300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bayranger View Post
    Also I know for a fact that many misinterpret Schedule B hiring as - if I make it through all the steps I'll get a job. If there are twice as many applicants as openings it doesn't matter what type of process you went through. So more applicants in the pool will decrease your chances of an immediate offer. Classic Rabbit's post only serves to solidify that point.
    Are your chances better in Schedule B? Yes. Is it guaranteed? No.
    You are correct, making through the process will not guarantee you a job. But I do want to comment on the numbers a bit, maybe make the future look a little brighter for those that make it through. One agent told me that they were very surprised at how many Schedule B applicants are not making it through the process. He said they are losing about 25% of the applicants at three different steps in the process. So if you look at the "Baltimore 70" as an example, that leaves you with 30 applicants completing the process, on average.

How many of those will take the job in the end? Maybe another 75%? That leaves you with 22 actually taking the job, in one of the larger applicant pools (probably only second to DC).

If you finish the process, and if the budget environment doesn't change (that's a huge if), I would feel pretty confident about getting a job.

Comment

• Originally posted by SterlingArcher View Post
      You are correct, making through the process will not guarantee you a job. But I do want to comment on the numbers a bit, maybe make the future look a little brighter for those that make it through. One agent told me that they were very surprised at how many Schedule B applicants are not making it through the process. He said they are losing about 25% of the applicants at three different steps in the process. So if you look at the "Baltimore 70" as an example, that leaves you with 30 applicants completing the process, on average.

How many of those will take the job in the end? Maybe another 75%? That leaves you with 22 actually taking the job, in one of the larger applicant pools (probably only second to DC).

If you finish the process, and if the budget environment doesn't change (that's a huge if), I would feel pretty confident about getting a job.
      I like your optimism. The numbers make sense. I'm an optimist-realist. I hope for the best-but don't expect it.
      Also, "The Baltimore 70" sounds like a mob gang or something lol. Like if you want a job with the ATF, you gotta go through The Baltimore 70 first...

Comment

• I want to say there was 30 or so people at the Tampa PT test in September. Of that, I think only 2 did not pass which was pretty good (run for both). It was raining hard that day so you really couldn't hear the run times as people finished. If you cannot pass the pushups minimum, I am sorry that is inexcusable (sans a recent medical issue). There is a 4 inch foam block that you have to touch with your chest. It is not even chest to deck. The situps are a little tougher but still very attainable. The run will always be what gets people. Train in the environment you will test in and run after doing pushups and situps. I hate running with a passion but I was able to get the run. If I can do it, anyone can.

That said, as I know some of you are doing the same, a lot of applicants have their hats in several different hiring processes. People will bow out for accepting other positions and some will not accept the position once they are called and offered the job. The people that start the process and those who end up getting on board will be vary different. Don't get discouraged when you hear the #s.
        Last edited by dsb05c; 01-15-2015, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• First time poster here...I am an applicant from the February 2014 pool. I wanted to post my timeline to help those of you who may be anxious about their process. Based on my experience, and from what I have read on this forum, there really seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how the ATF processes applicants after the panel interviews are completed. For instance, I received my medical clearance letter and completed my polygraph prior to my background investigation ever starting. Just hang in there and don't get worked up comparing yourself to the speed in which others are processing.

March 2014 - Written Exam
          May 2014 - PTT
          July 2014 - Panel Interview, Fed-Ex Package, and E-Qip Invitation
          August 2014 - Drug Test and Medical
          October 2014 - Polygraph
          November 2014 - Medical Clearance Letter
          January 2015 - Background Investigation Started

Comment

• Originally posted by Hmiddle02 View Post
            First time poster here...I am an applicant from the February 2014 pool. I wanted to post my timeline to help those of you who may be anxious about their process. Based on my experience, and from what I have read on this forum, there really seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how the ATF processes applicants after the panel interviews are completed. For instance, I received my medical clearance letter and completed my polygraph prior to my background investigation ever starting. Just hang in there and don't get worked up comparing yourself to the speed in which others are processing.

March 2014 - Written Exam
            May 2014 - PTT
            July 2014 - Panel Interview, Fed-Ex Package, and E-Qip Invitation
            August 2014 - Drug Test and Medical
            October 2014 - Polygraph
            November 2014 - Medical Clearance Letter
            January 2015 - Background Investigation Started
            Thanks for posting. Don't see too many Timelines posted on here. It does help to see even though each processes differently.

Comment

• Rule #1 of the PTT phase: Leave it all on the track.
              Rule #2 of the PTT phase: It's 15 minutes for a 20 year career.
              Rule #3 of the PTT phase: Don't puke on the track.
              Rule #4 of the PTT phase: Don't be in that 25%-30%.
              Rule #5 of the PTT phase: See rules 1-4.

It is that easy.

DON'T worry about class spots, class dates, etc.

