X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bayranger
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by FutureAgent001
    I applied with the group that got the link in July and just did the written assessment. Now waiting for the PTT. To give you an idea of my timeline:

Oct. 2013: Cold call to the FD, spoke with the recruiter and emailed him my resume. Specified that I was already an 1811.
    Nov. 2013: Received email from another officer at the division stating that my name was added to the candidate pool.
    Mar. 2014: Received email from the division stating that my name was put forward to HQ.
    Apr. 2014: Recruiter called me and asked to meet him in person to fill out field office preference sheet / other documents.
    July. 2014: Received the announcement link and applied.
    Sept. 2014: Took the written assessment.

Hope that helps.
    Helps indeed. Knowledge is power!

Comment

• maximus52
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2011

Anybody know if the top student of each ATF Special Agent Academy gets to pick first duty location; similar to what FBI and DEA do?

Comment

• SterlingArcher
        Forum Member
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by maximus52
        Anybody know if the top student of each ATF Special Agent Academy gets to pick first duty location; similar to what FBI and DEA do?
        Negative. Even better. With ATF, you will be given your duty location before you leave for training.

Comment

• FD2FED1977
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by SterlingArcher
          Negative. Even better. With ATF, you will be given your duty location before you leave for training.
          ^^^^ What he said ^^^^

Comment

• Z man
            Forum Member
            • May 2014

Originally posted by FutureAgent001
            I applied with the group that got the link in July and just did the written assessment. Now waiting for the PTT. To give you an idea of my timeline:

Oct. 2013: Cold call to the FD, spoke with the recruiter and emailed him my resume. Specified that I was already an 1811.
            Nov. 2013: Received email from another officer at the division stating that my name was added to the candidate pool.
            Mar. 2014: Received email from the division stating that my name was put forward to HQ.
            Apr. 2014: Recruiter called me and asked to meet him in person to fill out field office preference sheet / other documents.
            July. 2014: Received the announcement link and applied.
            Sept. 2014: Took the written assessment.

Hope that helps.
            Very similar experience for me... I also applied via the USA Jobs link in July.

- Feb 2014: Cold call to division recruiter. Spoke for a few minutes, then he asked me to e-mail him my resume. I think he was the PIO filling in as recruiter.
            - Apr 2014: Different recruiter (same division) emailed me and asked for my most current resume... ATF was getting ready for another "round of hiring."
            - Apr 2014 (one week later): Recruiter e-mailed me pre-screen and location preferences paperwork to be completed and returned.
            - May 2014: Received congratulatory e-mail from recruiter informing me that my name had been submitted to HQ. E-mail clearly stated that HQ would contact me for the next step and he didn't know how long that would take. E-mail was addressed to 20-25 individuals.
            - Jul 2014: Received e-mail from HQ informing me I would receive a link to USA Jobs to apply the following week.
            - Jul 2014 (one week later): Received the link and applied.
            - Sep 2014: Took written test (passed).

Currently waiting to be scheduled for PTT. FWIW, I have 6 years active duty military experience, I'm a current DoD civilian, and I have a Master's... but no previous LE. I am very grateful for this opportunity and I plan to continue giving it my best.

If you're like me and don't know or work with a current SA, then the best advice I can give is to really work on your resume and make sure it shines... I feel that's what got me in the door. I submitted my federal resume, which, if you aren't familiar, is vastly different from your traditional resume (i.e. 4-5 pgs vs 1-2). Not sure if that matters, but it worked for me. You can google "federal resume" or "gs resume" to get some examples/tips. Best wishes to all!
            Last edited by Z man; 09-15-2014, 07:47 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• FD2FED1977
              Forum Member
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Z man
              Very similar experience for me... I also applied via the USA Jobs link in July.

- Feb 2014: Cold call to division recruiter. Spoke for a few minutes, then he asked me to e-mail him my resume. I think he was the PIO filling in as recruiter.
              - Apr 2014: Different recruiter (same division) emailed me and asked for my most current resume... ATF was getting ready for another "round of hiring."
              - Apr 2014 (one week later): Recruiter e-mailed me pre-screen and location preferences paperwork to be completed and returned.
              - May 2014: Received congratulatory e-mail from recruiter informing me that my name had been submitted to HQ. E-mail clearly stated that HQ would contact me for the next step and he didn't know how long that would take. E-mail was addressed to 20-25 individuals.
              - Jul 2014: Received e-mail from HQ informing me I would receive a link to USA Jobs to apply the following week.
              - Jul 2014 (one week later): Received the link and applied.
              - Sep 2014: Took written test (passed).

Currently waiting to be scheduled for PTT. FWIW, I have 6 years active duty military experience, I'm a current DoD civilian, and I have a Master's... but no previous LE. I am very grateful for this opportunity and I plan to continue giving it my best.

