300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 85rx-7gsl-se View Post
    Well I currently have a maybe yes response. Apparently they loved my academic background and my current work position, but are concerned about lack of experience working in teams or with felons. So I think they are going to re-advertise, but I am still in consideration.
    Just my .02 cents...You are obviously doing something right. Making it this far without any relevant experience is simply amazing, so hold your head high. (Not sure if a hearing officer is actually law enforcement?)

In my office, having an advanced degree and at least 8 yrs experience is damn near required, just to get in front of the Chief for an interview.

As in all Federal Agencies, it is extremely competitive to get an Officer gig (this includes Assistants). I’ve seen everyone from SA’s looking for a more family friendly 6c position, to AUSA’s and Federal Defenders apply. Most don’t get an interview because Chief’s are looking for prior hands on work experience. If the current process doesn’t work out, and you want to pursue this field at the Federal level, I highly suggest you get your foot in the door with a state parole agency or a county level probation office.

Last but not least, apply to EVERY USPSO/USPO position that you see on the U.S. Courts website. Keep us posted!

Comment

Originally posted by PSOSAC View Post
      Just my .02 cents...You are obviously doing something right. Making it this far without any relevant experience is simply amazing, so hold your head high. (Not sure if a hearing officer is actually law enforcement?)

In my office, having an advanced degree and at least 8 yrs experience is damn near required, just to get in front of the Chief for an interview.

As in all Federal Agencies, it is extremely competitive to get an Officer gig (this includes Assistants). I’ve seen everyone from SA’s looking for a more family friendly 6c position, to AUSA’s and Federal Defenders apply. Most don’t get an interview because Chief’s are looking for prior hands on work experience. If the current process doesn’t work out, and you want to pursue this field at the Federal level, I highly suggest you get your foot in the door with a state parole agency or a county level probation office.

Last but not least, apply to EVERY USPSO/USPO position that you see on the U.S. Courts website. Keep us posted!
      Thank you for the encouragement. No a hearing officer position is not in law enforcement, but instead conducting administrative law hearings. The thing they liked is the fact that I apply laws on a daily basis in making my determinations. Also it appears that for the court services side of the operation, there is a big push for J.D. holders since they have the writing skills desired by judges and DAs.

Comment

I'm thinking this would be a good position to apply to, just to get your foot in the door....and then transfer/promote to a USPO.

It's hard to get information on this position since some districts don't have it.

Comment

Originally posted by diddy41 View Post
          i'm thinking this would be a good position to apply to, just to get your foot in the door....and then transfer/promote to a uspo.

It's hard to get information on this position since some districts don't have it.
          it lives!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8429 users online. 301 members and 8128 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X