DO worry about getting to the track EARLY. DO worry about pushing through the pain and beating the minimums.

Comment

• Originally posted by FD2FED1977 View Post
                Rule #1 of the PTT phase: Leave it all on the track.
                Rule #2 of the PTT phase: It's 15 minutes for a 20 year career.
                Rule #3 of the PTT phase: Don't puke on the track.
                Rule #4 of the PTT phase: Don't be in that 25%-30%.
                Rule #5 of the PTT phase: See rules 1-4.

It is that easy.

DON'T worry about class spots, class dates, etc.

DO worry about getting to the track EARLY. DO worry about pushing through the pain and beating the minimums.
                Rule #1 of the PTT phase: Leave it all on the track. [emoji736]
                Rule #2 of the PTT phase: It's 15 minutes for a 20 year career.[emoji736]
                Rule #3 of the PTT phase: Don't puke on the track. [emoji780] (We'll see...)
                Rule #4 of the PTT phase: Don't be in that 25%-30%.[emoji736]
                Rule #5 of the PTT phase: See rules 1-4.[emoji736]

It is that easy.

DON'T worry about class spots, class dates, etc. [emoji736]

DO worry about getting to the track EARLY.[emoji736] DO worry about pushing through the pain and beating the minimums.[emoji736]

Comment

• [QUOTE=bayranger;3582091]Rule #1 of the PTT phase: Leave it all on the track. [emoji736]
                  QUOTE]

If you have to puke, AT LEAST do it in the grass or trash can!

Comment

• [QUOTE=FD2FED1977;3582103]
                    Originally posted by bayranger View Post
                    Rule #1 of the PTT phase: Leave it all on the track. [emoji736]
                    QUOTE]

If you have to puke, AT LEAST do it in the grass or trash can!
                    Those are precious wasted seconds! I'll wear a Gore-Tex beanie and it can double as a puke bag that way I don't have to break stride.

Comment

• I did a PTT for my job to get a money incentive and luckily we did the 1.5 mile on a indoor track. Needless to say, this is how bad I wanted to finish...I somehow tripped on my pant leg, fell and slid at the beginning of the 12th lap (200m track). Approximately 60 people were looking at me when I fell. I hopped right back up and completed that last lap. Do what you need to pass that PTT.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsb05c View Post
                        I want to say there was 30 or so people at the Tampa PT test in September. Of that, I think only 2 did not pass which was pretty good (run for both). It was raining hard that day so you really couldn't hear the run times as people finished. If you cannot pass the pushups minimum, I am sorry that is inexcusable (sans a recent medical issue). There is a 4 inch foam block that you have to touch with your chest. It is not even chest to deck. The situps are a little tougher but still very attainable. The run will always be what gets people. Train in the environment you will test in and run after doing pushups and situps. I hate running with a passion but I was able to get the run. If I can do it, anyone can.

That said, as I know some of you are doing the same, a lot of applicants have their hats in several different hiring processes. People will bow out for accepting other positions and some will not accept the position once they are called and offered the job. The people that start the process and those who end up getting on board will be vary different. Don't get discouraged when you hear the #s.
                        20 were taking the PTT in Tampa in September... 8 this month. Aside from that, I was told ATF was in a scramble to find the last 7 recruits to fill the Jan academy class as those who were previously selected backed out.

Comment

• Originally posted by scott50 View Post
                          20 were taking the PTT in Tampa in September... 8 this month. Aside from that, I was told ATF was in a scramble to find the last 7 recruits to fill the Jan academy class as those who were previously selected backed out.
                          Wow. I'm sure some Feb 14 folks would be glad to sign the waiver and "step up to the plate"...

Comment

• Originally posted by scott50 View Post
                            Good info. Yeah couldn't remember if it was 20 or 30. I was a nervous as can be so I just felt like it was a huge audience watching the first group. Yeah, I think a lot of people are processing with multiple agencies and some are putting in but hoping to stay close to home. I'm actually wanting to leave the state and told my wife that if lucky enough to get the call, I don't care what location it is.

Comment

• This post has been deleted...
                              Last edited by CapAlpha; 08-14-2016, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arc_Native View Post
                                Quick questions guys. Is it normal for a field office to only give one day to do the PTT? As opposed to 2 or 3 to pick from? Curious because i was recently given only one day and it just happens that its the same day i need to certify for a new job. I asked the agent and said they need to have it done by the end of Jan but that he wouldnt be able to test again until Feb. Am I screwed if I do that?
                                I can only speak of when I took the PTT; "you're scheduled to take the PTT on this date" and that was pretty much it. Not sure if you can do it, but maybe ask if it is possible to stay in the process but take the PTT when the next round of folks take it. Just remember, everyone at the PTT locations have case loads to manage, on top of training and other things, but they set it aside to help with the PTT.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12483 users online. 416 members and 12067 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X