If you're like me and don't know or work with a current SA, then the best advice I can give is to really work on your resume and make sure it shines... I feel that's what got me in the door. I submitted my federal resume, which, if you aren't familiar, is vastly different from your traditional resume (i.e. 4-5 pgs vs 1-2). Not sure if that matters, but it worked for me. You can google "federal resume" or "gs resume" to get some examples/tips. Best wishes to all!
              I know a guy that paid a professional to do his resume. He had an interview with the writer, and then she created it for him. It was worth the money because he landed a fed gig too.

Comment

• Z man
                Forum Member
                • May 2014

Originally posted by FD2FED1977
                I know a guy that paid a professional to do his resume. He had an interview with the writer, and then she created it for him. It was worth the money because he landed a fed gig too.
                I've known folks who have used those services with success as well. Fortunately for vets, everyone who separates from active duty is now required to go through TAP (Transition Assistance Program)... often times resume writing classes are available.

A lot of us work hard and do a great job, but it's all about communicating that effectively through your resume to some one who has no idea who you are... especially if that's all they see (i.e. in my case there was no "meet and greet" or interview).

Resumes don't get you hired--they get you an interview... in this case only after successfully completing a written test and PT test!
                Last edited by Z man; 09-15-2014, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• maximus52
                  Forum Member
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by SterlingArcher
                  Thanks for the answer. I was curious to whether they followed DEA and FBI or did their own thing when it came to that policy.

Comment

• maximus52
                    Forum Member
                    • Jul 2011

Needs some advice:

I'm awaiting my PTT and about 3 weeks ago, I pulled my right hamstring and sprained my lumbar muscles in my lower right back. I can still past the PTT but it isn't pretty. Doc says I need at least 6-8 weeks of no running to let it heal properly.

Does ATF have a policy that allows you to post pone PTT for medical reasons? If they do, you guys think I should pursue it or just do the PTT and then rest while going through the other steps. If they don't have medical policy then heck, I'll take it.

Comment

• SterlingArcher
                      Forum Member
                      • Feb 2008

Needs some advice:

I'm awaiting my PTT and about 3 weeks ago, I pulled my right hamstring and sprained my lumbar muscles in my lower right back. I can still past the PTT but it isn't pretty. Doc says I need at least 6-8 weeks of no running to let it heal properly.

Does ATF have a policy that allows you to post pone PTT for medical reasons? If they do, you guys think I should pursue it or just do the PTT and then rest while going through the other steps. If they don't have medical policy then heck, I'll take it.
                      Let me start with a caveat stating that I have zero insight or insider knowledge as to how the ATF would handle this situation, but since you asked for advice, and I am someone who has successfully completed a few federal LE hiring processes, here you go:

I would wait until you actually get the PT invite to worry about it. It may be 4 weeks away, and you may feel great by then. Cross that bridge when you come to it.

If the invite comes sooner, I would contact the ATF and ask them what your options are.

I personally would not do anything that could delay my process, unless I absolutely had to. If you can pass, without injuring yourself further, I would just take the test. There are just too many people fighting for these spots, and you don't want to miss an opportunity.

That's my $.02. I wish you the best and hope you heal quick!
                      Last edited by P.K. Highsmith; 09-16-2014, 07:07 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• bayranger
                        Forum Member
                        • Jun 2014

I'm in the next group about to start the process. Just to help you out, I'll switch places with you and you can wait until I would be taking mine. That's just the type of helpful guy I am!
                        So where am I reporting for my PTT?

Comment

• bayranger
                          Forum Member
                          • Jun 2014

Seriously though unless you don't mind putting it off, I'd take it if I felt I could pass. But of not, I'd say best case is you wait until that agent that would be administering your test has another group to test (probably December-ish) and let you test with them. Again though, that would essentially put you in with the next group as I'm sure they won't let you move on until you've completed the PTT.
                          Sorry for your injury btw. That stinks.

Comment

• maximus52
                            Forum Member
                            • Jul 2011

Thanks for the advice guys. I intend on taking the PTT especially since someone on the forum a page back said HR told them the test should be in a couple weeks. Suppose to go back to doc in 2 weeks for MRI to see severity of tears. Like I said, I can pass the test but it isn't pretty, this injury has done a number on me.

Just a quick bit of advice: I've worked out my whole life and consider myself in good shape but I have always neglected strengthening my lower back and stretching my hamstrings. Make sure to do that cause this nagging injury sucks.

Comment

• bayranger
                              Forum Member
                              • Jun 2014

".... I've worked out my whole life and consider myself in good shape but I have always neglected strengthening my lower back and stretching my hamstrings."
                              You just described most every dude in here. 1,000 hours chest and arms. 500 hours lats and legs. 20 minutes of stretching and lower back. Seems like a legit ratio...

Comment

• FEDLEO4
                                Forum Member
                                • Jan 2011

All:
                                I was contacted earlier to take the PTT next week. Things are rolling. I just took the test about 2 weeks ago.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12103 users online. 74 members and 12029 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...