300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jimlv View Post
    This helps a lot seeing these numbers. I didn't realize you could come in at GS 9 Step 10. Any idea what would get you the step 10 versus starting at step 1?
    If you are federal and make that much already then you get the grade you qualify for based on experience and your step is automatically adjusted to the level that gets you closest to your current pay per OPM guidelines. If you are local PD jumping to federal then you get the grade you qualify for based on education and experience. However, what step you are at is usually negotiated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Do you get leap at the academy? The academy I've gone through already for my current agency only allowed us to work 8hrs a day at the academy for the most part.....

Comment

• I have another question concerning pay and matching. If I worked at a federal le agency and left a couple of years ago and get hired back on with another agency will I have to start off at the beginning again or will they match my previous pay if I submit my old sf 50? I'm going to take it either way, I was just curious if anyone out there knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by dreamerk View Post
          Do you get leap at the academy? The academy I've gone through already for my current agency only allowed us to work 8hrs a day at the academy for the most part.....
          Yes. ASAC I spoke to advised LEAP from day 1.

Comment

• Originally posted by patriot772 View Post
            If you are federal and make that much already then you get the grade you qualify for based on experience and your step is automatically adjusted to the level that gets you closest to your current pay per OPM guidelines. If you are local PD jumping to federal then you get the grade you qualify for based on education and experience. However, what step you are at is usually negotiated.

If you are not a current FED employee, expect to get a step 1 for whatever grade you qualify for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firefox View Post
              If you are not a current FED employee, expect to get a step 1 for whatever grade you qualify for.
              Yeah, I would agree with you. There's maybe a 20% chance of jumping from local to the FED as anything higher than step 1 in whatever grade you qualify for. However I have seen it go higher. Hard to do but not impossible....

Comment

Yeah, I would agree with you. There's maybe a 20% chance of jumping from local to the FED as anything higher than step 1 in whatever grade you qualify for. However I have seen it go higher. Hard to do but not impossible....
                I would say maybe a 5% chance...

Comment

Do you get leap at the academy? The academy I've gone through already for my current agency only allowed us to work 8hrs a day at the academy for the most part.....
                  Yes, LEAP and locality.

Comment

It really does depend on a lot of factors. For instance, where you fall on the GS pay scale when you come in and what office you are out of make a huge difference as to take home pay. Highest you can come in under this announcement that is supposed to post soon-ISH is GS-9 step 10. If you live in say Washington D.C then your locality pay will be 24.22% of your base; which makes your base pay + locality= $67,787 (at GS 9 Step 10). LEAP will put you at $84,733. I would say you are making around $2000 after taxes, health care, and 10% into TSP (401k equivalent).

If you are GS 7 step 1 then it would be Base Pay + Locality= $42,631. With LEAP added it would be $53,288 gross pay. Take home would probably be $1600 after taxes, health care, and 10% TSP. You can go to the IRS web page to find out estimates on your take home pay. These numbers are VERY rough but generally speaking its what you might expect if you jump to the ATF. GS-13 step 1 would put you at $112,405 in D.C with Base pay + Locality + LEAP. Hopefully this gives you an idea of what you would be looking at.....
                    A GS-7/1 in DC makes $48,315....add in LEAP and it's $60,393.75.

Comment

I don't know how much this will help you, but I am told that the highest grade you can be hired at is a GS9 step 10 (depending on experience, qualifications, and current grade), I know ATF special agents go up to a GS-13 and if I'm not mistaken they go up a grade every year until you reach your GS-13. Hope this helps.
                      Typical progression is (from the lowest) 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13.

Comment

• 2012 ATF Special Agent Announcement

Originally posted by FD2FED1977 View Post
                        A GS-7/1 in DC makes $48,315....add in LEAP and it's $60,393.75.
                        Well going off of the GS pay for Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA - on OPM's website, where locality is figured into the table already, $42,209 is what a GS-7 Step 1 makes. Multiply that by 1.25 and you'll get the total w/LEAP. I used www.fedsmith.com the first time around and got the 2014 pay scale numbers. The numbers above are from OPM's 2015 pay scale. #'s are my thing bro! Where are you getting your info???

Last edited by patriot772; 10-11-2014, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Well going off of the GS pay for Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA - on OPM's website, where locality is figured into the table already, $42,209 is what a GS-7 Step 1 makes. Multiply that by 1.25 and you'll get the total w/LEAP. I used www.fedsmith.com the first time around and got the 2014 pay scale numbers. The numbers above are from OPM's 2015 pay scale. #'s are my thing bro! Where are you getting your info???

if you look at the law enforcement pay scale on opm for 2014, FD2FED1977 is right. The $48,315 is including the locality pay of 24.22% for the Washington/Metro Area.

Comment

Ummmm....perhaps not on this one they aren't! I know a guy very well that's a GS-7/1 in that locality area. Trust me, his salary is $60,393.75.

Google "law enforcement OPM salary calculator".

Comment

Incorrect. Salary without LEAP is $48,315.

Comment

• Originally posted by FD2FED1977 View Post
                                Ummmm....perhaps not on this one they aren't! I know a guy very well that's a GS-7/1 in that locality area. Trust me, his salary is $60,393.75.

Google "law enforcement OPM salary calculator".
                                Yeah, I forgot there's a LE payscale. My bad! My point of the numbers comment was that I got the math right based on the number I was using. Clearly my reference point was incorrect. Thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9066 users online. 302 members and 8764 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X