst case scenario you are set back a few months.

                            Comment


                            • Took part in the pre-screen today. There were quite a few people there but each of us were able to get one-on-one time with an agent. I thought it was a good way to see face to face and learn more in-depth of the hiring process and the agency as a whole, especially speaking directly to someone who's been there 15+ years. He said he would forward my resume for recommendation. Either way, time to wait for April 6th to get an email to apply.
                              Last edited by Etoolqual; 03-19-2015, 12:21 PM.

                              Comment


                              • FedEx package is in hand.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 5964 users online. 343 members and 5621 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X